• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android or Iphone which is better, your opinion

Iphone blows the android out of the water i started with the android phone, i finally had to eat $200 and pay the cancelation fee. Its like night and day i defended the android phone fo as long as i could.

Really...and Until the recent news for Iphone you couldn't multitask or even have a wallpaper without jailbraking it, Not to mention Iphone as a phone NOT the operating programs...is rated one of the worst phones!!!

Don't get me wrong i think they are ok, but not when Apple wants to regulate the phone you paid for! This article is Cnet and a very reputable site....read link for yourself! You decide!!!! Android will RULE the market!!! Let alone 60-70% of phones coming out are Android....:cool:

The iPhone is the worst phone in the world - Crave at CNET UK

Upvote 0
Iphone blows the android out of the water i started with the android phone, i finally had to eat $200 and pay the cancelation fee. Its like night and day i defended the android phone fo as long as i could.

Yep you really defended android all you could. All of your..... wait, this is your first post.

Did you also know iphone can shut off/disable an app on your iphone with a flick of a (digital) switch? Even if you paid for it?

Reactions: itmike and kiddk1
Upvote 0
For neophites, those who care little about how their device works and like the warm embrace of a strictly controlled environment, the iPhone indeed blows away all other smartphones. Real life or iLife, you choose. BTW, when is Steve going to start suing everyone for stealing his multitasking invention?

I heartily LOLd. How true it is.

Upvote 0
I must admit with this 2.1 software I am liking the android a lot more, what would lock it in for me is the ability to store apps on the sd card, what I did not like about my ipod touch was the fact that I was limited to 11 screens of apps for an 8gb unit. with the android I am limited on the internal memory.

Did you also know iphone can shut off/disable an app on your iphone with a flick of a (digital) switch? Even if you paid for it?
seriously, i did not know that, that REALLY SUCKS!

Upvote 0
Yep you really defended android all you could. All of your..... wait, this is your first post.

hahaha...True! Did you know that iphone if you purchase a song from Itunes and then try to use as a ringtone, it sends you back to itunes to buy the same ring tone song you just purchased!

Upvote 0
I must admit with this 2.1 software I am liking the android a lot more, what would lock it in for me is the ability to store apps on the sd card, what I did not like about my ipod touch was the fact that I was limited to 11 screens of apps for an 8gb unit. with the android I am limited on the internal memory.

seriously, i did not know that, that REALLY SUCKS!

The thing is, Android apps are significantly smaller than iPhone apps in storage size. You're looking at 5MB being a very large app (that does a lot) on Android yet an app the same size on iPhone is barely usable if it isn't a calculator. That's from the overhead of the modified OS X running on iPhones plus the Cocoa code framework, and the DRM fluff.

The only bad thing about running apps from SD would be the huge performance hit as evidenced by Apps2SD. It's fine for apps you don't use often or are constantly running like an alarm clock or IM app but stuff you use often that are fairly intensive will run like crap.

Reactions: kiddk1
Upvote 0
The iPhone is a nice phone. But the iPhone has one serious drawback and that is in its lack of options. It is one single phone and one carrier. If you want an iPhone you have to love the lack of options. I don't. So IMHO, while I do like the iPhone for what it is I love the Android because it means freedom. Freedom to pick a device with a keyboard, freedom to use Amazom MP3 if I like, freedom to use a standard USB cable for charging, and freedom from carriers.

Upvote 0
In the long run, Android will control because it is more open and less subject to proprietary controls implemented and enforced by a single corporation.

App developers don't have to get permission to release an app for Android, and the crowd-sourcing of feedback and reputation effects will help advance the stellar apps, and over time, impede the junk apps. This openness to ALL apps will win the day, in the long run, just as the openness in the PC market gave an advantage to the IBM/Microsoft OS.

Like any new OS, Android will need to continue to improve along the way, and the competitive pressures from the iPhone (which has been available longer) will help drive evolutionary improvement to Android over time.

The existence and availability of the Android operating system will also ultimately weaken the control of the telecomm companies who have, historically, been able to pretty much control the software, hardware and network parts of the mobile marketplace. You see that weakening just a bit in the past year or two, especially as Android smartphones have become available with more diverse hardware platform options from more cellular carriers worldwide.

These characteristics, and the incentives they create for the consumers and the suppliers of Android components, will drive Android to gain market share year by year, which will naturally create the positive externality of attracting more developers and more investment to the Android side of the business.

Upvote 0
I do like android, and think that sprint is the best network.

But really, what sort of stuff can you do on android, that you can't do with a jailbroken iPhone. And it takes one click to JB, so don't say nothing its a locked down piece of crap, I have rooted a hero, and JB an iPhone, and the iPhone took 5 seconds compared to 20 minutes. The average consumer doesn't even know what root is, and if the do know what it does, they can get everything they want on cydia right on the device.

I have owned an iPhone, and currently have a HTC Hero, but I could put a palm pre theme on the iPhone, run multiple apps, have the android style grid unlock pattern password, etc.

Also I had HTC sense, like the one on the HTC diamond running on an iPhone smoothly, after JB'ing you can customize nearly any feature on the iPhone.

All you guys are the first ones to call people apple fanboys, but you are really just as big android fanboys.

Don't call me an apple fanboy because I own and prefer the Hero, for the widgets, customization, and plan to get the EVO, but the iPhone is confirmed to multitask, and the amount of games/apps is blowing android out of the water.

Upvote 0
Is there really any competion. iPhone is like a smart phone wearing training wheels. It gives you very limited options. Change the background, uhh no, how about that keyboard, oh that's a nope too. Get an app thru a third party, uhh no. Want to have a slide keyboard, uhhh no. Use any major carrier, umm that's a no also. That is a lot of no's for something so innovative and revolutionary os and device. The only thing apple did was do is completely dumb down smartphones and make it pretty. Almost everything the iPhone 3g did my palm centro could. I mean on the original one you couldn't even do mms messaging or copy/paste. Then apple brings it out and it's considered a major UPDATE. My manager was so amazed by the freaking MobileMe on the iPhone and was asking me if my phone could do all that. I just had too laugh and had too take a second before answering. I was like yeah, and so have most smartphones for a long time. She thought it was amazing that the phone could update your computer calendar over the net. I'm just wanting too facepalm so bad at this point. The only thing apple is a master and revolutionary at is marketing and advertising. Then you have the iPhone users, these idiots that couldn't even copy a DVD with a pc get the phone and think all of sudden that they are a tech god because they have the iPhone. I had a customer one time couldn't figure out too install a free antivirus I recommended, ask me why can't windows just have a app store button like his iPhone. He's like if Microsoft knew what they was doing they would add it. I tried too explain the limitations that would impose and he then said what limitations my iPhone isn't limited. Then I had that facepalm feeling again. I just let it go at that.

Mjz we don't have too break our phones to get options. Root is just another option not the only option. Most users don't jailbreak their iPhones either just like most android users don't root. Just for your info android is the fastest growing platform. The iPhone is about the boringest phone I've played with. Hell even the palm pre has more options in it's stock form. Sure the app market really sucks but atleast the barebone phone os gives you options.

Apple hear that train coming yeah it's the droid. Like the commercial says droid does.

Upvote 0
Is there really any competion. iPhone is like a smart phone wearing training wheels. It gives you very limited options. Change the background, uhh no, how about that keyboard, oh that's a nope too. Get an app thru a third party, uhh no. Want to have a slide keyboard, uhhh no. Use any major carrier, umm that's a no also. That is a lot of no's for something so innovative and revolutionary os and device. The only thing apple did was do is completely dumb down smartphones and make it pretty. Almost everything the iPhone 3g did my palm centro could. I mean on the original one you couldn't even do mms messaging or copy/paste. Then apple brings it out and it's considered a major UPDATE. My manager was so amazed by the freaking MobileMe on the iPhone and was asking me if my phone could do all that. I just had too laugh and had too take a second before answering. I was like yeah, and so have most smartphones for a long time. She thought it was amazing that the phone could update your computer calendar over the net. I'm just wanting too facepalm so bad at this point. The only thing apple is a master and revolutionary at is marketing and advertising. Then you have the iPhone users, these idiots that couldn't even copy a DVD with a pc get the phone and think all of sudden that they are a tech god because they have the iPhone. I had a customer one time couldn't figure out too install a free antivirus I recommended, ask me why can't windows just have a app store button like his iPhone. He's like if Microsoft knew what they was doing they would add it. I tried too explain the limitations that would impose and he then said what limitations my iPhone isn't limited. Then I had that facepalm feeling again. I just let it go at that.

Again I dont want mean to call you out, but alot of people are still saying its locked down, out of the box android is just as locked down as android, yes you can change the backround and have widgets but that its it, JB is one of the easiest things to do.

All of the things you said are true, apple is not the first person to do all of that, but when they make a product for the average consumers they knwo what they are doing.

Could you honestly say that after owning a Palm device that the iPhone doesn't at least look and function in a cool way. Palm phones and WM phones have a lot more functionality, but for the Average consumer the iPhone has been the king, However with the droid and nexus one coming out and other phones, android is starting to appeal to average consumers as well.

but the iphone sells becasue when it does sometihng it does it fast, and looks cool, thats what the average consumer wants.

Again JB an iPhone is extremely easy and lets you customize the phone more than a rooted android device does, thats a fact, I am rooted and flashed on DC 2.05 (android 2.1) on my hero, and although it is extremely cool how I can customize everything, what I said in the post before this is true, I could still change the iPhones look more than my android phone.

Upvote 0
I said it was pretty. Though you can't say that in its stock form that the iphone is not limiting. And once you get pass the fluff its boring. I'm running both an ipod touch and moment stock other than 2.1 dd10. I also have experience with the actual iphone and it simply says no too many times for it an actual contender against anything with options. It is a nice basic smartphone that is way overpriced.

Upvote 0
Again I dont want mean to call you out, but alot of people are still saying its locked down, out of the box android is just as locked down as android, yes you can change the backround and have widgets but that its it, JB is one of the easiest things to do.

As true a statement as there ever was!:D

BTW, can the iPhone install software from any place other than the company store "out of the box"? If not, then it is indeed more "locked down" than Android.

Upvote 0
I do like android, and think that sprint is the best network.

But really, what sort of stuff can you do on android, that you can't do with a jailbroken iPhone. And it takes one click to JB, so don't say nothing its a locked down piece of crap, I have rooted a hero, and JB an iPhone, and the iPhone took 5 seconds compared to 20 minutes. The average consumer doesn't even know what root is, and if the do know what it does, they can get everything they want on cydia right on the device.

I have owned an iPhone, and currently have a HTC Hero, but I could put a palm pre theme on the iPhone, run multiple apps, have the android style grid unlock pattern password, etc.

Also I had HTC sense, like the one on the HTC diamond running on an iPhone smoothly, after JB'ing you can customize nearly any feature on the iPhone.

All you guys are the first ones to call people apple fanboys, but you are really just as big android fanboys.

Don't call me an apple fanboy because I own and prefer the Hero, for the widgets, customization, and plan to get the EVO, but the iPhone is confirmed to multitask, and the amount of games/apps is blowing android out of the water.

Can you run a jailbroken iPone on Sprint? I think not!

Upvote 0
The iphone and the os itself is not bad in my opinion, but there are some issues I have with it right now.

1.In my area of toledo ohio, GSM carriers are terrible. AT&T, T-mobile, etc.
2.Plan rates are also terrible, and don't go by AT&T but go by Apple instead. I couldn't afford it.
3.Itunes and quicktime. I am not a fan of Itunes and Quicktime on Windows machines. If I were running osx86 again, I'd have no issue with it.

Other than that, the Iphone is pretty solid. However, Android is a lot more flexible. And Google is not controlling what carrier the phone and/or OS goes to. Google is actually pretty open to it.

Upvote 0
Also look at Apple's "priority" list for the iphone OS
1) After 3 short years of development, it FINALLY GOT CUT AND PASTE!!!!
2) Can your phone use data WHILE on the phone? Well.. actually.. can your phone do multiple tasks at the same time? We are finally going to allow it after 4+ years!!!!
3) Other useless crap that apple believes is important, while leaving out the real stuff that most people actually use day to day...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones