• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 02 - Connected but no data.

albert_htc

Looks like my Desire is connecting to O2 I get a 'H' in the status bar, but I get NO data throughput at all.

Internet, Email and Maps all fail to work.

Any Ideas ?

On my old Nokia the DNS was assigned as 193.113.200.200 &

Is there anyway to check /change this on the Desire ?

Thanks

:confused:

H wont work if you are set to gsm only. (in theory).Try wcdma only. This wont help why you weren't getting data to begin with. I suspect your apn settings are incorrect or, one of the settings that is on your phone is not correct. Sadly there are a few settings that kill your internet connection as opposed to just one.
What do you get with wcdma only?

Also and I suspect its unconnected, but you know that o2 are blocking alot off payg internet? Thats the rumor I heard? Twitter is just one example that you cant do! Not on payg!

Changed to wcdma connects and i get the H up/down arrows.. but nothing else.
The same sim in a Nokia works at 3 / 3.5G with out issue.

Would resetting the phone help :( ??

Thanks

Ok, looks like your getting there in incremental steps? Ie did you have the up and down arrows before, even if they weren't together? Ive had this before kinda like stepping stones before full connection. If I were you, id have a read about connection problems on this site or over at xda.
I suspect simply removing the battery a few times might clear it.
Many people have connection issues with the desire. I use to, but thankfully a kinda makeshift fix helped me and I only lost connection once in about 3 weeks now. (i use to get it 3 times a day!) It came in different manners, and I could never work out why. To this day I think its too many ways of activating the internet and one of them not matching up crashing things or causing a bug.
If your issue is the same, people got round it by switching to aeroplane mode and back again. This usually works, if not turn off, battery out and back in, them give it another go. That usually works if the first method dont. I say the word usually! The problem is, it might keep doing this to you through the day. Can you take the phone back, some phones dont seem effected, but many are?
Mine was fixed petty much after doing the old 4636 method that someone pointed out, but not sure if your issue is the same.

Just tried to check my APN settings and got:
The application Settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

If I click force close, nothing seems to happen and a reboot hasn't helped :eek:

erm HELP !

Errrm, ive had my apn settings greyed out before so I couldn't access them. I feel your pain but not sure what to suggest. Are you powering off , waiting, and then taking thee battery out? Ive had to do this about 3 times before. When you hold down the power button, what does your connection say? Have you got the internet widget, is it stuck on or off? Or can you see what your connection says from the apn settings (ie, trying to connect, waiting to connect, not connected, connected?) When I had the above issues, rebooting/removing battery got me incrementally back on line.

Yeah I reckon your having the same issue that I had once. Im assuming though that your sim is activated. Thankfully i only had this issue once. Reboots didn't help, but on checking things they slowly, incrementally came back. I reckon your gonna need to do the old 4636 trick/auto prl (procedure escapes just now but ill get back to you, but dont think this wool help get you connection, it just prevents you from loosing it when you dont want to) had worked for many people)
Keep rebooting whilst I find that link. By the way, what you like on wifi?

Hi
I've tried, changing the settings, save, disconnect, re connect
Change the settings, save, power off, power on.

Also removed the battery when trying the Orange sim, and I've just tried another O2 sim with the same results.. connects fine, but NO data.

:( still getting nowhere.

Have you ever had a connection, your apn settings are correct? Does the orange sim card give you the correct settings automatically after about 5 mins, power on,off you should have orange settings? Tried sending yourself an mms?, this is another way ive got slightly wrong apn settings forced through before?

I manually set the Orange APN. Which worked first time without a reboot !

The O2 setting are automatic, they connect fine a GPRS and work.

They connect fine at 3G, but no throughput !

How do I send my self a MMS ? Thanks :)

I manually set the Orange APN. Which worked first time without a reboot !

The O2 setting are automatic, they connect fine a GPRS and work.

They connect fine at 3G, but no throughput !

How do I send my self a MMS ? Thanks :)

Are you saying the orange internet works fine with no issues? Dont rely on the o2 settings. My o2 settings always need adjusting! My orange sim always gets it right first time. My o2 dont.

And by the way, I might be wrong here, but I heard a podcast this week that said o2 were restricting payg internet capabilites! And im pretty sure they said email in some form was effected.

An mms is a photo sms! But send it to yourself. The chance are you wont get it but, by sending it to yourself it somehow sometimes forces the settings through.

Tried sending myself a picture.. never sent !
The orange one was fine.

I won't be happy with O2 if they are restricting the internet, when they are selling Text & Web ( 300 texts and unlimited Internet) on PAYG !

O2 have emailed me the setting to try, which look similar to others i've tried, but they also mentioned my sim was configured as an Iphone sim, so they've updated it and will call me back tomorrow !!

Strange how it works in an N95 8GB !!

Heres my o2 settings but they are on contract so yours will be different as the header will say something like payg. But i guess you could try and se if it works, but keep the header if it says pay and go or payg or anything like that. Also im not sure if the password is password, or o2web and then o2wap etc. but theres settings might do the trick.

Note, on the second apn setting it says wifi homepage or something like that.this is because i cannot post that url. At that entry put http://wap dot o2 dot co dot uk( replace dot with .)
now lets see if that comes out!

name. O2 MOBILE WEB

APN mobile.o2.co.uk

proxy not set

port not set

username o2web

password password

server not set

mms port not set

mms protocol WAP 2.0

MCC 234

MNC 10

auth type not set

APN type default

MMS

I had to enter a second apn

name o2 MMS

APN wap.o2.co.uk

proxy Wifi Homepage New
port 9201

username o2wap

password password

server http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002

mmsc http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002

mms proxy 193.113.200.195

mms port 8080

mms protocol WAP 2.0

MCC 234

MNC 10

authentication type not set

apn type mms

Ok last post. Hourly you picked up my amendment. On that second proxy setting. Also im oretty sure the first password is o2web. And the 2nd password is o2wap.

Regarding o2. Its o2's payg vpn. Web only, no email, twitter,facebook. Iphone is not effected apparently!

Regarding o2. Its o2's payg vpn. Web only, no email, twitter,facebook. Iphone is not effected apparently!

sorry not to sure what you mean !
Think I'll see what happens tomorrow, then a trip to my local O2 shop.
If that doesn't sort it.. it can go back :(

since O2 made a change to my account.. I can't connect to GPRS never mind 3G !

Looks like I'll have to call them again tomorrow

I've default the phone and not reloaded my backup.

Now I can connect to GRPS fine and get data (although it's slow)

3G / 'H' connect but nothing happens.. no data.

dialling *#*#INFO#*#* Shows the phone has conencted, but it fails a ping test.

(on a strange not this also shows a mobile number that isn't mine !)

Any other ideas ?

Hi Albert.i am on Orange and my Desire is doing the same had id three weeks now,it works on wifi at home fine but is just not connecting to the internet when I am away from home,When i first had it it was fine (i have gone through my settings with Orange and they are stuffed,they have told me to re boot to factory settings not done that yet)
Help

reset mine this morning.
Now I've got gprs, not 3G !

My orange sim works fine full 3G, but my O2 is really starting to annoy me.

After speaking with O2 this morning, they've advised I go into my local O2 store and ask them to test it with another PAYG 3G, and get mine sim swapped if needed.

I'll post back how I get on !

Back
Top Bottom