• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root zte zmax z970 soft brick?

n3ar

Lurker
Currently in a bit of a predicament... recently factory reseted my zte zmax z790 and attempted to change the recovery back to stock which worked! (metropcs by the way) usually i back up all of my stuff but this time i think i screwed up... not sure where, anyways android won't boot iv'e tried installing the stock rom from masterchief87 provided but i keep getting an error message

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:2 footer[2]=0x44 footer[3]=0x25
E:signature verification failed
package corrupt.
Installation aborted
^^^^^^^^^
I've tried re-downloading the stock rom to reinstall it as suggested in other forms still does not work any help would be awesome!

I'm having a similar issue. I tapped to install the system update back in September, and it's put me into the same loop. I have tried sideloading the stock ROM, but it comes up with basically the same error as yours. I will be following this thread....

** Edit: I retardedly did not have my phone backed-up or rooted, or anything. It was actually my wife's phone. So it was all factory settings, etc.

I'm having a similar issue. I tapped to install the system update back in September, and it's put me into the same loop. I have tried sideloading the stock ROM, but it comes up with basically the same error as yours. I will be following this thread....

** Edit: I ******edly did not have my phone backed-up or rooted, or anything. It was actually my wife's phone. So it was all factory settings, etc.
I'll make sure to update if i find a solution this is my only phone so i'm S.O.L if i don't find anything soon :/

Update: I was able to somehow get adb shell working on it and was able to upload the zip update on to the phone but with yet again no progress i hit the signature verification wall again... my pc did recognize but i am also unable to change the recovery, tried flashing a recovery on to it by changing the .apk on a file to .zip to see if maybe that would do any good sadly did not work D:

I tried a few things as well. I kept getting the verification error while using adb. And I have torn apart the internet today looking for a fix on this. That sucks it's your only phone.

If anyone sees this, is there a way to put CWM on the phone at this point? Is that at all possible? I feel like, if I had CWM on here prior to this, I would not have had the issues I'm having.

** Edit: I ******edly did not have my phone backed-up or rooted, or anything. It was actually my wife's phone. So it was all factory settings, etc.
If your phone was purchased less than a year ago then you need to make a warranty claim. If its more than a year old then you are out of luck. Sorry.

If your phone was purchased less than a year ago then you need to make a warranty claim. If its more than a year old then you are out of luck. Sorry.

I soft bricked my phone too and we are all pretty much just sol. I spoke with ZTE about the warranty and they said the warranty is void if there has been anything done to software! I lied and claimed i got an ota and i was trying to install it and my phone died during the process causing me to loose my os and soft brick my phone. They pretty much said tough shit. So to hell with ZTE! Im stuck w/o a phone until i get my income tax unfortunately. And i just paid my freaking phone bill too. Messed up

Also ive never really had any problems with this phone until recently. Ive rooted 3 of these phones and installed cynagen and broken os. I prefer broken os i really liked it. But now i feel defeated i should of done a little more research. I found a thread wbere masterchief pretty much warned me about what happened to me. Wish i would of saw that before i screwed up my phone. My phone was rooted, i had broken os everything was fine and i should of just left it alone. But my home button was acting up so i went to twrp to restore a back up. Well i didnt know that since i had broken switcher that was a no no. When twrp told me do you want to reboot there's no os i freaked out! Wasnt aware to just ignore that message! So now im screwed, ive tried everything and i mean everything. Since the guys at metro and T-Mobile know nothing and are no use they just made everything worse. The dumbass flashed the stock recovery telling me thats why the stock rom wasnt installing. I told him that wasbt a good idea but he was one of those know it all types. So now i completely lost twrp! If i still had that i might of still.had some hope! He did that and formatted my whole system, so i have nothing. Im just stuck in stock.recovery and then hes all like theres nothing we can do. And i asked about the manufacturer warranty. And he said it wont work.because the software has been tampered. I was like you're tbe dumbass that messed my phone up even more! Anyway so i stuck my sd card in my friends phone installed that stock rom like ten times, ive done the md5 check, so.everything seemed fine. I go to install.update from sd card in stock recovery. It acts like its trying to work, but then bam it never fails. The damn error message pops up saying something about signature verification. So im like wtf..lost root now that twrp is gone and my phone being formatted! Im not sure if i can install twrp through stock.recovery or install a root? But im pretty positive id need a pc which i dont have. Just wish that stock rom zip would work. I feel defeated and like a complete dumbass. This is the first time ive ever soft bricked a phone. Im stuck using a pos old lg for wifi. Metro.wont switch my account over to.this phone even tbough i.just paid my damn bill! Pretty much im pissed and wish tbere was someway to get tbat stock.zip to flash in stock recovery. Ive came to.the conclusion the only.way is tbru adb and i dont have a clue on whay commands to give in order to install the stock rom that way? Just sucks...

Back
Top Bottom