• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

REAL ID

AugieTN

Retired IBEW
Soon everyone will need a Real ID to fly. Some of the requirements with options are just stupid. Cancelled checks, SSA info, Current DL, Bank statement, Credit card statement...etc.. what if they get hacked? all of your important information is now on the black web

Check with your state for requirements

REAL ID | Homeland Security

Last edited:
Take your current ID, Social Security Card, birth certificate, and a mortgage statement. It's really not that difficult. They don't actually take your banking information, it's more for just address verification.

So I called to make an appointment for a Real ID, an appointment is required. I waited on hold for 25 minutes. When I finally got an agent I was told todays appointments were full, call again tomorrow. I guess they are just taking appointments day by day.

I'll try again tomorrow and if it is full I'm going to go directly to the Secy of State

I've been real ID compliant for some time. I don't remember it being any sort of hassle. It was a bit more hassle for my wife who found that her birth certificate was just a document issued from the hospital that had sufficed all of her life as ID. She had to get her real birth certificate that she should have already had.

I'm not aware of how applying for a real ID works in other states. In Kansas it was a matter of complying while renewing my driver's license. Was just a matter of showing up with my paperwork and pulling a wait number for my turn.

Appointments are required. You can't walk in and grab a number and wait your turn

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 09-17-44 Schaumburg Secretary of State Facility.png

Last edited:
I'm surprised that a passport isn't enough to get a Real ID
This is exactly my issue with it. As well as a passport, I’m also in the TSA pre-check program and have a GOES entry card and as rigorous as those combined requirements are (including an in-person visit and interview!), there’s no way I’m going to deal with California’s awful DMV system to get a “real” ID. I’m fine flying with my passport anyway; the people I feel sorry for are those who never got a passport and are now stuck with either that or the real ID snafus.

yeah i don't plan on flying anytime soon. i just need to get my birth certificate which i do not have. it got lost somewhere during my many moves over the years. so i need to get a replacement and i'm too lazy to do it now....lol

I don't know what state requires banking information to get a Real ID, but I think I'd have to move! We needed our driver's license, birth certificate and SS card. Done. Flying is an option, but if you have to go to an office in a federal courthouse, you'll be out of luck without that little gold star...

I don't know what state requires banking information to get a Real ID, but I think I'd have to move! We needed our driver's license, birth certificate and SS card. Done. Flying is an option, but if you have to go to an office in a federal courthouse, you'll be out of luck without that little gold star...
Plus another proof of address. Like a mortgage statement, insurance declarations page, etc. I even brought my vehicle registration in just in case. Cell phone bill works too.

Back
Top Bottom