• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update: 2.1 OS upgrade for Rogers HTC Magic+

I was on CM6 (froyo) but decided to go with the 2.1 update with rogers for one simple reason: i was losing signal around 10 times a day and the only way to have signal back is airplane on/off or reboot and i'm not the only one to have this issue there's a full post about it here Radio problems with rooted Rogers Magic 32A - CyanogenMod Forum
So what i did is that i installed back the 911RUU and I'm now waiting for the next OTA round. Everyone that want to root their phone get informed before and trust me when i tell you that it's really frustrating to lose signal randomly like that. Froyo is amazing but not worth losing signal like that. I might go back to it when this issue will be fixed.

Upvote 0
I was on CM6 (froyo) but decided to go with the 2.1 update with rogers for one simple reason: i was losing signal around 10 times a day and the only way to have signal back is airplane on/off or reboot and i'm not the only one to have this issue there's a full post about it here Radio problems with rooted Rogers Magic 32A - CyanogenMod Forum
So what i did is that i installed back the 911RUU and I'm now waiting for the next OTA round. Everyone that want to root their phone get informed before and trust me when i tell you that it's really frustrating to lose signal randomly like that. Froyo is amazing but not worth losing signal like that. I might go back to it when this issue will be fixed.
Aside from this issue and installing apps to SD, what are the pros and cons of Froyo 2.2 over this 2.1?

Upvote 0
Aside from this issue and installing apps to SD, what are the pros and cons of Froyo 2.2 over this 2.1?

The biggest pros of froyo would be the voice command it's such amazing and so useful. The cons would be the signal losing thing and i had an issue with my mails, whenever it was checking for new mails it was marking them as non read it's nothing big but pretty annoying in the end. Either from that i don't remember anything if i ever remember of stuff i'll post them.

Upvote 0
I have the Cyberon Voice Commander after the 2.1 upgrade. Is this the same thing?

I don't know i never used Cyberon Voice Commander. The voice command in froyo let you search on google, set your alarm, write note to yourself, get directions, open the map, send texts and emails all this with your voice and it's so accurate.
You also have the speach-to-text that is amazing.

Upvote 0
Can someone please test voicedialing using a bluetooth headset Under original 1.5 we could launch a call by pressing the button on a bluetooth headset, say a name from the contacts, and use that to dial.

We lost that feature after the 911 bug fix (and anyone who bought a Magic+ never had it), and it was supposed to be fixed in this update.

Tried it with both of my bluetooth headsets, no dice with either one. I can't find Voice Dialer anywhere, thought it was supposed to be included in the Rogers/HTC version of 2.1. Top Voice Control still works with my headsets, but you can't launch it with the b/t button, you still need to launch it separately on the handset (which is still illegal while driving here in Ontario).

Upvote 0

Noticeably faster is the first thing I see. Apps that take advantage of new API calls (ya'll will eventually be in the same boat as being stuck on 1.5).
But much faster is a biggie which translates to better battery life in some cases.

Upvote 0
just got off the phone with HTC and they are saying that they have problems with there servers ...as of Friday they took there servers offline.....i dont understand what that means as im able to still download the file that they are hosting. They are trying to tell me that the file is not the right one or that is not complete.

Upvote 0
just got off the phone with HTC and they are saying that they have problems with there servers ...as of Friday they took there servers offline.....i dont understand what that means as im able to still download the file that they are hosting. They are trying to tell me that the file is not the right one or that is not complete.

The servers are related to OTA update which are off since Friday 10am. The manual update is giving a signature error which I believe is a faulty file. My phone is not rooted and I am still getting the signature error. I am currently waiting for the servers to be up so I can get the OTA download. Once the servers are up and the OTA is available you can get it instantly by going to Settings->About Phone->System software update and press Check now. If you get the message like "No updates available. Your phone is up to date" mean that the server is still down. The phone is just giving you a default message. Hope this helps.

I am also following Mary @Rogers as she is pretty good in proving updates. Mary @ Rogers (RogersMary) on Twitter

Upvote 0
im out of the country so im forced to do a manual update....they are saying the server being down also affects the file hosted via on the website. What i dont understand is that i was able to download the whole file ...its a .exe ...if he was corrupt it wouldn't run period. Completely unrelated the the server...i think they are hosting either the wrong file or did not do enough testing.

Upvote 0
and the drama continues. It's September 2010 and we still can't get the update going huh? lol. Signature Errors, OTA saying firmware is already updated.. What a circus.

Isn't it possible to take your phone into a Rogers store and just ask a damn employee to get it installed? If they can't do it, they can process a repair or replacement on the spot no?

Just thinking of alternatives here....

Upvote 0
@thewhitewizard: The problem is that as long as the HTC serves are down, the instore clerks won't be able to help you. They don't do anything other than start the manual OTA update from the phone for people who don't know how.

They are not going to do the manual file installation from a computer, I doubt. And if they did, they would likely get the same Signture 132 error the people who have tried seem to be getting.

Upvote 0
I'm so tired of this crap... Rogers, this is going to be my LAST phone from your company. I'm taking my HUGE family plan as soon as I can. Why?

- This update fiasco. OTA is up and down. Rogers won't provide a working manual update.
- My current phone is wiped out because of the broken manual update. No sense setting it back up as I'll lose it all again. I'm essentially stuck with a "dumb" phone until the update is fixed.
- We regularly end up in areas where there is no signal on our Android or iPhones, yet our old backup Bell Moblilty phone works fine.
- Call manager does not work at all. It blocks calls when there are no rules set up - and the user interface just sucks.

There are lots of alternatives out there.

Upvote 0
...(And before you ask, yes Voice Dialler has been added back :) )...

Mary, I posted separately that I have been unable to find/launch Voice Dialler with the update (I happily had no problems with my OTA update), and certainly haven't been able to use my Bluetooth headset to initiate calls. Was it not actually included, or is there perhaps a problem with my update that I haven't otherwise noticed?

Thx

Upvote 0
Anyway, what I would like to know is if ANY Fido user got their phone to update via OTA or manually?

Regards,

I'm with Fido. OTA over wireless worked fine for me. Not overly happy with the battery life, not happy at all with the lack of voice search - cyberon voice commander sucks. I had it on my old Windows phone and it was way better. Overall it seems speedier. The only real noticeable benefit is the ability to run more apps that aren't available on 1.5.

Upvote 0
As of midnight ota server. seems back. Waiting for my download..

I tried it.
Downloaded it.
Installed it.
Failed.

Magic1.jpg

Magic2.jpg

Magic3.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones