• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The 'I got my stimulus check!' (or not) thread

Thought it would be fun to track and discuss our [US] stimulus checks.

Post if you've received yours, or feel free to have a pity party if you're not getting one.

I understand some people received theirs a couple days ago, and more will receive them today.

If you already have your direct deposit info on file with the government (IRS, Social Security), yours should magically appear in your bank account. If you don't, you can find links in the coronavirus resource thread for setting it up now.

What plans do you have for yours?

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
yep just got my mine this morning. it was a nice way to wake up to. as far as plans go...most of it is going to pay off some of my bills. there are some things i want to buy. but with my reduced hours at work, i'm gonna wait til things get up and running again before i spend any extra cash.

Upvote 0
Oh good! I'm glad you've already received yours. I'm sure your reduced business/pay hasn't been fun.

I was just reading about a bill, proposed a month ago by a Californian and someone from Ohio, which would give $2,000/month payments to all [eligible] people in the US for at least six months. Now, THAT could be interesting!

Upvote 0
Oh good! I'm glad you've already received yours. I'm sure your reduced business/pay hasn't been fun.

I was just reading about a bill, proposed a month ago by a Californian and someone from Ohio, which would give $2,000/month payments to all [eligible] people in the US for at least six months. Now, THAT could be interesting!
i'm in....where do i sign up?:cashdroid::cashdroid::cashdroid:

Upvote 0
I won't get it until forever and I'll want to take a sharpie to it to cover up that awful name that's now holding it up. They don't have my bank info so it's a waiting game for me.
No, it needn't be--I added a link yesterday(?) to the top of the coronavirus resource thread where you can submit your banking info.

And I hear you on that name... :mad: Luckily, I won't have to see it. :D

Upvote 0
I'm actually thinking of adding my Cashapp info, something in the back of my head just doesn't fully trust the website that was thrown together at the last minute....
It's up to you. The IRS is behind it, for whatever that's worth!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
We are behind in filing our taxes for 2018-2019. In 2019 I was gone most of the year and the wife was too busy with her job and taking care of our daughter, dealing with her school schedule, so we didn't file our 2018 taxes and in 2020 I have been home once for four days, I am thinking my wife is going to have download TurboTax and do it that way

Upvote 0
I am thinking my wife is going to have download TurboTax and do it that way
No, I don't think so. I think you can just go to the first link I added to the COVID-19 resources OP, and enter your banking info.

Please let us know if you try that and whether it worked for your situation.

Upvote 0
We are behind in filing our taxes for 2018-2019. In 2019 I was gone most of the year and the wife was too busy with her job and taking care of our daughter, dealing with her school schedule, so we didn't file our 2018 taxes and in 2020 I have been home once for four days, I am thinking my wife is going to have download TurboTax and do it that way
yeah i would do first what @MoodyBlues suggests. i have been reading that the irs is facing a glitch with those who filed for the first time with turbotax and h&r.

Glitches delay stimulus check

Upvote 0
The stimulus check isn't my major concern, yeah the money would be nice, right now I am more concerned with getting our taxes caught up, we normally submit our taxes in February
Another thing is this whole stimulus check thing I think there is more to it, something doesn't feel right about it, gut feeling it's going to cost us more in the long run

Upvote 0
The stimulus check isn't my major concern, yeah the money would be nice, right now I am more concerned with getting our taxes caught up, we normally submit our taxes in February
Another thing is this whole stimulus check thing I think there is more to it, something doesn't feel right about it, gut feeling it's going to cost us more in the long run
yeah, we, the US Government, will be just deeper in debt. we have never been this much under in the red. not sure if we can climb out of what we, the US gov, dug ourselves into......not sure how that will translate to us, the US citizen....hopefully not in higher taxes.

we should not even be calling this the stimulus check. there is no way that the money we are getting will help the economy. it will keep us afloat until we get a vaccine and some sense of normalcy can return....but who knows when that will be. my guess it will not be until early next year....which is why i'm putting it into paying my bills and saving the extra cash in savings until things improve.

Upvote 0
Here's what I get when I try to check the status of my payment:

Screenshot_20200416-165423.png

So I read its FAQ, and found that they're working with Social Security and I don't need to do anything, but check back later. Okay...

Upvote 0
According to Forbes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...s-check-can--and-cant--be-taken-from-you/amp/

Tax debt

Owing tax debt is more common than you’d think. As of 2018, according to the IRS, more than 14 million Americans owed a total of $131 billion in back taxes, penalties and interest to Uncle Sam.

According to the CARES Act, stimulus checks cannot be seized to offset a tax debt. That means if you owe money on your taxes, or are currently on a payment plan to repay your taxes, the federal government cannot take your stimulus check from you to pay off that debt.

If you’re worried about owing taxes for the 2019 tax year and having to send your entire stimulus check straight back to Uncle Sam to cover that bill, keep in mind that the deadline for filing your 2019 taxes and paying any balance owed has been moved to July 15. Plus, if you normally make estimated tax payments, the first one for 2020 is due on July 15, instead of April 15. So if you have more urgent uses for your stimulus check—say paying rent or buying food—you have some extra time to come up with an alternative way to pay your tax bill.

Upvote 0
So I still can file for last year? The deadline in Massachusetts used to be the 20th, Boston Marathon day.
So you're talking about state income tax...or are you? :thinking: To the best of my knowledge, no state can change the deadline for federal income tax, so you must mean state.
Serious question.
What's the last day I can file my taxes this year in the US?
If you're talking about your federal income tax, its deadline, as @MrJavi noted, has been changed from its usual April 15th to July 15th. If state...I have no clue, but your state's web site should have that info.

Upvote 0
ok i lied when i said i was not going to spend my stimulus money. i just went to Total Wine in Pasadena and spent almost $300 on booze.!!!!!!!

being home more just makes me thirsty. i looked at my liquor cabinet and realized how empty it was so i headed to my favorite place on earth.i bought some cheap cigars to go along with booze.

i do not think i spent that much money for booze that was only meant for me. sure, my friend and i bought booze more than that, but that was for the parties we were throwing.

hopefully, this will last for awhile.....LOL

Upvote 0
That's a good bit of booze, @ocnbrze! Hope it lasts awhile. :)

I'm still getting 'payment status not available' when I try to check on mine. As an SSDI recipient, receiving payments via direct deposit from the get-go, I would have thought mine would be among the first wave of payments. I was wrong...

Upvote 0
That's a good bit of booze, @ocnbrze! Hope it lasts awhile. :)

I'm still getting 'payment status not available' when I try to check on mine. As an SSDI recipient, receiving payments via direct deposit from the get-go, I would have thought mine would be among the first wave of payments. I was wrong...
well i'm about to finish one of my six packs i bought, so i hope it lasts too.....LOL

i hope you get it soon....that sucks you have to wait for it. is the wait because you are ssdi?

Upvote 0
well i'm about to finish one of my six packs i bought, so i hope it lasts too.....LOL
Slow it down, neighbor! Next thing you know, we'll be seeing on the local news, with just your feet because you don't want your face shown, 'West Covina man hangs head in shame after being caught hoarding booze!' :D
i hope you get it soon....that sucks you have to wait for it. is the wait because you are ssdi?
Honestly, it doesn't matter one way or the other. I don't need the money. I am so blessed to be financially secure, with a roof over my head that I own outright, while others are struggling so badly. The stimulus check will be used to make additional donations to organizations I admire, some of which are really struggling right now under the crushing weight of helping new clients.

Have you heard of Food Forward? They're an amazing organization I've had a long relationship with. They come to donors' yards and pick fruit from your trees, then donate it to food pantries, homeless shelters, and the like. They were here last Thursday and picked my lemon and orange trees clean! [They only take what you've authorized.] I haven't gotten the report yet, but the last time they were here they harvested 600+ pounds of fruit.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Slow it down, neighbor! Next thing you know, we'll be seeing on the local news, with just your feet because you don't want your face shown, 'West Covina man hangs head in shame after being caught hoarding booze!' :D
LOL it was only a six pack. now a 12 pack ok then yes i would have needed to slow down. i just stopped at the 6 pack. most likely gonna drink some more tonight. i think this time it will be with a very nice bottle of red wine.
Have you heard of Food Forward? They're an amazing organization I've had a long relationship with. They come to donors' yards and pick fruit from your trees, then donate it to food pantries, homeless shelters, and the like. They were here last Thursday and picked my lemon and orange trees clean! [They only take what you've authorized.] I haven't gotten the report yet, but the last time they were here they harvested 600+ pounds of fruit.
i have not, but this sounds like a great idea as i have tons of lemon and tangerines that i do not know what to do with. thanx for the tip.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones