• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android 4.04 SMS messaging delete bug

pentel

I have a Nexus S on Android 4.04. This version of Android has a SMS messaging delete bug. The bug happens when you try to delete a message other than the first message in the "thread". Android 4.04 will delete the first message instead of the message that you want to delete.

For example, suppose you have a thread with 5 messages. You want to delete the 5th message and keep the first four messages. When you select the 5th message in the "thread" to delete, Android will delete the first message instead of the 5th message. This only happens the first time you have Messaging "launched". If you try to delete the 5th message (which is the 4th message now) after the initial delete, Android will delete the 5th message correctly. But if you quit Messaging and relaunch Messaging, the bug will reoccur the first time you delete a message.

I tried googling to see if this bug has been fixed but there is very little info on this bug. I want to keep using this Nexus S phone. According to Wikipedia, the Nexus S phone is upgradable to 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.

My question is anyone aware of this Android 4.04 messaging delete bug and does Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean fixes the issue?

Hi pentel, I think getting someone with the phone to see this would be a great idea, I will move this to the Nexus S section of the forum for you.

Thank you, new optimus.

Anyone with Nexus S experienced what I described? I googled many times over the years and find nothing on this issue except this thread which has no answer as well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1591751

When I delete some sms I have noticed that the first attempt, when I tap "delete" apparently not erasing anything.
Then I noticed that at the first attempt, instead, is deleted the first sms that I can see on top of display, which is often seen in half.
It does so only when I delete for first time a text message of any discussion (open sms app - select thread - long tap on sms then delete), then work's fine.
Has anyone noticed this malfunction?

Nexus S was originally pre-installed with Android 2.3.4, when updated to Android 4.04, this SMS messaging delete bug occurs.

Has anyone has this issue? Is this resolved now?

I don't think I've ever had that issue. I'm running 4.1.1 and just attempted to do what is problematic for you. If it was a bug it does appear that it has been fixed.

I don't think I've ever had that issue. I'm running 4.1.1 and just attempted to do what is problematic for you. If it was a bug it does appear that it has been fixed.

Thanks for the info. Good to know that SMS delete bug has been fixed in Android 4.1.x.

Just to clarify, this is deleting a particular message from the list of messages within a conversation (I used the term "thread" earlier).

Yeah, I went in and deleted the most recent. The first message in the thread stayed present so it does seem to function properly. The correct message was removed.

Back
Top Bottom