• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ?? about backups for the Gurus

SteveHebe

Lurker
First let me say thanks for any & all who respond and put forth the effort to help others understand these sometimes overwhelming devices


My question is about backups
 
IMO you do not need Mybackup pro. I deleted it the other day because I was wondering why I still even had it. All you need is TiBu and clockwork(obviously) and regular nandroid backups. What you are better off doing is deleting anything and everything for Mybackup pro, Lookout is optional cuz I have Lookout but it seems a little unnecessary cuz I don't download anything that I don't know about. What else... do a nandroid REGULARLY which means do it just cause and your nandroid backups are stored in /clockwork/backup which you can easily see in rom manager.

But to answer your questions directly here it is:
1. yes
2. every few days if you are doing regular/daily backups.
3. answered in the paragraph above.
4. Basically... some are yeah (head nodding)
5. You only need to backup with TB and Nandroid.
 
I guess there could be a debate about the pros/cons of Titanium vs. MyBackupPro forever. I personally use MBP, though I do have TiBu but have been using it less and less, since I've paid for MBP. I'll use MBP to backup apps (.apk's with data), then I'll use it to backup data; call logs, bookmarks, sms, and mms.

However, I did find what looks to be the end-all method of using TiBu:

http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/241380-ti-backup-question.html#post2038550

just to show I'm not closed minded.

Anyways, I'm pretty much like androidlover14, but here's my own twist:

1. To a certain extent, yes, but that's why you can 'mount usb storage' to your pc, right? Copy/paste, then delete from sdcard; unmount usb storage.

2. Every time you feel comfortable that you don't need an immediate restore from you last change.


Before I answer your #3 I would like to make a clarification. Your list included ClockworkMod, Lookout, and Nandroid. I am not familiar with Lookout, but any custom recovery image will include a Nandroid option. It is actually Nandroid that makes the backup, but which ever custom recovery that you use will determine the actuall location of your nandroid backups. In your case you're using CWRecovery:

3. [/sdcard]/clockwork/backup

4. Yes. But in some very different ways. The nandroid backup is akin to a setting a system restore point on your Windows computer. The TiBu and/or MBP is akin to a backup/restore settings and apps on a Windows computer.

5. Here, again the debate could continue. For this read up.

good luck
 
  • Like
Reactions: (G)
Back
Top Bottom