• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does anyone else think the EVO is too powerful

RoboMonkey

Android Expert
May 12, 2010
out of the box? How many people are actually going to come check out a forum to see how to improve their enjoyment out of the phone?

I love the openness of Android, but my God the average Joe will take this phone back in two days after having to charge their battery every four hours.

I think Android needs to allow you to have power themes tied to Scenes and the default theme should be iPhone. :D

LOL.... U might have a point there. Sometimes it feels they packed way to much into this phone with no thought on how it would be able to do everything efficiently without dying every few hours. i see all these threads about all this crap we have to do to preserve battery life and its ridiculous. I personally dont mind and kind of enjoy tweaking my phone, but when u think of things from the average consumers point of view its just a hassle.

No one should have to turn off 4G, Wifi, GPS, Screen Brightness, Back ground sync, etc..... to get decent battery life. Part of the reason people buy these phones is all the things u have to turn off. Its just to much work for your average person. I hope Google focuses on these things from here on. they have answered most of the issues with the technical side of the OS, now its time to focus on polishing it up and improving battery life

Reactions: miami786male
Upvote 0
Never thought I'd hear that complaint...and not to beat a dead horse, but some do get decent life with a fair amount of usage. My wife is a cell phone "average joe" and can't put the EVO down and is getting a full day out of the battery.

But you're right, she'd never find this forum on her own. I guess that's why she keeps me around.

Upvote 0
this sounds akin to bemoaning that you need to get a virus scanner, defrag the harddrive, be careful of what you download and occasionally dump the temp folder in order to improve speed on your computer.

none of this is hard, you can go back to being spoonfed a closed, limited OS by going to apple

mac-vs-pc-motorcycles.jpg

Upvote 0
No I'm being legit here, not trying to start a, this OS is better than that or EVO's battery sucks.

Think of the average person wanting out from ATT, but they are scared to death of Android. It's like we need a simple Scene (iPhone simple) that will maximize the new to Android user experience. Just my two cents.

Right now I'm trying out a new Scene using 1 widget and leaving everything else stock to see if that has any impact on the way I use the phone.

Upvote 0
I guess we should all just drive manual transmission cars because it gives us more control and a little more power. Why pay a little more for some convenience and an automatic transmission? Its not necessarily being spoon fed, its just giving us good functionality. Our batteries should last all day out of the box. No tweaks necessary

BTW i get great battery life on my Evo. I go for 16 hours and still have at least 25-35% left. But i did have to do some things to get it there. Im just speaking for all the normal cell phone users who want a nice phone with cool features and good battery life, without having to visit forums and turn off all their features. Is that to much to ask??

Upvote 0
I have read this complaint several times now: our battery should last all day without having to turn off 4G, wifi, etc., etc. Why? When the iPhone 3G was released and my firm bought 23 of them, the first thing we did was send an email to the users letting them now if they dimmed the screen some, turned off location services, turned off 3G when not browsing the web, turned off wifi, the battery life would be better.

So what is so offensive about having to shut down some services when not in use to increase battery life? Kinda like driving your car slower may increase your gas mileage (but doesn't mean you can't drive fast when you want to) or turning off the lights in your house when you don't need em cuts your electricity bill. Seems comonsensical to me.

Upvote 0
I never turned any of my features off on the Iphone and got a full days use out of it. I had both the original and 3G. I had the 3GS for a month just to try it out last year and it gave me the same functionality. With both Android and WebOs i have had to do things in order to get decent battery life.

I dont mind doing the things needed to get that functionality but like i keep saying, the AVERAGE user wont want to. Its more work than its worth for many. Ive left my android phone and old 3G sitting over night with Wifi on, on both devices and android drained significantly more. I turned off all features i could think of that werent present on the iphone(ie widgets and what not) just to test. Im no fan of Apple or android for that matter, i just get whatever the newest toy is that i like. there is a difference in how the 2 phones manage battery life.

Upvote 0
There are ZERO 'permanent' battery issues with the EVO 4G. See Sig for details.

...its simply a network error where the EVO is looking for GSM signal...that's it!

Yea i remember this fix for the Hero. Some claimed it worked and most said it didnt. I have noticed absolutely no change in battery life with thi tweak on the Evo or Hero. There are no permanent fixes that work for everyone

Upvote 0
Okay, I don't get it. I'm trying to have a serious discussion on this, but everyone's a comedian.

~Goodgrief
Mod Please close this thread.

You want to have a serious discussion about how Android is too hard on an Android forum???

And now you are hurt because no one takes you seriously. LOL. Good, now please, go away if you don't like us or like what WE choose to talk about.

Upvote 0
Okay, I don't get it. I'm trying to have a serious discussion on this, but everyone's a comedian.

~Goodgrief

OK. Here's a sobering thought. Run one thing at a time, allow no multitasking and the battery will last nearly forever.

Not that I'm advocating that.

But I was serious.

Well - pretty serious...

Upvote 0

~Goodgrief

No, I get your point. But as another one commented, its falling on deaf ears here.

I think all smartphones larger than a regular flip are notorious for battery life. So not everything is going to be able to be run at once until we can improve on battery technology. That's just the nature of the beast.

And yea, if it wasnt' for me, my wife would have probably returned her evo before I did some tweaks with it for battery. But android being hard to use? I don't think so.

I think point is don't worry about non-techie users getting scared away from Android. I'm pretty sure its here to stay!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones