• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Guide to Rooting 2.2 for Windows and Linux

HELPPP

for some reason, my droid couldn't install the fall - said the file or directory couldnt be found so i clicked reboot

now my phone won't turn on!! it keep showing the red light saying no battery and keeps auto shutting off!!! help

you probably have the file named update.zip.zip. Windows does this sometimes.

Reactions: lepa71
Upvote 0
Linux instructions work perfectly. I just flashed SPRecover_ES81, then installed FRG22-Release. Worked like a charm.

You might make a specific instruction to never remove the Droid from USB during the process, as well as note that putting the battery back in the phone with USB connected triggers a reboot of the phone. I ended up having it restart twice before I hit the "X" key fast enough to intercept.

Bill Stone

Upvote 0
Please help! I did the FRG01B update and am not happy with the way my droid is performing so I'm trying to follow your instructions to move up to FRG22. I'm connected via USB to my XP PC. The droid screen shows:

Bootloader
2C.7C
Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB

I'm stuck at item 12 & 13. The RSD Lite is running but all the fields are blank. I manually input SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf for the filename and hit START, but nothing is happening. I'm afraid to unplug the droid and don't know where to go from here.

Please help,
Thanks

Upvote 0
Please help! I did the FRG01B update and am not happy with the way my droid is performing so I'm trying to follow your instructions to move up to FRG22. I'm connected via USB to my XP PC. The droid screen shows:

Bootloader
2C.7C
Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB

I'm stuck at item 12 & 13. The RSD Lite is running but all the fields are blank. I manually input SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf for the filename and hit START, but nothing is happening. I'm afraid to unplug the droid and don't know where to go from here.

Please help,
Thanks

You have to actually go to the file. Just manually putting in the file name wont do anything. Click the box thats ... and browse to where you have the file on your computer

Upvote 0
You have to actually go to the file. Just manually putting in the file name wont do anything. Click the box thats ... and browse to where you have the file on your computer

Thanks, I did that and browsed/selected the sbf file and the FILE PROPERTIES filled in. Nothing shows up under DEVICE PROPERTIES and when I hit START, nothing shows up on the droid screen.

Am I still doing something wrong?

Upvote 0
Thanks, I did that and browsed/selected the sbf file and the FILE PROPERTIES filled in. Nothing shows up under DEVICE PROPERTIES and when I hit START, nothing shows up on the droid screen.

Am I still doing something wrong?

You probably arent doing anything wrong. RSD Lite is a super finicky program.

Do you have the correct drivers installed?

You can always turn off the phone and turn it back on to get out of the bootloader. You havent done anything that will have adverse affects on your phone

Upvote 0
You probably arent doing anything wrong. RSD Lite is a super finicky program.

Do you have the correct drivers installed?

You can always turn off the phone and turn it back on to get out of the bootloader. You havent done anything that will have adverse affects on your phone

I just downloaded/installed the current USB driver from Moto (32 bit for XP).

When I connected the phone I didn't do the MOUNT thing, which I normally do with USB (the instructions didn't mention that). Should I turn off the phone and do the USB mount then restart at #10?

I really appreciate all the handholding.

Upvote 0
I just downloaded/installed the current USB driver from Moto (32 bit for XP).

When I connected the phone I didn't do the MOUNT thing, which I normally do with USB (the instructions didn't mention that). Should I turn off the phone and do the USB mount then restart at #10?

I really appreciate all the handholding.

You dont have to mount anything for the bootloader. You are in the bootloader when you are trying to flash this right?

Upvote 0
OK, I turned off the phone and restarted it a few times and still nothing happens when I press START. In between I tested the phone and it's ok, like you said.

Am I selecting the correct file in RSD Lite? SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf

All the prior steps worked fine, so I don't know where to go from here. Do you think that when Verizon send out 2.2 OTA, it will update my droid, now that it has FRG011B already?

I guess I should have been more patient...

Upvote 0
OK, I turned off the phone and restarted it a few times and still nothing happens when I press START. In between I tested the phone and it's ok, like you said.

Am I selecting the correct file in RSD Lite? SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf

All the prior steps worked fine, so I don't know where to go from here. Do you think that when Verizon send out 2.2 OTA, it will update my droid, now that it has FRG011B already?

I guess I should have been more patient...

that is the correct file. For some reason RSD Lite just does not like some computers. VZW will eventually send out a second OTA but we dont really know when that will be. There are rumors of it starting early next week

Reactions: midax
Upvote 0
OMJ, Thanks for all your help.
Midax, did you get OMJ's build to work? If so how is it running? I'd love to pick your brain because I am in the same boat: not happy with the first update and really want to take full advantage of Droid 2.2's capabilities, though I'm not too confident in my ability to get through all the steps OMJ listed and don't want to brick my phone.

Upvote 0
This is a followup on my installation issue. Based on OMJ's suggestion that the RSD Lite has problems with some PCs, I borrowed my wife's laptop and tried again ... success!!! My droid wasn't showing up as a device when running from my first PC, but did show up on the laptop.

During the update, I did get confused about all the rebooting and I forgot to press Allow Update the first try before pressing Install, but it worked the second try.

Now FRG22 displays in the settings and things seem more stable - except for the wireless connection, and I've been checking another thread for advice on how to fix that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones