• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Americans-July 4th Plans?

Steven58

Former Heavyweight Champion of AF-Early Bird Club
Feb 19, 2010
USA
I'll start. I've squooshed 6 days into 5 days of work a couple of weeks ago, so my Monday through Friday work schedule is busier, now. For this week, I've squished 5 days of work into 4 in order to take off Thursday the 4th. I'm looking forward to that, but I have to say working extremely long days is brutal, but worth it once in a while.

Having said all that, for the 4th we will be going to a pool party at wife's aunt. Looking forward to it! Anyone else care to join in?

The pool party sound fun. I need a time and address. :)
I'm spending time at the cabin. I have a friend with a camper that will be there tomorrow. I have hookups for guests. I'll run down there tomorrow and give a hello. I hope to get down there some the 4th as well. The rest of the guests are showing up Saturday. We plan to smoke something Saturday and generally hang out and enjoy one another's company.

I hope everyone has a safe 4th. If you are traveling, be extra careful.

Upvote 0
Going camping with friends and family. A lot of food, a few beverages, some cornhole, maybe some cards as well.

There is a baseball tournament for my son as well, so we'll catch some of the games, but not all. I know that sounds bad, but since last Saturday through today he's had 8 games in three states, and I have made it to 6 of them. :eek:

Upvote 0
Going camping with friends and family. A lot of food, a few beverages, some cornhole, maybe some cards as well.

There is a baseball tournament for my son as well, so we'll catch some of the games, but not all. I know that sounds bad, but since last Saturday through today he's had 8 games in three states, and I have made it to 6 of them. :eek:
Trust me.. please trust me. Make every effort and sacrifice necessary to be witness to every game and every event your son is involved in. In the blink of an eye it is over and you will miss it the rest of your life.

Upvote 0
Trust me.. please trust me. Make every effort and sacrifice necessary to be witness to every game and every event your son is involved in. In the blink of an eye it is over and you will miss it the rest of your life.
Yeah, I know. But there are only so many days I can take off of / leave early from work. Of the 50 or so games he's had this spring and summer I've missed three. I pick my spots on games where he is unlikely to play due to pitching in previous games, matchups, and whatnot. I'm batting 1.000 on not missing games he's played in. ;)

BTW, he had three college coaches contact him directly this weekend after seeing him pitch, all three closely aligned with his college major.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know. But there are only so many days I can take off of / leave early from work. Of the 50 or so games he's had this spring and summer I've missed three. I pick my spots on games where he is unlikely to play due to pitching in previous games, matchups, and whatnot. I'm batting 1.000 on not missing games he's played in. ;)

BTW, he had three college coaches contact him directly this weekend after seeing him pitch, all three closely aligned with his college major.
I missed a lot of my son's sports but I had no choice. I was there when I could be... that's all you can do.
That's outstanding that he is drawing attention. My son went through college on a football scholarship that turned into a baseball scholarship after a knee surgery. It's nice when talent opens doors.

Upvote 0
July 4th? You mean Independence Day?

After I grill a nice steak dinner for the Darling Bride, Former Tax-Deduction Son and me, we'll probably sit outside, sip wine and watch our neighbors blow up thousands of dollars... and we don't have to pay a dime :D

Upvote 0
I'll start. I've squooshed 6 days into 5 days of work a couple of weeks ago, so my Monday through Friday work schedule is busier, now. For this week, I've squished 5 days of work into 4 in order to take off Thursday the 4th. I'm looking forward to that, but I have to say working extremely long days is brutal, but worth it once in a while.

Having said all that, for the 4th we will be going to a pool party at wife's aunt. Looking forward to it! Anyone else care to join in?
yep that is what i had to do. i had to spread my clients that i would normally do on thursday to either wednesday, friday, or next week. so i had to squeeze in more jobs in this week minus thurday. but i am glad i have thursday off. i just wish that i did not have to work on friday.....lol

so normally on Independence Day (;) @The_Chief ) me and my friends would celebrate by hiking up this hill at Schaburm Park. it is about a mile long hike up, but at the top, you can see both sides of the hill. if you look south, you can see the fireworks from Disneyland. if you look north you can see fireworks from the Rose Bowl as well as hundreds of smaller firework shows in between them. we would normally bring some backpacks loaded up with beer and wine or hard seltzers. the trick is getting down in the dark after many drinks.

but this year we decided to go mellow. during the day we would do a potluck and then head on out to the park. this year we are just going to hang at someone's house and i might grilling. i am thinking of doing hamburgers and make a bunch of different toppings and my friends can make their own burger. i was thinking of doing garlic herbed mushrooms, roasted green bell peppers or ortega chilli's,, and grilled pineapples. for the condiments i am thinking of a garlic aioli, miso-lime ketchup, and my version of 1,000 island dressing.

Upvote 0
Going to grill a steak. I have a few rockets left over from the last 4th, so I'll set them off and then watch my neighbor set fireworks off,

I don't mind spending $20 to $40 on fireworks, but no more than that. I have few neighbors that spend big bucks on fireworks

Upvote 0
I have few neighbors that spend big bucks on fireworks
These days, $20 to $40 might buy a few sparklers and one whiz-bang... not much more. We have people here in Middle Tennessee who will pawn their vehicle title to buy $1000 in fireworks (and beer) - and in 30 minutes, they've blown it up. Then they'll spend the next 9 months paying off the loan, only to do it again next year! I guess it's true that a fool and his money are soon parted...
:p

Upvote 0

Hopefully it all pays off. After paying for my daughter's competitive soccer since she was 8 years old she has a full ride to play soccer at a Division 1 level. It's about 250K or more in free money given where she is going. I'll I have to pay for is books and food. And yes, it's hard to go to everything, the wife and I have to usually split who goes to what. At the end of the day, time and $ well spent.

Upvote 0
Oh, 4th of July plans are to chill. We've had a busy summer. Went to Kona, Hawaii for 9 days. Then daughter and I went to Tampa and then down to Orange Beach, we were gone for about 13 days. Home now and glad to be. Missed the wife, but don't tell her I said that :giggle: The 4th is actually my birthday as well, but who's counting.

Upvote 0
I packed my Darling Bride with me for my trip. My first Navy ship had a reunion of the entire crew, from pre-commissioning to decommissioning. We had 3 days of activities in New Orleans and then boarded Carnival Valor for a 5-day "back to sea" Western Caribbean cruise. I'm glad I took her along!

So one can understand why we want to sit here at home and do a whole bunch of not much for Independence Day.

20240628_200210.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
These days, $20 to $40 might buy a few sparklers and one whiz-bang... not much more. We have people here in Middle Tennessee who will pawn their vehicle title to buy $1000 in fireworks (and beer) - and in 30 minutes, they've blown it up. Then they'll spend the next 9 months paying off the loan, only to do it again next year! I guess it's true that a fool and his money are soon parted...
:p

They don't make a lot of money in rural Tennessee. I've had construction work done and the employees of the contractor ask for their $80 when they are done. That tells me they are making $10 an hour.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones