• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MetroPCS..hello..hello...goodbye

Is there any way to get sound on the actual boot animation? I already changed the Metro power on sound but I would like something to go along with the boot animation itself.
On a side note: what are some of the coolest boot animations you have seen? I just got one of the splash gate from the Stargate movie/tv show. It's not bad but it would be so much cooler if it had the sound fx to go along with it!

Upvote 0
there's supposedly a line you can add to the desc.txt in the bootanimation.zip that would allow sound, It's supposed to be structured like this" (Using example of the bootanimation I posted had it could have sound)

--------

320 480 10

p 1 0 main
s none

p 0 0 loop
s example.ogg

-----------

ogg file could be named anything but the full filename would have to be present after the "s".

Some people say the .ogg should reside in the /data/local/ folder while others have said it should be packed in the bootanimation.zip along with the other folders and files. Some say the file should be an .mp3. I've tried all 3 ways and none of them seems to produce sound on the Optimus M.

Upvote 0
Put this file: bootanimation.zip on your sdcard then move it to the /data/local/ folder with root explorer then reboot your phone.
Do you know or anyone know how to put this/ A .gif or this image in there instead of the one posted? Ive been trying to put this image in there instead, Thanks a lot!:)
bootanimationzip.gif

Upvote 0
Do you know or anyone know how to put this/ A .gif or this image in there instead of the one posted? Ive been trying to put this image in there instead, Thanks a lot!

I've put together a few boot animations just using random gifs I find. Here are a couple. (Previews are larger or smaller in size than what will appear on your phone).

Back to the Future:
b2tf2.gif

b2tf-bootanimation.zip

Family Guy-Brian PBJ Time:
PeanutButterJellyTime_3.gif

pbj-bootanimation.zip

Just rename them to bootanimation.zip and put them in the /data/local folder on your phone.

I'm probably gonna make a bunch more and will just start a new thread for custom boot animations.

Reactions: nurdyG
Upvote 0
It's not a problem of Root Explorer at all. Root explorer was made to work with r/w privileges when your phone is rooted so you will never get an update for fixing that from the developer (after all it's not his fault). If you update to 2.2.1 you only have 3 options:

1- Get it back to 2.2.0 with the andy's method
2 - Wait for z4root or another app/method update to get root on 2.2.1
3- Stay unrooted forever

I contest #3...lol

The first release rom from me will be a 2.2.1 fully rooted rom.
It will be a basic clone rom of the MPCS with permanent root, system enhancements including removal of odex files for mods and themes. Built in busybox. Google, Metro and third party apks stripped and placed on sdcard to optionally install by user. Added some extra bindaries.

Sample of the Recovery
OptimusRecovery.png

Upvote 0
I've put together a few boot animations just using random gifs I find. Here are a couple. (Previews are larger or smaller in size than what will appear on your phone).

Back to the Future:
b2tf2.gif

b2tf-bootanimation.zip

Family Guy-Brian PBJ Time:
PeanutButterJellyTime_3.gif

pbj-bootanimation.zip

Just rename them to bootanimation.zip and put them in the /data/local folder on your phone.

I'm probably gonna make a bunch more and will just start a new thread for custom boot animations.
Im pretty sure im putting it in the right place? and Is it suppose to turn into a .zip file once i rename it in my phone?

Upvote 0
Like I said in a different thread, I hope I can do anything at all with my phone once this stuff is out in the wild.

I was guinea pigging and I'm able to flash recovery images to my phone successfully but as far as boot images my phone returns bad block errors and I have to completely restore the phone. Don't know what that's about. Could you perhaps elaborate on that richie?

The actual output from terminal when I tried to flash my stock boot.img to my phone was this:

mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00000000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00020000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00040000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00060000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00080000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x000a0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x000c0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x000e0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00100000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00120000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00140000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00160000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00180000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x001a0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x001c0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x001e0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00200000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00220000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00240000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00260000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00280000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x002a0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x002c0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x002e0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00300000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00320000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00340000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00360000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00380000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x003a0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x003c0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x003e0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00400000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00420000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00440000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00460000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00480000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x004a0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x004c0000; skipping
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x004e0000; skipping
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x000a0000"

Ugh...through various google searches using "not writing bad block at 0x000a0000" everything that comes up says either the file system or the actual NAND is damaged.

The thing is LGNPST seems to be able to get this phone back up in working order. So how can it be able to successfully flash the NAND where as I can't?

I may need a replacement.

Upvote 0
GDboot.gif

Put this file: bootanimation.zip on your sdcard then move it to the /data/local/ folder with root explorer then reboot your phone.

That worked! Cool.

Only thing is the new Android animation looks a little squished. But it works.

The /data/local/ folder also has a "temp" sub-folder, but I didn't mess with that. I just copied from sd card and pasted into the /data/local/ folder.

=====

Rats. I thought it also replaced the Metro animation. It didn't. It just replaced the Android animation that was already on there. OK...

Upvote 0
Like I said in a different thread, I hope I can do anything at all with my phone once this stuff is out in the wild.

I was guinea pigging and I'm able to flash recovery images to my phone successfully but as far as boot images my phone returns bad block errors and I have to completely restore the phone. Don't know what that's about. Could you perhaps elaborate on that richie?

The thing is LGNPST seems to be able to get this phone back up in working order. So how can it be able to successfully flash the NAND where as I can't?

I may need a replacement.

How are you trying to flash it?

Upvote 0
Metro Splash screen is a flashable file just like any custom recovery, boot or rom images that richie is working on.

I think I found the Metro Slash screen command.
Can some one confirm:

In terminal or adb, as root type
Code:
playmp3
This should play the PowerOn.mp3

Code:
bootlogo
This should run the Metro Splash screen. Might have to reboot phone to return it to normal.

If these work I can disable the Splash screen altogether...

Upvote 0
I think I found the Metro Slash screen command.
Can some one confirm:

In terminal or adb, as root type
Code:
playmp3
This should play the PowerOn.mp3

Code:
bootlogo
This should run the Metro Splash screen. Might have to reboot phone to return it to normal.

If these work I can disable the Splash screen altogether...

c:\adb>adb shell
$ su
su
# playmp3
playmp3
mode_ringer =2
Inside OMX_GetComponentsOfRole
th_val = 40209e5c
bOutputEosReached || (tunnel && bInputEosReached breaking

Played the hello, hello, hello sound

# bootlogo
bootlogo
#

bootlogo now flashing on and off on my screen. lol

Upvote 0
c:\adb>adb shell
$ su
su
# playmp3
playmp3
mode_ringer =2
Inside OMX_GetComponentsOfRole
th_val = 40209e5c
bOutputEosReached || (tunnel && bInputEosReached breaking

Played the hello, hello, hello sound

# bootlogo
bootlogo
#

bootlogo now flashing on and off on my screen. lol

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Is it the Metro splash ?

FYI: Looking threw the system folder, I see it has a busybox binary already included in /system/bin/

Code:
busybox
whats the output?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones