• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories - what have you found?

The screen is gorilla glass. You don't need to buy a protector, and you don't need to pay someone $15 to put it on.

I thought this was this case, but after about three weeks of ownership I already have a minor scratch right in the center of the screen (~0.6cm & very annoying). I had an iphone 3gs for two and a half years with no protective covering, the back and the bezel became scuffed up during that period but the screen remained flawless. I was under the impression that this screen was similar, now Im trying to see if I can fix the scratch on this relatively new phone.

Upvote 0

You can get a pack of 10 static screen protectors for like $4 currently off Ebay.

I get little scratches all the time. I also put my phone in my pocket with my car keys for about 5 minutes and when I took it out the screen protector was just wrecked with scratches and gouges.... I have no doubt it would have damaged the screen.

Upvote 0
It only takes a single grain of sand.

I now know this. I have been sure not the put the phone in the same pocket as keys or any other hard pointy material. I checked the pocket that the phone was in that day and I found it had some flecks of grit. I had a screen protector on the device, but I took it off as it created some grab. Besides the phone features gorilla glass and my aforementioned experience with the 3GS made me over confident in the material. I can get a new screen digitizer for $29 shipped but the process of replacing it is a bit involved.

HTC EVO 3D Glass (Digitizer) screen, iRepairFast

I think I'll learn to live with the scratch, its just unfortunate to see my shiny new toy tarnished so soon. The screen protectors I purchased were $2 off of amazon, can anyone recommend a protector that does not create grab?

Upvote 0
Yeah but the sand you don't know about, you usually wouldn't put the phone in with your keys. Plus most keys are made of brass, have a tough time scratching the case, let alone the screen.
Keys usually bang into it rather than just scratch the screen so it looks like it was sand blasted. Being brass won't help in that situation.

It can happen just by tossing keys onto a table or dresser with your phone, or even setting your phone down onto something without noticing it being there (such as sand...) but also some people carry wallets in their front pocket (to avoid being picked), leaving the only other place for their phone in with their keys.

More importantly though, it doesn't matter what it is, a screen really is better off with a cheap screen protector. It's cheap insurance that really has little effect on the operation of the phone, unlike a case which can double the thickness.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if I can hook this phone up to a non HD TV? Does a miniUSB to Composite cables work? Would like to watch YouTube vids on my TV.

For one it's not a mini usb output, you need an mhl adapter for video, I really don't know of any way for it to work. Like a modern video card there's nothing analog available to output.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You're talking about something else entirely, while the items you describe might allow VGA input to a monitor, the OP was asking about composite to a television.

Exactly my point. When I said I was looking to output to a VGA, your response was to tell me it is analog. While I appreciate the response, my question was not the same as Kahoo's, I am not looking to hook up my phone to an SDTV. Further with Kahoo you said the fact that it is analog was the main issue;

Like a modern video card there's nothing analog available to output.

Where as I said the resolution limitations of a SDTV would be the main issue;

True, but I think resolution would be the main limitation for Kahroo's intent.

So I know what the OP was intending and why it would be troublesome. Anyways, I might give this a go instead of the Sanoxy box;

Amazon.com: Cables Unlimited ADP-3780 DVI-D Male to HDMI Female Adapter: Electronics

Do you know when using the microUSB to HDMI if the audio output for the 3.5mm jack is disabled?

Upvote 0
You need an MHL adapter to HDMi adapter and just like USB OTG, it needs to be powered.
Like this:
MHL Micro USB to HDMI HDTV Adapter for Samsung Galaxy S3 SIII S3 LTE i9300 I535 | eBay

You can then get an HDMI to VGA adapter,

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones