• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Um, I think this battery issue will be a problem...

IHateMyTreo

Android Expert
  • Apr 22, 2010
    Whistler BC and Los Angeles
    After a week of use, and charges/discharges, the conclusion is that the battery drains faster than anything I've ever used.

Yes, I've followed all the battery-saving steps, turned off things when not in use, installed Juice Defender, etc. But it still drains down to 20% in 3.5 hours of normal use.

Here's how the battery use breaks down, according to the on-board battery app:

32% android system
    23% cell standby
    17% phone idle
    13% display
    9% blue tooth
    4% voice calls
    2% dialer

Up time 4:01
    Awake 1:51

If this is the "norm" then this may have to go back to Verizon. However everything else about the device is exceptional.

3.5 hours? Something isn't right. Maybe a bad battery? I know we've heard some questionable reviews on the battery life, but if that's how long the battery lasted during professional reviews, there's no way we wouldn't have heard about it. Beyond that, I don't see Verizon releasing a phone with such a poor battery life.

Upvote 0
    Sense is a killer, because it functions kind of like one giant, power hungry widget. It is a ui interface... on top of another interface. Like I posted before, those that love Sense should not complain about the battery (not saying the OP loves Sense).

I would like to turn Sense off if possible and then I will:

1. Disable GPS
    2. Disable bluetooth
    3. Disable or remove the social apps (they are power suckers too)

Should be good for a few hours, at least until the extended battery arrives.

Upvote 0
    Sense is a killer, because it functions kind of like one giant, power hungry widget. It is a ui interface... on top of another interface. Like I posted before, those that love Sense should not complain about the battery (not saying the OP loves Sense).

I would like to turn Sense off if possible and then I will:

1. Disable GPS
    2. Disable bluetooth
    3. Disable or remove the social apps (they are power suckers too)

Should be good for a few hours, at least until the extended battery arrives.

Sense UI isn't the battery hog you make it out to be.

There are many other factors that impact battery life.

Upvote 0
    After a week of use, and charges/discharges, the conclusion is that the battery drains faster than anything I've ever used.

Yes, I've followed all the battery-saving steps, turned off things when not in use, installed Juice Defender, etc. But it still drains down to 20% in 3.5 hours of normal use.

Here's how the battery use breaks down, according to the on-board battery app:

32% android system
    23% cell standby
    17% phone idle
    13% display
    9% blue tooth
    4% voice calls
    2% dialer

Up time 4:01
    Awake 1:51

If this is the "norm" then this may have to go back to Verizon. However everything else about the device is exceptional.

What is the reception in your area like? Is it jumping back and forth between 3g and 1x a lot?

Upvote 0
    Not unexpected. Android can consume lots of power because it doesn't restrict applications using the CPU. The active widgets and wallpaper take lots of power and can require 3G or Wifi communication to stay active.
    There's no reasonable explanation for HTC to have included a smaller battery. They should have included a much larger battery.
    The iPhone 4G will make a big issue of this with even better battery life. The current iPhone 3GS says 300 hours standby, while the Incredible says 146. Not an encouraging comparison.

Upvote 0
    It's funny because I've read reviews from tech sites that say they get a day's worth of battery life after moderate to heavy use, and on the other hand the OP gets 3.5 hours. My first guess would be that you have a bad battery. 3.5 hours is ridiculous for any device no matter what it's running. Sense is definitely not the problem.

Upvote 0
    The current iPhone 3GS says 300 hours standby, while the Incredible says 146. Not an encouraging comparison.

But I think that standby time has to do with the network technology. you will notice that in general, all T-Mobile and ATT phones have MUCH longer standby than the CDMA phones on Verizon/Sprint. But notice that the talk times are similar.

Reactions: Kansas Hokie
    Upvote 0
    It's funny because I've read reviews from tech sites that say they get a day's worth of battery life after moderate to heavy use, and on the other hand the OP gets 3.5 hours. My first guess would be that you have a bad battery. 3.5 hours is ridiculous for any device no matter what it's running. Sense is definitely not the problem.

I agree. The reviews that have been posting about bad-average battery life are talking about the phone dying after 12 hours of heavy use, not 3.5 - I sure hope its just YOUR battery! If it doesn't get better take it into verizon and see if the replacements performs any better!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones