• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2.1 live wallpapers?

I just found this in the thread Dreze originally linked to:
Can we not use the new updater to flash recovery??
According to some of the other topics, apparently not.

So I guess without loading that recovery piece, you can't add the other stuff?

No root needed for livewallpapers, you will need Joeys/newer recovery to install. Root of the SD card means to place it in the SD card directly, not in any folders in the actual SD card. Go from here and post back using the link I provided earlier.

Thanks will try when I get home, If this does not work right can I go back to the normal 2.1 upgrade from sprint by re-doing it from the sprint site?

I found someone saying that their modem drivers didn't install right, so I uninstalled my usb and modem drivers and things are working better now. I get the impression that so long as you hold onto that original .md5 file, you can always reflash it?

Thanks Dreze I actually did it!! I would like to remove some of the sprint apps but not all, and I don't know how to write a script. can you direct me to a place I can see where to uninstall just some?
Thanks again!
Carri d

Keep the 2.1 upgrader. That's what you use to push these other tar files Dreze links to. You actually go into that binary folder and delete the .md5 file that's there and put in the 3.0.8 recovery file, then do the same process you used to flash 2.1 and it will load the recovery tool. Then, when you do the vol-down/talk/end thing, you'll load into the 3.0.8 recovery tool where you can load the root thing, then do it again and load the zip that includes Live Wallpapers.

I actually tried it without the recovery tar and i keep getting the message:

E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Any Ideas???

Yeah, I apparently am dumb because I can't get it past the above... I've tried installing the new recovery and get the same thing. I'm about to call it quits on this. It isn't worth throwing my phone through the wall...

Keep the 2.1 upgrader. That's what you use to push these other tar files Dreze links to. You actually go into that binary folder and delete the .md5 file that's there and put in the 3.0.8 recovery file, then do the same process you used to flash 2.1 and it will load the recovery tool. Then, when you do the vol-down/talk/end thing, you'll load into the 3.0.8 recovery tool where you can load the root thing, then do it again and load the zip that includes Live Wallpapers.

Ok, I did that, and I keep getting an error message it cannot open bin file.

I removed the .md5, copied the 3.0.8 recovery file in that same directory on my PC and no dice. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid.

Yeah, I apparently am dumb because I can't get it past the above... I've tried installing the new recovery and get the same thing. I'm about to call it quits on this. It isn't worth throwing my phone through the wall...

I continued to get that error message when trying to flash via the stock recovery mode...once i installed the 3.0.8 recovery .tar file below with software update utility, everything went smoothyly and i was able to apply the live wallpaper zip file.

INSTALL RECOVERY 3.0.8

4: Remove the SPH-M900_MR2_DE03_REL_1.tar file from the "Binary" folder in Step one.

5: Download http://dl.dropbox.com/u/111413/MomentDE03/recovery3_0_8.tar and place it into the "C:\Program Files\Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary" folder for your CL14 Upgrader from Sprint.

6: Flash the Recovery tar using the CL14 Upgrader "SWUpgrade" - VolDown+Camera+End

7: Reboot, let the phone do it's thing normally till it looks like it is all loaded up.

Ok, I did that, and I keep getting an error message it cannot open bin file.

I removed the .md5, copied the 3.0.8 recovery file in that same directory on my PC and no dice. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid.

I encoutered this too...what you have to do is apply the update with the old Sprint Update Utility. The new one will not allow you flash anything thats not sprint approved.

If you're getting the can't open bin file message, your usb drivers didn't get installed right. Go to control panel and add/remove programs. Remove the samsung USB drivers, samsung modem drivers, and samsung updater. Do all the steps again. Be very patient the first time you plug in the usb cable to give it time to completely load everything. When I did this a second time, everything started working.

Ok, I can flash the 3.0.8 recovery file, but then when I power it off and hit downvol camera end it goes back to that default downloading screen. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I started over; flashed with Sprint's 2.1 upgrader. Then I uninstalled that and unstalled the cl14 one. Took the default file out of the binary folder and put the 3.08 file in there. Flashed as per before. Any ideas?

Ok, I can flash the 3.0.8 recovery file, but then when I power it off and hit downvol camera end it goes back to that default downloading screen. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I started over; flashed with Sprint's 2.1 upgrader. Then I uninstalled that and unstalled the cl14 one. Took the default file out of the binary folder and put the 3.08 file in there. Flashed as per before. Any ideas?

go back to 2.1,
download the old updater
& follow the instructions to get the 3.0.8 recovery file
believe me It's there, i thought the same thing then I re-read it again
- Boot into recovery mode (press volume down + call + power).
- Apply the zip from the SD card using that recovery mode menu option.

look at what I underlined!!!!!! that's what i forgot to do. when I did that there it was.

go back to 2.1,
download the old updater
& follow the instructions to get the 3.0.8 recovery file
believe me It's there, i thought the same thing then I re-read it again

look at what I underlined!!!!!! that's what i forgot to do. when I did that there it was.

Haha, that is it exactly. Thanks a lot!

From the link:

- Download this zip file and place it in the root of your SD card (drag it to the card).
- Power off your phone.
- Reboot. You're done!

Also, here are a couple of live wallpapers to try. Many others are on the market - most for free.

Starfield
Matrix

ok i installed the official sprint 2.1 update. then i did everything in these steps and then i downloaded starfield from the market and it still doesnt work! am i missing something? what did i do wrong? and i dont want to root my phone atm because im too big of a noob to do that now,maybe later on.

ok so if your still having problems getting live wallpapers here is the easiest way to get them. put this apk in a folder and use astro to install it.

ok so this seems to not be working going to have to use joesys recovery to get live wallpaper.

Attachments

ok i installed the official sprint 2.1 update. then i did everything in these steps and then i downloaded starfield from the market and it still doesnt work! am i missing something? what did i do wrong? and i dont want to root my phone atm because im too big of a noob to do that now,maybe later on.

From what I've seen, you HAVE to root your phone to get live wallpapers on the Moment.

no you do not have to root just download the apk i posted above and install using astro and you will have them.

ok so if your still having problems getting live wallpapers here is the easiest way to get them. put this apk in a folder and use astro to install it.

I am trying to do this with no luck.. can you please explain in a lttle more detail how to do this
'

Back