• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A positive thread for once about battery life

I've found the battery life of my desire has greatly improved with 2.2, left the mobile data on last 24 hours and still over 50% left easy. Been using wifi when at home aswell.
 
Using the phone for 30 mins seems likely.

Disable 3G.

Wrong NEVER disabled it at all

Disable "Always on Mobile Data".

Never disabled this either

Disable synching.

Correct I did this, as others have said if I want to see the weather I look out the window.

Use a different phone (Wildfire, was it?) for "a few days".

Used the Wildfire for GPS, but more importantly I stopped PLAYING with the Desire, and just used it as a phone and not a toy :)

Your battery life will improve significantly.

Hope that clarifies that.

Andrew
 
Hi - quick question on this - that no-one else seems to have asked so I must be a little slow - but are you saying you do this everytime you charge? i.e take it off charge, check it after a few minutes, and if it's dropped, charge it briefly again... everytime you charge? Or once you've done this ONCE, it will then fill the battery up full after each charge without replugging in?

Apols if this is a stoopid qn. Thanks muchly.

Not stoopid at all bud :) I usually only have to do it once, however, sometimes IF I dont charge it to 100%, (i.e. have to stick it on charge for a quick boost) it seems to revert back to the only charging to 80-90% again.

It is a strange one, but it is a good idea to just check it after a few charges and make sure it is behaving itself ;)
 
Hope that clarifies that.

Andrew

My bad. My post was a combined "how to" and I see how it looks now.

I personally disable 3G, wifi, synching, background data and Always On Mobile Data. The latter in particular seems to have increased my standby time significantly.

My post referring to "use a different phone" was supposed to be funny.

After all, posting about how great your battery life is with a phone you don't use much is pretty funny. :D
 
My bad. My post was a combined "how to" and I see how it looks now.

I personally disable 3G, wifi, synching, background data and Always On Mobile Data. The latter in particular seems to have increased my standby time significantly.

My post referring to "use a different phone" was supposed to be funny.

After all, posting about how great your battery life is with a phone you don't use much is pretty funny. :D

It's a sign of madness, I love the Desire so much that I use the Wildfire incase I damage the Desire :eek:. I think I am just about over the "cannot take my hands of it" phase, my battery use does bother me, It is the only phone I have had where I get concerned about it lasting long enough when I am out, just in case I need to make that all important call:(
 
where do I find info about the battery on the Desire? Do i need an app? Which one?

Press menu and from the selection on screen choose settings, then scroll down to bottom and select about phone, form there select battery and then battery use :)

@amg_1969 I dont worry about using it as a phone at all.

I have always found that when using the phone to make calls it doesnt use much battery. I know this WILL be different for some peeps due to signal strength, radio etc. The recent "Official" Froyo update has given me a better/more stable signal.

While I know this isnt very scientific and is only anecdotal, the other day my batt was at 92%, I was on the phone for 45 mins and when I checked afterwards it was 86%. I am more than happy with that. :D
 
The problem with what you're doing is that it's no longer a "smartphone" since you're doing half the work - it's a semi-smart phone now.
:D
I'm not that extreme with my settings. I don't turn anything on/off and let the weather widget do it's thing every hour. I also have 3G, always on data, background sync, all enabled, as well as News and Stocks updating every few hours. The only thing I manually sync is my Gmail because I don't want it beeping at 3am when I'm asleep. I don't use WiFi much, no BT either. I'm doing alright I guess.
:)


Sometimes you gotta burn a few villages to win the war, and if manually syncing gets me better battery then I don't care if people think that I'm using a glorified featurephone.


Besides, the word "smartphone" is just a subjective word that causes more fights in online threads than good.

If the phone truly fits your needs (and "wants" as an added bonus), then who really gives a ****?... :D
 
I'm currently approaching 30 hours since unplugged and my battery is still sitting in the green.

I have sat with it connected to wifi and just using it generally, some text messages, some browsing, some google maps/navigation, some app updates etc

I do the usual things, mobile netwerk off unless I need it, brightness on medium setting, nothing too drastic.

I don't usually get this much out of it so I don't know what the difference today, but it shows this battery is definitely capable of decent life.
 
Back
Top Bottom