• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Cellphones on the 1900 Mhz UMTS 3g band

Hello, I'm new to the forums.

I want to get a android cellphone that work on the 1900 MHz UMTZ 3g band because that's the band that my carrier use down here on Venezuela. I'm on a trip here on the U.S and I want to get a new phone. I'm probably going to be buying this phone from ebay or amazon. I might unlocked myself, or buy it already unlock.

For the moment the only cellphones that I have found that works on this band is:

Samsung Vibrant t-959
Samsung Captivate
Samsung Galaxy s GT-I9000
HTC Nexus one

I want a cellphone that at least have a 1ghz processor and can be use on android 2.2 (Froyo). If I have to root the cellphone for this I can do it

Is there any other cellphone that works on this band (1900 Mhz UMTS)?

Witch one will you recommend base on the pros and cons on the cellphone?

I'll be thanks if you can help me here. :eek:

I won't buy a Galaxy S i9000 unless it already has been upgraded to Froyo. In addition to the i9000, the i9000T should have 1900 (850, 1900, 2100). i9000 is 900, 1900, and 2100.

Captivate should be 850, 1900 and 2100. Vibrants are 900, 1700 and 2100.

The Nexus One is easier to do upgrades with. It just comes over the air. With the Galaxy S you need to connect to Samsung Kies on the PC. Having said that, the upgrades on the Nexus One seems to have the least problems.

The advantages of the Galaxy S is having more internal phone memory, better camera, more accurate touch screen, a slightly better battery life, and a bigger and more vivid screen.

The advantages of the Nexus One is a much more solid and sleeker body, a pointer trackball that can pulse with different colors (coolness factor), direct upgrades from Google, probably better GPS.

Of these factors, the upgrades are the most important though,which is why I may favor the Nexus One here..

Upvote 0
So the samsung i9000 just got sold, so I wont get that anymore.

I just recently discover that the droid 2 global support gsm sim cards and work on the 1900 mhz umts band.

Will the droid 2 work on my carrier on Venezuela with no problem?

If it does witch is better for you the droid 2 or the nexus one?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Friends I'm from Venezuela too:) and I am very interested in the Nexus One HCT but not if I lift my 3G operator, which as we know it works at 1900 MHz I amazon buy, but there are 2 terminals and not which of the 2 is at 1900 Mhz, which Google says something sells support 1700/1900 MHz, and this one that sells HTC but this makes no mention of 1900 MHz, tell me they know more about it and help me to tell me what the two terminals referred to in amazon is that 3G will lift me here in Venezuela with 1900 MHz .. I'm crazy about this phone but unfortunately do not know which versions work nexu One to 1900 MHz, eh read that if I buy the T-Mobile would be alone with me because this works 2g to 2100/900, but if I buy the aT & T version will serve me because if this version works on 1900 MHz working my company here in Venezuela, will be one of those two terminals on amazon would serve me? I would greatly appreciate your help. Greetings from Carora, VE

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones