• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Google Privacy Policy

Nope, at least not as a direct result of this issue. The EU's concern over 'privacy' goes way back, and isn't specifically aimed at Google.

Yeah, the EU and the privacy thing is freaking insane. Blurrmany comes to mind and that's just the tip of the iceberg. When you don't want people to be able to go online and see what they could see if they drove down a public street, you know you are going to freak out over any privacy changes.

Possibly forced G+ account if you don't want it, and anonymous names. Plus you could opt out of marketing.

You're talking about possibilities though. So you could opt out of marketing before and now you can't? Is that the big deal? That's a legit concern if true. Source??

What also occurred to me is Google Sync. Right now I can disallow it on the phone.
What if Google overrides this and starts to sync automatically? What will happen to your data charges then?

Now we're freaking out over stuff that MIGHT happen. I don't care about what MIGHT happen. Google could decide it wants to put spy cameras outside my house and peer through my windows. I would be totally freaked out if it did happen. The fact that it could happen means nothing. I'll worry about things when they actually occur or look like they're going to occur. There's nothing that I've seen that indicates Google is going to force Sync to be on. If I'm wrong here, please correct me.

Upvote 0
Market already does. I've seen complaints on here about Market syncing when phone owners don't want it to. Maybe they don't like an "improvement" or don't know how to sync over wifi only. You can't sign out of Market on your phone. I've been looking. You can sign out of the built-in browser, but not Market. And the Market is Google, no?

I think the interface stinks. I'd like to see the search bar bigger.

Upvote 0
Pixel tags are 1 pixel by 1 pixel transparent GIF images hidden in web pages, mobile ads, and emails that are used to track where you've been on the web and whether you're opening emails.

For example if a company sends you a marketing email it will have a 1x1 transparent GIF in it whose image URL is uniquely tagged to your email address. If you open the email (assuming your email client is set to automatically download images) your email client requests that unique image from their web server and then they know that your address is valid and you opened the email. Thats why they are small - low bandwidth.

Similarly with an ad server, the ad image will be generic, but you'll also be served a pixel tag which is unique. When your browser requests the pixel tag URL they know the ad was served successfully. If you then click on the ad and go to another site which also has pixel tags they know that you arrived at the site via the ad, and so on.
Okay, so it's an invisible image, that responds when you download the image from their server?
So it could be used to say, send spam mail to *@gmail.com and only receive hits back from real addresses (that open the email).

Great, another thing to watch out for.... >.>

Upvote 0
^ Exactly. Also, unlike cookies, they're difficult to block, other than turning off all images in your browser and email client, because the browser/client can't know for sure its a 1x1 image until after its downloaded it. Fiendishly clever!

As to the policy changes, it doesn't sound like google will be collecting any data they don't already, it just won't be (as) compartmentalised within their own different services. I don't really see that how that changes anything.

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0
Firefox has a few blockers. As for email - text only.

What is irking me about Google lately is the fact that if you have decided to NOT use a service after you have tried it, you can't remove yourself from that service. You can clean out an album or a blog, but the service is still listed.

Buzz is defunct, never signed up, but there it is in Dashboard with a 1 after it.

I have a private profile, but if this was public to other users it would be false info as I am NOT subscribed. Blogger lists a number of posts - if you click, there is nothing. I deleted them. So it's false and padding numbers. I've done the same with Picasa. Trouble is any followers will still be listed whether or not they have a public profile.

If anyone shows up as a follower, and their email is posted, will Google block any contacts with that user if that user has a private profile? Or can anyone who sees it send email?

Upvote 0
Google offers so many good services for free. They must be evil, right? Apple's products look nicer and cost more, surely they must be good?

I suppose there's one thing I can think of that puts the iPhone ahead of any Android phone: Apple supports it. There's really no reason for Google to support any one Android phone. They make the OS and it's free, and phone manufacturers use it and pass the savings along. Or at least that's how it should work.

Anyway, I read Google's new privacy policy and I didn't see anything amiss, though I'm not a lawyer. Just seemed to me they were simplifying it.

Reactions: Dwayne22
Upvote 0
yes there is definitely something evil going on at google....... shame on them for clarifying, simplifying, and being honest about their privacy policy......... unlike good old apple who specifically say in their privacy policy that they will store data on things like the exact location a unique personal identifier (your phones ID) is used and have already been caught selling that information

as far as superior hardware goes....... Im not one to proclaim my ePeen is bigger than yours...... but I will say that if you think releasing outdated hardware that Android phones have already been using for a year on their lower end phones and software that STILL cant perform basic functions is superior then enjoy that iphone

Reactions: Dwayne22
Upvote 0
privacy's gone. We are now living in a world where our personal information is everywhere and easy available to anyone who with the use of a program such as webwatcher or similar can monitor your every key stroke and web page viewed. such information is stored at a third party and who knows who has access to that.
It is frightening but no matter who you are and how safe you may feel there is always somebody watching you.

Upvote 0
Google still needs to do a bit with the services. If you used Picasa at one time, no longer have anything there (you might be using a pay for site to sell) it will still be listed on your profile. Any followers will be listed, too.

I've looked at Dashboard and there's still one post in Buzz(not mine - Google's) sitting there. Buzz is defunct.

Upvote 0
I will be leaving behind my android phone for the iPhone 4s because I do not accept Google's privacy policy that is being forced upon every android user (and because Apple products are far superior). Is anyone else planning the same? My guess is that millions of people will.
Good luck.

But at least don't let yourself be fooled, they're all companies, they're here to make money, simple as that. There's no charity.

Apple products are superior? In what exactly?

Mind you, Apple doesn't even produce their hardware, and iPhone uses a lot of Samsung parts.

But looks like you've been brainwashed already. Too bad.

Upvote 0
^ Exactly.

Google already collects this data. There was no opt out before, there's no opt out in the new policy. BUT if there ever is legislation that says Google have to provide an opt out on data collection, then after March 1st at least there will only be one policy to opt out of and not 70.

Upvote 0
I've read through Google's updated policy and nothing jumped out at me as unusual or wrong.

Anybody complaining about what Google might do in the future should really realize that Google is a publicly traded company whose business is to make money. They make money the same way Facebook makes money, by indexing everybody and targeting advertisements. Your ISP provides you email (in most cases) and the "Email" app in Android can access it. You don't need Google. If you use Google, they're saying they'll share your info across all their services (of which they have a freakin' LOT, most free) and will keep your stuff private unless subpoenaed. That's more than fair.

Then again, I am biased toward Google, as a fan. Unlike Microsoft and unlike Apple, they've made a business out of providing good, free services. I've paid Google a dime for an app once. That's all the money Google has gotten out of my personal funds. For all they offer, I think they deserve a little slack.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I think anyone complaining about what anyone might do in the future is a bit silly. We have no idea what any company or entity is going to do. My boss could cut my salary in half tomorrow. He has every right to do that even though it would piss me off and I'd be quitting by the day after tomorrow. It'd be ridiculous for me to complain now about the fact that he could do that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones