• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Antivvirus on Rooted phone?

lowkey69ac

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone if using an Antivirus app on their rooted phone. I tried using AVG's mobile version, but for some reason, it was downloading like 5MB of stuff per hour!

No. It's totally superfluous. Apps run in a sandboxed environment. They can only access things if you explicitly allow them. Just be careful what you install. Read reviews on the market and you'll be fine

I have not had the need to use one (yet). When there is a real threat (like on PCs), then I'll consider it.

I used to run AVG free when I was new to my desire (unrooted though) but then I realised it's really just a process drain.

AVG jumped in the market because they knew young and confused users would immediately grab there familiar program and make a quick buck.

Not to say there won't be a time when there will be a call for it.

I don't use an AV on my phone but, I do use a firewall called Droidwall which is in the Market. Once installed just select the programs you want to allow or deny out. It is very affective for things trying to get out, not so sure about things getting in though. I haven't checked to see if its default is "deny all in". I may look around to see if there is a terminal that includes allows ipchains commands to be entered manually. You also get a option to select if a certain program has access via WiFi and/or carrier network.

Back
Top Bottom