• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2 quick Questions from someone new

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
First, How do you turn off Sense UI (Is it adviseable or not adviseable--I heard a guy griping on Android Central and another guy said, just turn it off --will it look like the Nexus I had?)

Second, I used Qic for a vid call. Great. Then a video message. I realized these messages are "ONLINE" or in my profile for people to watch unless I hit "private" BEFORE the video, correct. Well,the main part, how do i delete videos that were taken? Is it true or are they still working out the details, that Qik users will be charged five dollars thru paypal, not Sprint. I was not told that. I would be upset. I suppose like Telenav, we could take off phone or not use account and not be charged, unlike 4G

Thanks so much
Eric (Happy Fourth)

Hi Eric,
I could be mistaken but thought (I read) it's not possible to turn off Sense UI after installing this week's HTC patch. You can remove all the widgets and install another launcher like ADW but you'll still have vestiges of Sense UI.

To delete a Qik video, go to your Qik user page on the web (qik.com/USERNAME/videos) and click on the "x" underneath the videos you want to delete.

Unfortunately, I rarely use Qik and can't help with your question about the $5/mo charge.

Enjoy your EVO!

Upvote 0
Qik's basic service including video chat does not require the $5/m fee. That's for "premium services" through Qik.

There's also an app called Fring which will connect you to Skype, allowing you to call anyone else on Skype, be it a PC, another EVO, or otherwise. And yes, it supports video over 3G/4G.

Upvote 0
Ok.. my questions are ringing like bells

geek..thanks.

1. now what is a new launcher. Is that sort of like the bios or launcher that you use while starting XP> i.e. that can be changed.. if so or if not , what is it and why change it?

2. That easily I was able to find how to delete and do it on Qik

Vincent...thanks 2

1. NOw when u say the fee I read about is only for premium services,...
a) What are premium services
b) How will I know if and when I am charged and can I cancel or stop the charges
c) Let me ask about qik before moving on...So I can use it like I did in my tests, right? use it for video calling, take a video of me, my apartment, the dog, the stadium, etc and send in a message or email or post on facebook, etc. I have the idea right. If I take a video OUT Of Qik it will NOT be on Qik unless I Upload it right. If I take a movie IN Qik, it will be on there until I delete it or if I wanted it, could I download it first, then delete it off the site like described above?

Now onto, Fring. I had that on my Nexus, I got it to try since I knew when I had the Nexus I"d never be able to do two way vid calling. But it either linked too much or there was something I didn't like. the view was too small and blurry I think. I do know you could do skype. But you can't watch videos in it or make a video and post it or send it to someone, can you? (that is a question, souded like me telling you how it is LOL)

(Can I pose here the ? I posted elsewhere which isn't getting any bumps -- how do you delete facebook calendar appts or birthdays off the EVO calendar, it does not give the option like the Nexus or Blackberry did where it says "delete this occurrence OR delete series" And I have all the facebook people in my contacts, how do I take the facebook people out of my contacts?

Upvote 0
Supaumer, thank you again. I gave you thanks above. So I don't quite understand what you either don't like about the Launcher OR what it is OR what you like better about this other mone aforementioned I suppose you get it in Market? I will try there, but please respond if you will, in case you don't. Also, when you say you lose your Sense widgets, what will my widgets be...the original droid ones that the Nexus has? that is no big deal for me

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones