• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much longer will you keep your EVO 4G?

Who is upgrading to the LTE and who is staying Old School?

• Going to upgrade to the EVO LTE and not look back.

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Staying with the Original EVO, still kicking butt!

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm dumping this thing in a month or so. It's a great phone, but Sprint towers in my area are horrible to say the least, even though the coverage maps and CS say my area should be excellent. It was my fault for not talking to anyone, and just going by the coverage maps when I first bought this thing.
Personally, I am seriously considering going back to a contract.

Upvote 0
Will be keeping mine until Jan or Feb next year. Been using my upgrades for other people but since Sprint dropped WiMax it is time to find a great LTE phone. Problem is that I doubt I find one that has been as good to me as this one has. Will be passing this one down to either my child or nephew to use over wifi and for music and such. Unless I can find a camera that works front,back and camcorder on ICS and then i may have to just give up my upgrade one more time :D

Upvote 0
Just sold mine for 125.00. great phone but it was time to move on. Thought i was getting the one x but bought the galaxy s3 instead. The lack of sd memory and not being able to remove battery made the s3 my choice, that and i got a new one for 350.00 from craigslist , which i use on straight talk and so far i like. Awesome phone just wish it was brighter

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Just sold mine for 125.00. great phone but it was time to move on. Thought i was getting the one x but bought the galaxy s3 instead. The lack of sd memory and not being able to remove battery made the s3 my choice, that and i got a new one for 350.00 from craigslist , which i use on straight talk and so far i like. Awesome phone just wish it was brighter

what? no note 2? LOL

the s3 is a great phone. you chose wisely. i was close to getting one myself. But i did not like the feel of it. plus i'm an htc guy.

Upvote 0
i am wanting to upgrade.. the evo is getting left behind.. cant keep up with the new games.

to either the S3 or the Note2.. the LTevo with only 1gb RAM is holding me back. so i am going to give sammy a chance to show me the light.

the issue is $$$ and S-pen.

S3 - rumored to be $50 on black friday at sprint. and get a Nexus 7
or
N2 - with the bigger screen and S-pen .. multi-window apps running. but $299!

Upvote 0
i am wanting to upgrade.. the evo is getting left behind.. cant keep up with the new games.

to either the S3 or the Note2.. the LTevo with only 1gb RAM is holding me back. so i am going to give sammy a chance to show me the light.

the issue is $$$ and S-pen.

S3 - rumored to be $50 on black friday at sprint. and get a Nexus 7
or
N2 - with the bigger screen and S-pen .. multi-window apps running. but $299!

Perhaps "try them on"..as in, I don't know how you carry a phone, and see how it feels on your belt, or in your pocket--wherever...see how it feels in your hand, how light/heavy it it etc etc.....and like you mentioned--memory, speed etc....
Lots of factors that sometimes bewilder me!:)

Upvote 0
what? no note 2? LOL

the s3 is a great phone. you chose wisely. i was close to getting one myself. But i did not like the feel of it. plus i'm an htc guy.
i agree, it felt cheap but with a nice case its good to go and i am an htc guy to just wish the one x had expandable memory and a removable battery. And yeah the note 2 is huge
case2.jpg

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I will be getting rid of my Evo as soon as I'm eligible for upgrade if not sooner!!!! I have had nothing but problems with mine and there are so many errors on my phone that I can basically only use it for calling purposes now!! grrrrr .... The Evo was my first android phone and IM NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!!!!! If I stay in the Android world I will definitley be going with APPLE next!!! I will definitley tell anyone I know to stray away from the HTC products as they really have no support system at all!!

Upvote 0
I will be getting rid of my Evo as soon as I'm eligible for upgrade if not sooner!!!! I have had nothing but problems with mine and there are so many errors on my phone that I can basically only use it for calling purposes now!! grrrrr .... The Evo was my first android phone and IM NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!!!!! If I stay in the Android world I will definitley be going with APPLE next!!! I will definitley tell anyone I know to stray away from the HTC products as they really have no support system at all!!
yeah i agree with rx, my og evo, evo 3d and now evo lte has been great. i never had any issues with any of those devices. not sure where i go after the evo lte, but that is to far down the line for me to say.

sorry that your experience was not so great. but if you still have issues, we can certainly try and help.

Upvote 0
LMAO a "phablet". LOL who really wants big a$$ phone in their pocket.

Actually, I prefer the return of the stylus for note taking and precise drawing.

The Galaxy Note III with 1080p screen might get me to switch. The Note II is only slightly larger than an EVO LTE or even a S III, but so much more powerful. It is like a tablet for the pocket with which one can make calls and stay connected.

Right now though, I am enjoying my rooted EVO 4G with pure Android ROM. It is so slick and completely functional without the Sprint bloatware. I probably will not get another phone regardless if it is not rooted.

Upvote 0

Let me say your experience is not typical. If you can accurately describe your problems, wise members here can help. If you have a stock phone, even Sprint can help.

If you improperly flashed the ROM, even to a known stable one, the onus may be on your technique. There are solutions if you want to find them. The members here are more helpful than any Forum and on par with XDA.

One problem I can see immediately is that your spell checker is not working. ;)

Might that be a clue? :D

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I'll be getting rid of my EVO 4G at the end of my contract. The phone was nice in the beginning, but I'm tired of seeing "this item is not compatible with your device" when I want to download certain apps.

My Sprint contract is up on 12/27 and I'm leaving Sprint and their crappy service. They never provided any 4G service in my area and they probably won't till the end of 2013, if even then.

I'll be switching carriers and getting the Note 2.

Upvote 0
I am sticking with the EVO 4G until something comes out that makes me lust.

Right now, I don't see anything that hits the spot. From what I can tell, the EVO4G is like the most popular phone on this forum. It has the most threads and replies for a sub-forum (at least, from a glance, it seems to be the most popular).

For this reason, I appreciate what the EVO4G means. The more people who have it...means that more stuff gets developed for it. I'd hate to have one of those phones with like 150 threads in the sub-forum. That would suck.

At this point, I am waiting for more quad-core options. I know LG has one (bleh) and the latest Samsung Note 2 has quad-core. I'll be holding off until there are more quad-core options...and I'll either get the Samsung S4 or HTC's first quad-core flagship.

Upvote 0
I finally rooted my phone last night with an ICS build. Its made it a completly new phone for me. I plan on holding on to my phone now for a while longer until there are a few quad core phones out and I will decide what to get then.
Can you please tell me where you got whatever download you needed to root your phone...I am a total newbie and would like to root my phone to clear out the clutter! Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones