• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So, how is the OTA treating you?

They do send you a notification. The phone will alert you that there is a new firmware available. You can chose to accept or deny. The manual check is for those of us who want to have this update a little earlier.

Is this your first smart phone? Comparing to other androids out there, I think the thunderbolt delivers. Sure there are LTE issues, but that's to be expected. Battery wise, it's not good, but it's manageable. HTC is notorious for putting crap batteries in their phones. I had the same issue with the incredible. I was disapointed about skype. Who knows if microsoft buyout didn't have anything to with it not being on the TB.

You should not be afraid of the update. There are a lot us (probably more than the ones who are having issues) that are not having any troubles what so ever with the update.
Not my 1st android by far. All I am saying is that the device is Sharp, however it was designed to be so much better. Feel me. How long will it be before the notification is sent from Verizon, Do you think.

Upvote 0
*shrug* Seems the same, to me. Biggest thing I see people talking about is the GPS issues and how the OTA fixed them, but I don't really use the GPS, so I wouldn't know. Haven't noticed any random reboots, but then again, my phone is in my pocket for most of the day, so for all I know, it could be rebooting when I'm not paying attention.

When I first downloaded the OTA yesterday, I thought it improved the speed at which it picked up my data connection, as after it rebooted from the install, it picked up my 4G connection in a matter of seconds (usually takes a minute or two). Today, though, it took the typical 1-2 minutes, so I guess that was just a fluke.

Biggest annoyance I've been having with the Thunderbolt is that, every now and then, it won't pick up 4G and defaults all the way down to 1X, unless I use the LTE OnOff app to force it into 3G. Only rebooting the phone seems to help. I'm *hoping* the OTA fixed this issue. I didn't encounter this problem at all when I turned on my phone this morning, but that's only one day's use. I'll have to wait and see how consistent it is this next week.

Upvote 0
Just like its ridiculous you installed an update with a known issue.:rolleyes:

Update is MANDATORY

Meaning that even if you hold out, it will be forced onto your phone whether you like it or not.

Not his fault that the update is possibly faulty. Even if he DID knowingly install faulty software, he has no choice in the matter.

Upvote 0
I've got to throw my hat in the ring with this reboot issue. My stock thunderbolt never did this before the ota update. It has done it twice tonight and numerous times since the update. As far as I can tell, there is no rhyme or reason as to when or why it is happening. Everything else seems to be operating the same or better though.

Upvote 0
Well I did the update about 6 hours ago and I have not seen any difference. I wasn't aware that they finally released it. I went to the Verizon store since my phone was stuck on 1x and the rep said maybe the update would fix it. While the rep was playing with my phone another rep came over and joined in the conversation. He said that this was actually an old update and the new one was right behind this one. He said it would not do much but fix the 4g to 3 g switch and that the new update would have many more fixes. He was a Small business Verizon rep so I will give his words a little more weight then the first rep. Time will tell. My main concern is having a signal when I lose the 4g and hopefully not drop all the way down to 1x like the last 2 days.

Upvote 0
Feel like not a damn thing has changed. We spent like 2 weeks getting worked up and excited over a release that really doesn't add much of anything. 4G still Fs up and battery life is about the same maybe a little worse. And didn't Verizon say the update included better support for "My Verizon"? Well those noobs definitely didn't fix that as it still doesn't work.

Sounds about right man..

Upvote 0
Possible fix for update issues:

The update process is imperfect for major updates on all Android, leading to any number of odd problems.

Many find these problems go away with a factory reset.

In this first link below, I think I explain this (better than I did previously) what the cause of random problems are, where some suffer, some do not. It links from there to the Evo thread that gives as many strategies as possible to save and restore your stuff so you lose little to none from the reset. The Evo thread was proctored by me, but was a community/team effort to get this squared away for us Evo users.

Since then, this advice has traveled far and wide on our forums with many positive results - so it's not just an Evo thing or HTC thing or even a Froyo thing.

The worst thing that happens for you following our steps is that you get a good backup strategy in case the reset doesn't work and you get your replaced - not too shabby.

You have to work around the Sprint-specific stuff, but I imagine you cats will see through that quickly.

Sorry the instructions for backup are long - they're accommodating rooted and regular users and those who can afford to pay for backup apps as well as those that cannot. Just scan first, then read, so you'll see it a clear procedure with branching for your particular case - then it won't seem so long to read and adopt.

The Facebook links are out of date - sorry, consult this forum for any FB info for the Bolt.

Ignore the warning to avoid if not your phone - that was actually for Droid X users whose phones would brick until that all got resolved.

This is really a staff favorite, guides, mods and even admin, so that's your recommendation right there. ;)

Really hope this clarifies why to do this, and then helps.

http://androidforums.com/fascinate-support-troubleshooting/323542-how-fix-froyo.html

BTW - rooters actually do this often from their bootloaders or ROM Manager when swapping roms sometimes - this way is way more better (I meant to do that).

~~~~~~~~

Conventional wisdom - if you're rooted, never accept an OTA update. You should be able turn that off in your settings under Updates. Look for your updated rooted stock rom at XDA.

Your Thunderbolt rom and kernel master listing is here:

The Official Thunderbolt ROMs and Kernels Listing (Updated 5/12/11 1:40 PM CST) - xda-developers

Hope this helps, even if only a little!

Reactions: rocky s.
Upvote 0
Anyone give vzw a call regarding rebooting issue? What was the response?

I have. Several times. Every Technical support representative knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the phone rebooting at all. No, "yeah I heard that it was happening with the Thunderbolt." or the other standard reply, "I just looked in the system and this is the first time anyone's reported it as an issue."

I've also gone to great lengths to call HTC and to call Verizon PCD which serves as the middleman between HTC and Verizon. Both of those companies in their respective tech support centers, gave me the same response as the Verizon tech support representative. The person I spoke with at HTC said very specifically NO ONE else had reported the issue and had checked the records several times.

If you truly are having problems with your phone, please, call Verizon and HTC and explain to them that you are indeed having problems. The more that they know about this, the more they can address the issue.

It's really great that there are places like this where everyone tries to help each other out with problems, but if that's all that happens, then the people responsible for manufacturing and support will never hear it.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty pissed with this update. My TB was near perfect before it. Last night at work I had 4 random reboots and absolutely NO gps!!!! I tried everything including gps fix from the market, battery pull and making sure all the appropriate location boxes were checked. My gps worked flawlessly before, now....nothing!!! It is vital for my job. Will be calling later today to B!tch!

Upvote 0
So far after the update, I've had one random reboot. Never did this before the update. On top of that, my Gps is also worse!! It will not lock on what so ever now. I also called VZW, they gave me the same crap.answer of "no one else has reported any of these problems". Now when I came to this thread and read off how people have called in saying the same thing. Also telling them that no one has called, all of a sudden she changed her story. Then said, oh no people have called in about the reboots, but nothing with the Gps. Just kept changing their story everytime. It's like they cant admit that they pushed out a bad update and have to blame it on something else

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones