• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Studio 3.6.3 extremely slow in debug mode

MarioFB

Lurker
May 3, 2020
I have just upgraded from Android Studio 3.2.1 to 3.6.3 (latest version) and found the debugging mode on Samsung Note 10+ becoming unbearably slow - practically unmanageable.
I have also upgraded to the latest Gradle version 5.6.4 with plugin 3.6.3 (hoping that this might fix the problem) but unfortunately it made no difference.
The speed problem is so bad that I am considering uninstalling this latest version of Android Studio and installing the previous version 3.2.1, which worked fine.

Would anyone please could provide some suggestions what else I should try to resolve this major problem ?
Thank you.

The problem was resolved after restarting the computer and the Android studio a few more times. Now the debugging mode speed is similar to the one observed in the old Android Studio version 3.2.1.
However, all the claims about major speed improvements when developing in the latest Android Studio appear to be totally false.

Upvote 0
I have finally got to the bottom of what caused this serious slow down issue:

Windows Defender is impacting the Android Studio build performance !
See the link below for details of the issue and how to fix it:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...der-might-be-impacting-your-build-performance

It is extremely poor and unacceptable that Android Studio developers do not provide this vital information more openly to unsuspecting users !
The information in the link below should be more widely publicized to all users of Android Studio:
https://developer.android.com/studio/intro/studio-config?utm_source=android-studio#antivirus-impact

Upvote 0
Not only debugging on device is slow, but on the emulator also. Step takes 5-20 sec to execute.
I am using Ubuntu, so Windows recommendations are irrelevant.

In general, Android Studio is not getting better with new releases. Practically every version has regressions. It seems that their QA department is not functional.
Specifically with 3.6.3 in addition to slow debugging, there is a serious issue with caching. On every launch I see something like:
Changes were not applied.
Modifications to AndroidManifest.xml require an app restart.
Manifest 'AndroidManifest.xml' was modified.
Reinstall and restart app

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones