• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4 those that don't know epic 2.2 froyo....

viisign

Nov 7, 2010
is being released in the sprint stores. i went up to the sprint store to ask a few questions not related to the 2.2 update and when i was there i just thought i would ask them when it would be released and they told me their not sure when it will be released over the air but they do have it in stores... I was told i could leave my phone their with them to update but it will take an hr and a half. And they said there isn't any issue with updating in the store.

i didn't update mine yet cause i didn't have an hr and a half to wait but i will be doing it this weekend. just thought i would let you guys know if you didn't know already..

Intriguing. So either the OTA update was messing things up, or there are certain steps that need to be taken in order to ensure smooth operation. I suppose it's possible the techs at the store have their "Upgrade Epic to Froyo in 5 steps" cheatsheet which they're going off of.

This would make me believe a clean wipe isn't needed, though probably still suggested.

Reactions: littlemattis
Upvote 0
I bet they automatically do a factory reset as part of the process.

I would have a hard time believing this, unless of course, they told you right up front you'll lose everything on your phone. And frankly, that's not (in my opinion) much of an update.

Sure, we here on this forum have no problem spending the extra 10 minutes re-setting our phone up like it was before, but the average joe, they probably don't even know what apps they all have on there, let alone how to set it back up.

Upvote 0
I would have a hard time believing this, unless of course, they told you right up front you'll lose everything on your phone. And frankly, that's not (in my opinion) much of an update.

Sure, we here on this forum have no problem spending the extra 10 minutes re-setting our phone up like it was before, but the average joe, they probably don't even know what apps they all have on there, let alone how to set it back up.

Just a feeling I have is all.

The first time I had to do a factory reset in the store they told me to write all the apps down and then go back to the market and get them. How the hell could they not know there are back up apps out there that are free? Took me a good two hours to set it all up again!

The second time, I waited for them to say it and then told them I was going to back my apps up with appmonster first and then retrieve them with Astro once it was done. Shoulda seen the look on the chick's face! She said, "I'm going to write that down so people don't get mad at me when I tell them they'll lose everything."

That was with my Samsung Transform. So far no need to do that with my Epic.

Upvote 0
The OTW installer did a factory reset of my phone when I updated it earlier this week.

I anticipated this though, and made sure I made a list of my apps so I could reinstall everything.

Google contacts re-sync, and the SD card isn't wiped, so pictures/videos/wallpapers/ringtones didn't need backed up.

In my opinion, with any major software update, you should do a hard reset. If the updater had not done it, I would have done a hard reset myself.

-SF

Upvote 0
The OTW installer did a factory reset of my phone when I updated it earlier this week.

I anticipated this though, and made sure I made a list of my apps so I could reinstall everything.

Google contacts re-sync, and the SD card isn't wiped, so pictures/videos/wallpapers/ringtones didn't need backed up.

In my opinion, with any major software update, you should do a hard reset. If the updater had not done it, I would have done a hard reset myself.

-SF
Well, I Odined back to DI18 from DK28 (probably unnecessary since I then went HERE: [Stock Flash][Odin]EB13 Extended CW2.5+RFS or CW3+ext4 2/24/2011 inc. Root+Redir. - xda-developers to get the .TAR to update to EB13, Root CW3 Recov and redirect all in one. Odin took me all of 5 minutes to get me fully updated. Restoring my Titanium backup got me going perfectly (everything works perfectly that I can tell so far. Pandora and all my widgets had to be replaced in Launcher pro which had everything lined up just the way I liked it) a truly wunnerful thang!!! To tell the truth, I really don't notice any difference with what I've had these last 3 months with DK28.

Upvote 0

-SF

Get AppMonster free and you don't have to write down your apps...they'll all be backed up on your SD card for easy re-installation.

I'm sure there are better options out there so folks can chime in with those too...just saying this is an option.

Upvote 0
In my experience, the reason it takes a little extra time for the Sprint person at the back of the store to do an update or complete your move to a new phone is because they transfer your contacts and messages to the new phone and give you your original SD card untouched so that you *don't* lose information.

That's what they did for me, in any case, when I first swapped phones a week after the Epic's launch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones