• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Animated radar

2horses

Android Enthusiast
When I go to my local tv station's web site and try to view their animated weather radars, I can see them but they don't animate. Is this due to flash, something with the web site itself (not being mobile-specific), or am I just using the wrong app to view weather radars?

I imagine it depends on what the site uses to display the animation. If it's in Flash then it shouldn't show at all afaik. If it's Java it should show, I think.

Give us the link to the page. Maybe others can test on their devices, or at least check out the page and find out what they use to display the animation.

It appears to just be an animated image like a jpg or something. Those must not be supported. I would use an app, and not a website for radar. Weatherbug and The Weather Channel are both free and have great animated maps.

I have the weather channel widget on my home page, but can't find the maps? Is it a separate app?

You have to run the app. If you have the widget then you should also have the app. Just open the actual app and there are options to enter a zip code or choose your current location. Then there is a button that says map it.

Well hell! I have seen the map it, just didn't realize it was the radar!! Going there now....well, I may have to check it again when there's actually weather in the area, all I saw was a roadmap with my location pin-pointed.

When I first got the phone I saw the same thing with weatherunderground's radar.
Now I use Rainydays for a quick look at radar and weatherbug for a second opinion :)

It appears to just be an animated image like a jpg or something. Those must not be supported. I would use an app, and not a website for radar. Weatherbug and The Weather Channel are both free and have great animated maps.
The free version of Weatherbug does not have animated maps. You have to get the paid version for that.

I've got the paid version of weatherbug and love it. I had it on my BB too. Also, the paid weatherbug has a widget that puts a radar map on your screen. kind of a handy little thing sometimes... I'm also a tad of a weather nerd so take everything i say about it with a grain of salt lol

My property backs up to a creek that can and will flood it if the conditions are right, so being able to see what's coming when there's bad weather can help me get home before I get flooded out. I may have to try out the paid version of weatherbug - although I've avoided it like the plague in the past when I've seen what it can do to my user's desktops! Maybe it's not so... ummm.... invasive any more?

I don't think it's the same on the Android platform as it is on a PC. I know what you're talking about, though. It install(s/ed) bloatware and adware on your computer. My guess is that they can't really do that on the Android platform as easily as they could on a PC though.

I wouldn't really worry about that sort of thing. While phones are becoming more and more like fully fledged computers, there are still limitations. Even if it decides to be obnoxious, you can uninstall of it easily and get your money back by returning the app in under 30 days, (isn't that right?)

Well, lookie who wised up!! KVUE WX - Android app on AppBrain

Heard them advertise it this morning while watching the news. It's downloading now, will let you know how it goes.

ETA - nice, very nice! They have had an iPhone app for a while, but it looks like the Droid app was created 15 days ago. I'm glad they advertised it or I would not have bothered to look for it! Droid's are takin' over, I tell ya.....

Just use the webpage for Accuweather, Weather Channel or Weather Bug? The phone's browser is fast.

Go to the site. Put in your zipcode, get the radar page, hit 'animate', then save THAT page in your favorites. Did that with my Storm and it pulled up the animated page every time. Easy, squeezy.

Back
Top Bottom