• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE Z970 ZMAX - Tether/Hotspot killed by OTA b33 and/or b34 Updates? [TMO, Unlocked, Using H2O]

Taken Aback

Lurker
The subject really says it all.

I grabbed my $45 Walmart Family Plan/T-Mobile one last year, and unlocked it for use on H2O.

All was well on 4.4.2. for a long time, but I did have some dropouts and 3G downspeeds at times, and thought the VOLTE and Band 12 upgrade might solve things. I didn't really need root, so just waited and considered the OTA updates.

Well, in a weak moment, I relented. As soon as completed, I found web browsing seems the same, if not a little slower, despite my seeing the 4GLTE icon more often than before, but real regret set in pretty soon after.

Now, it's stupid of me not to run it through it's paces after b33 to know if it was just this and not b34, but after both updates completed, I found I couldn't tether successfully, nor access the mobile hotspot anymore.

In both circumstances, my laptop connects, but declares no internet connection found despite the successful connection.

I've tried all the proposed setting changes mentioned in old threads despite their more being about the MetroPCS version than the T-Mobile one I have (adding dun to the APN, creating a new APN, putting it into Airplane mode before changing to either connection, etc, etc.)

As you can imagine, no success.

So, I'm desperate to know....

Has this specifically happened to anyone else?

Is there a way to recover this functionality?

Sadly, I kinda depend on this function as I have Carpel Tunnel, and using the laptop for extensive email is easier on my hands.

Thanks for any advice!

I wirelessly tether my laptop daily from my ZMax w/B34. I do lose connection frequently but I really thought it was due to my signal or lack thereof. I also tether my Roku and binge frequently with no hiccups. Same signal but I guess the buffering is the reason for no interruptions in video and audio. I'm also interested in what others have to say on this.

I do lose connection frequently...

That's a HUGE difference, though. I can't even get that. It does feel as if it's disabled by design, but I see no wide complaints of this happening to others.

Still, could this be because I'm on a MVNO like H2O? It did work before the updates while unlocked and on H2O with the same APN settings.

Back
Top Bottom