• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alerts about ghosts?

MTNSteveR

Lurker
All throughout the day, I receive notification tones, but when I bring up my notification panel, there are no new notices. Where are these tones coming from? Are there ghosts in my phone??

A lot of notifications especially on 'modern' Samsung phones make sound when they shouldn't. It will drive you batty. For example, many notifications come and go such as Configuration update, downloads from background apps like Google Play, and even Bixby. Those notifications make sound (when in reality they are never important enough to make sound but Samsung decided every notification by default is an alerting notification) and they vanish as quickly as they happen since they're for background stuff and don't remain persistant.

The only solution i could come up with is going into each app one by one and setting the least important ones to 'block notifications' or 'silent/minimize'

A lot of notifications especially on 'modern' Samsung phones make sound when they shouldn't. It will drive you batty. For example, many notifications come and go such as Configuration update, downloads from background apps like Google Play, and even Bixby. Those notifications make sound (when in reality they are never important enough to make sound but Samsung decided every notification by default is an alerting notification) and they vanish as quickly as they happen since they're for background stuff and don't remain persistant.

The only solution i could come up with is going into each app one by one and setting the least important ones to 'block notifications' or 'silent/minimize'

Wow, Android has really changed in the last 4-5 years. So this stuff doesn't ever get fixed???

Too bad not all manufacturers are on the same page. My moto g stylus 2021 gives you notifications that don't go away if you open the apps pertaining to them. You have to manually swipe them away from the notification shade.
Plus many other bugs that are just annoying to say the least.
My old ZTE from 2016 was much more intuitive with those things

I still miss the 'ticker' style notifications from my Thunderbolt. Also it only made noise for a specific few types such as text messages, phone calls and email. I'm sure it could have done more, but I never used my phones for more than that (and playing music which doesn't need notifications.)

Back
Top Bottom