• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AAHK on DHD: Only bootloader accessible after

Ann Ominous

Lurker
Jan 22, 2013
Attempted to root a DHD with aahk-11092012. It first downgraded the phone (which appeared to work) and then reported success on second pass.

But only the bootloader is accessible. Attempting to boot results in HTC screen which 'fades' to a 'powered-on' black. Using mini-adb, fastboot devices shows serial correctly but getvar all reports an error.

C:\mini-adb>fastboot devices
**********34 fastboot

C:\mini-adb>fastboot getvar all
getvar:all FAILED (status malformed (1 bytes))
finished. total time: 0.001s

I found one message referencing similar symptoms, but there was no follow-up to suggest how to proceed. My phone won't boot past the bootloader, with or without the SD card installed, and it's still S-ON. I do not believe that it came with Froyo, but I can not be certain. It did an OTA update immediately after I got it, but I think it was an incremental GB update.

ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-0.85.0024
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.03.02.26_M
eMMC-boot
Aprl 12 2011,00:55:45

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Note: I've rooted a couple of Desires, so adb, CWM, CM and MIUI, etc are not new territory, but this is my first DHD root attempt with the AAHK.

Attempted to root a DHD with aahk-11092012. It first downgraded the phone (which appeared to work) and then reported success on second pass.

But only the bootloader is accessible. Attempting to boot results in HTC screen which 'fades' to a 'powered-on' black. Using mini-adb, fastboot devices shows serial correctly but getvar all reports an error.

C:\mini-adb>fastboot devices
**********34 fastboot

C:\mini-adb>fastboot getvar all
getvar:all FAILED (status malformed (1 bytes))
finished. total time: 0.001s

I found one message referencing similar symptoms, but there was no follow-up to suggest how to proceed. My phone won't boot past the bootloader, with or without the SD card installed, and it's still S-ON. I do not believe that it came with Froyo, but I can not be certain. It did an OTA update immediately after I got it, but I think it was an incremental GB update.

ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-0.85.0024
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.03.02.26_M
eMMC-boot
Aprl 12 2011,00:55:45

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Note: I've rooted a couple of Desires, so adb, CWM, CM and MIUI, etc are not new territory, but this is my first DHD root attempt with the AAHK.

are you sure the phone was in fastboot,and not hboot when doing fastboot getvar all ?
couple other things off the top of my head:
-try different usb cables/ports
-no usb 3.0
-terminate all potential phone comunicating programs: htc sync,pdanet,easy tether,even itunes.

alot of times folks who have prollems despite the fact that everything looks ok have success by simply using a different(preferably "virgin" to phone software) PC

you can try the command fastboot erase cache and reboot,if it reports no errors.

failing that,prolly best bet is to attempt an ruu. if we cant get either fastboot getvar all or fastboot getvar mainver to work,then we may need to guess at an ruu... do you have any idea what your original build number was? if not,what carrier/region are you in?

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones