• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A few questions on the Galaxy Nexus

Biaviian

Android Enthusiast
I am about to make my first Android phone purchase. I have been an iPhone user and got a Nexus 7 a few weeks ago and I have been hooked ever since.

Now on with the questions.

If I get a CDMA version can I flash the stock OS to get rid of the Verizon additions? If so will that also allow me to update as soon as the build is released?

Any other advantages to the GSM version (besides being able to take abroad and on other networks)?

Is it worth $300-$350 for a new/mint CDMA version without contract?

I will be buying new service with whatever version I go for (with Verizon or AT&T) so I realize that buying without a contract will allow me to do an upgrade at will.

For the most part, the Verizon Nexus doesn't really have much for bloatware. At least it didn't when I got mine back in April. However, you won't get updates straight from Google, because they have to be approved through Verizon. But if want to, you are free to flash ROMs at anytime once you unlock the bootloader (its a really simple process).

Technically, the GSM one version is supposed to have a more reliable cellular radio, since the Verizon one can be really sensitive to interference and obstacles. Unfortunately, there are so many variables to this, so I cannot say you are guaranteed issues or you won't have any. For some they happen relentlessly, so much that they have switched to the RAZR Maxx. Others, like me, have had literally no issues.

The main plus of the GSM one is, it doesn't come with a 2 year contract. It also has much better standby battery life (though they all use a lot of juice when the screen is on).

But it really doesn't matter which has what features. If you want to use Verizon's network, you are getting a Verizon GNex. If you want to Sprint, you have to get a Sprint GNex. If you want to use ATT, T-Mobile, or any of their MVNOs, you are getting a GSM one.

Is it worth $300-$350 for a new/mint CDMA version without contract?

I doubt you can find it new unsubsidized for that cheap. It is $600 on Amazon Wireless. But even if you could, what carrier would you take it to? If Verizon, their pre-paid plans are absolute crap, so you will likely end up on a contract. In which case you may as well pay a penny for the phone, they aren't cutting you a break on contract pricing.

You really need to decide what network you are going to run it on. If T-mobile or AT&T or an MVNO on those networks, buy it unlocked from Google. I think its $350. If you want Sprint or Verizon you will have to get it from them and you might as well get it subsidized. Its not worth paying $500+. Alternatively, you can get one off eBay from about $200-300 used and run it on an MVNO on Sprint or Verizon - but make sure you get the right model as the two are slightly different.

I just got one for $319 for Verizon (eBay new in box). I am going Verizon due to LTE. I won't see it from ATT any time soon because I live in the middle of nowhere. I will go on a family plan with my in laws for $60 which includes 4gigs of data and about 500 minutes for me (unlimited text too). I just hope I don't regret the decision. My reason for buying it outright is to keep my upgrade options open.

So I have flashed ROMs on my Nexus 7 but I'm wondering if it is possible to flash the stock OS as soon as it is released for the GSM version.

Thanks all for the advice.

I just got one for $319 for Verizon (eBay new in box). I am going Verizon due to LTE. I won't see it from ATT any time soon because I live in the middle of nowhere. I will go on a family plan with my in laws for $60 which includes 4gigs of data and about 500 minutes for me (unlimited text too). I just hope I don't regret the decision. My reason for buying it outright is to keep my upgrade options open.

So I have flashed ROMs on my Nexus 7 but I'm wondering if it is possible to flash the stock OS as soon as it is released for the GSM version.

Thanks all for the advice.

the GSM and LTE/CDMA(vzw/sprint) Versions of the GN ARE NOT COMPATIBLE, the roms are different and trying to interchange them will probably boot loop your phone.

But you could flash the latest AOSP, pure stock, as soon as someone compiles it for the VZW GNex. MAKE SURE WHATEVER YOU FLASH SAYS toro, not toroplus or maguro !!
The big problem with having a GNex on Verizon is if you're waiting for Verizon to release the update. I unlocked the bootloader and had a custom ROM on mine the first week I bought it. I was on jelly bean months before Verizon released it. This phone was pretty much made to be modified. Why wait for carrier updates?
Another problem with this phone, I think the radio hardware is subpar. The most updated radio software helps keep the phone from dropping LTE.

Another thing, if you plan on flashing stuff and modifying, unlock your bootloader before you start installing apps and taking a bunch of pictures. Unlocking your bootloader will wipe everything.

Jova, I made that mistake with the nexus 7. I was too excited to use my first android device and didn't do ample research first.

I'm really lad I found this forum. The amount of knowledge and helpful people is amazing. Thanks to all for your help.

Back
Top Bottom