• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android devices get outdated very soon.

It's really good that Android is progressing at very fast rate...its updates are launched now almost in every quarter...but it somehow seems also depressing to me because at this fast rate, Android devices become outdated very soon...for e.g. I bought my Desire this May on a two year contract. Right now it's on 2.2...2.3 is about to be launched and definitely Desire owners will have to wait longer for 2.3 and by the time HTC releases 2.3 for Desire, I am pretty much sure that 3.0 will already have been launched (and it's more than probable that Desire will never see 3.0 because companies never offer support for so long and for old products) and by the time my contracts ends...my Desire will look like a 'stone with capability to display texts'...and this story will go on and on... ANDROID DEVICES WILL JUST GET OUTDATED SOONER THAN EVER.

But this is not the case with other OSs. Their customers have a sense of equality. They all have same thing.

No doubt, Android offers far rich features than any other OS but this 'being outdated pretty soon' doesn't seem nice to me.

What do you think?
It's only Outdated because you MAKE it outdated. If you bought it and it's still working who cares what else is on the market?

Do you think Apple somehow magically prevents new technologies from being invented once they release a phone? Heck no! They hold back technology except for once a year. How does that benefit consumers???

With Android on the other hand, you have the OPTION to buy new phones or not. No one is holding a gun to your head and telling you to upgrade or die!!

This thread is off kilter.

Upvote 0
If you follow this stuff closely, the OP is right. The pace of progress on the Android platform is really fast right now. Every other week it seems like there's a new phone that is head and shoulders above the rest. You either have to just kind of tune it out and be happy that you're phone is doing what it's supposed to, or spend a lot of money upgrading your phone all the time.

Upvote 0
(and it's more than probable that Desire will never see 3.0 because companies never offer support for so long and for old products)

I only have two things to say here...one is that many of the android devices (high end) might not even see the 3.0 update which is honeycomb as its being touted as a major thing for tablets...but we still have no real official word yet..

secondly...companies never offer support for so long? one word...NOKIA...they just released v52 firmware for the 5800....over 2 years after it was released....yes it might not be a good phone...I should know I had it...but they are STILL supporting it even with the N8 and all other brand spanking new toys they release...

'nuff said really ;):D

Upvote 0
I got an HTC Desire and a Nexus One. Both are not outdated. They still do what the latest Android phones do. The latest ones might be incrementally faster, might have bigger screens, but not anymore useful.

There is a huge difference being "obsolete" and being "eclipsed". The Desire and the Nexus one are being eclipsed by new models. It means new models get more of the media limelight these days. They are not obsolete, because they still do everything the latest phones still have to offer.

To be frankly honest, I still have people gawking over and asking about my Nexus One even these days.

Upvote 0
It's only Outdated because you MAKE it outdated.
^ This. Despite what many consumers apparently believe, what you currently own isn't "outdated" just because there's something (or several somethings) newer out there. My Droid is hardly outdated and I won't be replacing it until there are dual core LTE devices from Verizon as anything else is just an incremental upgrade IMO.

Stop buying stuff just because there's new stuff or a company's marketing department tells you that what you have is outdated. Things are only outdated when they no longer meet your needs. If you have tech ADD then be prepared to always have "outdated" stuff.

But this is not the case with other OSs. Their customers have a sense of equality. They all have same thing.
No, they don't. You have a bad case of "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence". Buy a first gen iPhone and then come back and tell us how equal it is to the 4G. Buy an old Blackberry and tell us how it's identical to current models. Same for WinMo, PalmOS, your desktop, your laptop, etc etc. Tech doesn't stand still.

Upvote 0
I got an HTC Desire and a Nexus One. Both are not outdated. They still do what the latest Android phones do.

I've had my Nexus for about six months now and I am still impressed with what it can do, although, as with any areas of technology there have been bumps in the road. However, they do lack a few more recently added features like 3 axis gyroscopes and front-facing cameras. Of course these don't make the N1 outdated.

The latest ones might be incrementally faster, might have bigger screens, but not anymore useful.

As far as the bigger screens are concerned, I've got a 4" on my Captivate and admittedly is a beautiful screen. But, it's still 800 x 480 for being 12% larger than the Nexus. More so is the "feel" of a phone with a 4"+ screen ... They feel clunky to me. Now mind you I am not a small person (6' 1") with pretty good sized hands, but the Nexus just feels right. It's comfortable to hold and is incredibly pocketable. The Captivate not so much even though it's a newer/faster/bigger phone. I am sure others would disagree and that's great. The beauty of Android -- competitors see it as fragmentation, users see it as choice and developers see it as opportunity.

Upvote 0
I think the OP has a point. For example I own an Apple Iphone 3GS and an HTC Wildfire.

I got my Iphone in March and since then it's had 3 major firmware updates. The Iphone is completely unlocked and unbranded.

My other phone an HTC Wildfire which I bought the other week is locked to 3UK, and totally branded up. I have a feeling that I am going to be wait ages for the 2.2 Froyo update, as 3UK are useless at releasing updates.

Going back to the main point mobile phones become outdated within weeks sometimes, networks know this, unless you are able to buy a simfree phone or afford to take out yet another contract the contract outlasts the phone.

I actually got the iphone as an exchange for the HTC Hero, which I think ran ver1.5. 3Uk have only just released the 2.1 update a couple of months ago for hero, when HTC released it in May or June.

Android seems to moving at a rate of knots in releasing new firmware; some people have only just got 2.1 and we're talking about 3.0 gingerbread. IMO I think it's moving far to fast for my liking.

Why can't the networks and the manufacturers work together to release an update for ALL handsets?

Upvote 0
It's really good that Android is progressing at very fast rate...its updates are launched now almost in every quarter...but it somehow seems also depressing to me because at this fast rate, Android devices become outdated very soon...for e.g. I bought my Desire this May on a two year contract. Right now it's on 2.2...2.3 is about to be launched and definitely Desire owners will have to wait longer for 2.3 and by the time HTC releases 2.3 for Desire, I am pretty much sure that 3.0 will already have been launched (and it's more than probable that Desire will never see 3.0 because companies never offer support for so long and for old products) and by the time my contracts ends...my Desire will look like a 'stone with capability to display texts'...and this story will go on and on... ANDROID DEVICES WILL JUST GET OUTDATED SOONER THAN EVER.

No doubt, Android offers far rich features than any other OS but this 'being outdated pretty soon' doesn't seem nice to me.

What do you think?

Just my two cents but if you were that bothered about software updates why didn't you buy a Nexus directly from google? It's going to be the first phone to get updates for some time to come. It will get updates until it's not possible for it to be updated because it doesn't meet the hardware requirements.

I think the OP has a point. For example I own an Apple Iphone 3GS and an HTC Wildfire.

I got my Iphone in March and since then it's had 3 major firmware updates. The Iphone is completely unlocked and unbranded.

My other phone an HTC Wildfire which I bought the other week is locked to 3UK, and totally branded up. I have a feeling that I am going to be wait ages for the 2.2 Froyo update, as 3UK are useless at releasing updates.

Going back to the main point mobile phones become outdated within weeks sometimes, networks know this, unless you are able to buy a simfree phone or afford to take out yet another contract the contract outlasts the phone.

I actually got the iphone as an exchange for the HTC Hero, which I think ran ver1.5. 3Uk have only just released the 2.1 update a couple of months ago for hero, when HTC released it in May or June.

Android seems to moving at a rate of knots in releasing new firmware; some people have only just got 2.1 and we're talking about 3.0 gingerbread. IMO I think it's moving far to fast for my liking.

Why can't the networks and the manufacturers work together to release an update for ALL handsets?

This iPhone stuff is confusing me, I was under the impression that iPhone updates added very little to the phone? If I bought an iPhone a year ago (i believe a 3GS would be the newest at that time) and my Nexus I've had for nearly a year. Which one is most outdated today? I'm willing to bet it's the 3GS, even though it will be running ios4 (correct?) aren't some of the features dissabled and significantly slower than the iPhone4. I challenge you to find an android phone (or iPhone for that matter) which can do significantly more than my nexus software wise.

But this is all beside the point anyway. Why do you care? If you found a phone you liked and bought it because it was the best phone for you what do you think the updates are going to give you that you need? Or if you bought the phone because it was an android and you a bit tech savvy and you know what your doing then if your that bothered install cyanogen or something.

Look at it this way: If I bought a PC from Dell when windows XP was out do I have the right to demand they supply me with Windows Vista and Windows 7 when they're released regardless of the fact this will cost Dell time and money? Am I forced to buy a new PC even though I bought the PC because it did everything I wanted it to do?

Upvote 0
The Iphone is completely unlocked and unbranded.

ummm...really? REALLY? The iPhone is the most highly locked and branded device out there. It's just that it's controlled by Apple and not so much AT&T.

Because of the chain of distribution. Google supplied the base OS and the applicable updates. The handset manufacturers then tailor the OS for their devices, which take time, and each subsequent update must be applied and tested ... modified and retested before it's released to the carrier. Then the carrier puts it's mark on it, either by adapting features like tethering and GPS Nav services, or loading locked apps and then they send it back to the hardware manufacturer for more testing. It's a process.

The reason why Android seems so horrible in this regard is for several reasons. First, because Android is open, the OS updates are always discussed. Apple, Rim and MS can keep the lids on their updates for a lot longer, at least until the developer SDK's are released. Also, other companies tend to downplay updates until close to the release date, where Google and the Android community talks about them openly.

The most obvious problem is that Android updates don't come to all phones at the same time, where with Apple and the others they usually do. Plain Google phones get them first like the Nexuses (Nexii?) which makes everyone else anticipate their phones getting it too. But development takes time and Samsung, Motorola, HTC, etc all have to make sure the updates don't bork their hardware and the carriers don't wan't some of the new stuff on their networks in vanilla, unlocked form.

I don't propose a solution beyond not buying a phone for it's upgrade potential, but for it's functionality at the time of purchase.

Upvote 0

What do you think?

Just because new updates come out doesnt make it outdated? Maybe you should rethink what you posted and if you are so worried then only get a 1 year contract so you can upgrade every year. To me it seems like you are one of those people who thinks they always need to have the latest thing and will never be happy.

Upvote 0
I think it's the nature of the technology market. You have to come out with updates in a timely manner or people will perceive your technology as being out of date. It may be a small minority who wants the latest and greatest ASAP, but if these people brand your product as being out of date, many people will flock to something else that is perceived to be top of the line. With the rate that technology is advancing these days, the window you have to being top of the line is shrinking with each year.

Upvote 0
I think the bottom line is it would be nice to receive updates and have confirmation that updates are coming. It is a little bit ridiculous that under the current model we wait up to 6+ months for the "newest" version of android (after Google officially announces it) to hit our devices (if ever) just because the companies that launched (and by this I mean maker AND carrier in many cases) those devices a few short months ago are focused on bigger, better, and newer things. I suppose we can argue that we go with what needs are met, but in all honesty, my NEEDS could be met with my very first smartphone, the Blackberry Pearl (not sure this is truly even considered a smart phone). That thing did everything I NEEDED it to do... my current device simply does all of that much better. People are calling this guy a sheep yet you seem to be defending the model that these companies are following; buy based on what is out now and be PRIVILEGED if you receive an update. I guess I am simply not one of those people. That said, having the phone rooted opens up many more doors, but it is sad to see people in the community using root as an answer. What on earth is the point of openness if I am forced to do something that technically voids my warranty?

Upvote 0
Better to have an Android that *CAN* be upgraded than a phone that *NOTHING* will be changed on. There are tons of custom ROMs available, and any Joe on the street can learn how to make their own, if the ones out there don't suit them. I bought my Hero in Nov 09, *WELL* after it was released, and even after a year it was still wonderful (only upgraded because I wanted the EVO and my mom needed a replacement phone). But then again, I'm not concerned with "can my phone do absolutely *EVERYTHING* that every other phone can do? Heck, I just bought a new computer a few months ago because the 5 year old laptop that I had finally ran out of room! But guess, what? That laptop still works for what I need it to do, meaning as my internet connection while away from home, although with the EVO I may be able to forgo it on most trips ... well, unless it's a trip I take pictures on and need to upload them, haven't figured out how to move pics from my DSLR to the EVO ...

Upvote 0
Better to have an Android that *CAN* be upgraded than a phone that *NOTHING* will be changed on.
My only question is, what competing smart phone OS DOESN'T allow for upgrades? If the only competition was doing the same thing, that would be one thing, but they are not. I admit that there are plenty of reasons why I PREFER android over other options, but this discussion is simply about updates.

Upvote 0
Can a device that you own and still use that meets the requirements you need ever be outdated?

For me I buy tech to suit MY needs!

Only when they no longer fit the bill do I consider them outdated!

Am I alone in this?
i think it's a matter of definition

if your old printer still prints everything you need in usable quality, but a new printer would do the same in half the time with nicer quality, is your printer outdated?

Upvote 0
There is a huge difference being "obsolete" and being "eclipsed".
Very good wording, Guamguy.

How is it that advertising is so clever to make us think we must have something, and as soon as we get it, to become dissatisfied and think we must have something else?

My Evo is extremely useful, efficient, and FUN, but I must admit to reading the threads about when 3.0 will be available - and in the back of my brain thinking "what if I am missing out on something I don't even know exists?". I've got to stop doing that.

Every time I sell a previous model on eBay I think "this was such a great phone, I hate to part with it". I don't want to be tempted away from the Evo (and more hard-earned money) by something that "eclipses" it. For me, the constantly increasing apps at free or very affordable cost should satisfy that desire for something new and bright and shiny.

Upvote 0
How is it that advertising is so clever to make us think we must have something, and as soon as we get it, to become dissatisfied and think we must have something else?

My Evo is extremely useful, efficient, and FUN, but I must admit to reading the threads about when 3.0 will be available - and in the back of my brain thinking "what if I am missing out on something I don't even know exists?". I've got to stop doing that.

Every time I sell a previous model on eBay I think "this was such a great phone, I hate to part with it". I don't want to be tempted away from the Evo (and more hard-earned money) by something that "eclipses" it. For me, the constantly increasing apps at free or very affordable cost should satisfy that desire for something new and bright and shiny.

If you are completely satisfied with what you have now, you probably won't ever need to upgrade (until the phone just stops working). My first smartphone was a Blackberry pearl. It did everything I needed it to do. The difference? It didn't do it as elegantly as my EVO does now. Bottom line is we WANT these creature comforts. It is sort of the same difference between living in a trailer or a mansion. Sure you can get what you need to live inside a trailer just fine. I think the vast majority would rather reside in that mansion, if they are given the choice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones