• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G/4G Streaming Audio/Video in Car...

joelkirzner

Jul 5, 2010
Has anyone in a 4G area had issues with constant dropouts streaming media while driving around town?

I use Rhapsody and Slingplayer and if I have the 4G enabled, I will get disconnects throughout my commute. I understand the whole 4G is a different technology and it seems inevitable that data connections will drop when switching between the two modes.

I contacted Rhapsody and they're actually looking into a fix for their software disconnecting immediately when going from 3G --> 4G or to Wifi.

I'm not sure about slingplayer and whether they will have any fix.

This morning I turned off 4G and I didn't have one single dropout while using slingplayer. There were a couple moments where the video paused, but the program never disconnected. 3G is more than adequate for streaming, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

The solution would seem to just turn off 4G while roaming around town because the signal is so finicky.

BTW, I'm in Atlanta, GA.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones