Hey there android forums!
I recently switched from my old and delapidated iphone to the new captivate, and from day one I have been interested in rooting my phone because I absolutely despise Samsung's crappy TouchWiz UI! From all the information I've gathered, this is a fairly simple process, all I should need to do is root the device then most of the legwork is handled though Rom Manager (I think). What I have failed to get any real info on is in regards to the 2.2 OTA update. If my device is rooted will I be unable to upgrade to 2.2? Also, If i were to root my phone, could i just wait for Cyanogen to release a 2.2 ROM ported to the captivate then flash that to my phone as an "update" to Froyo? Oooooorrrr alternatively could i just root my phone now, then un-root the device when the OTA update is released then check for updates through the OS and take it from there?
I desperateley want to root my phone and ditch the AT&T bloatware along with Samsung's UI but I don't exactly feel like being stuck on 2.1
. Any information is appreciated!
I recently switched from my old and delapidated iphone to the new captivate, and from day one I have been interested in rooting my phone because I absolutely despise Samsung's crappy TouchWiz UI! From all the information I've gathered, this is a fairly simple process, all I should need to do is root the device then most of the legwork is handled though Rom Manager (I think). What I have failed to get any real info on is in regards to the 2.2 OTA update. If my device is rooted will I be unable to upgrade to 2.2? Also, If i were to root my phone, could i just wait for Cyanogen to release a 2.2 ROM ported to the captivate then flash that to my phone as an "update" to Froyo? Oooooorrrr alternatively could i just root my phone now, then un-root the device when the OTA update is released then check for updates through the OS and take it from there?
I desperateley want to root my phone and ditch the AT&T bloatware along with Samsung's UI but I don't exactly feel like being stuck on 2.1
. Any information is appreciated!