• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Aquarists out there?

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
Any AF members out there keep and maintain fish? I really have an itch for it right now. I have a 180gal freshwater African cichlid tank and a 65gal salwater reef tank. I will not post pictures just yet, because both tanks are kind of in transition and will be needing upgrades soon.

the 180gal tank will be getting a 3D background from https://www.universalrocks.com/ and I'm currently working on a plumbing system with an overflow and a custom refugium for my reef tank.

I'm just curious if anybody here who loves tech as much as i do also likes aquariums as well.

Last edited:
I used to have one many, many moons ago.
Over the years I've been toying around with the idea of getting another one but don't have room to put one.
I suppose if I really had to scratch that itch, I'd find room :D

the background i want will set me back $500 or so. I also plan on switching out the gravel to a sand substrate. and most likely will remove the rocks.

the reef filtration is going to be DYI so it should not cost as much to do. it just takes time and planning.

I tried to keep fish many years ago without any success. I should have started out small and learned as I went along. Instead I jumped into it with both feet thinking it would be as easy as any other pet. Over a year or so I managed to put to death some fine and expensive fish. I sold my aquarium and moved on. There is such a relaxing and fascinating nature about watching fish in an aquarium but there is much more to it then than that. I admire and respect anyone that has the patience and knowledge to keep a conducive environment for fish!

So Turtle tanks are right out then?
Yeah they are.
Nowhere in your league @ocnbrze.
well turtle tanks are fine as long as they are aquatic turtles. i have always wanted to do a riparium where it is part land and part water that is loaded with land plants and aquatic plants........but those kind of tanks are going to be big and expensive, if you wanted to do it right.

I tried to keep fish many years ago without any success. I should have started out small and learned as I went along. Instead I jumped into it with both feet thinking it would be as easy as any other pet. Over a year or so I managed to put to death some fine and expensive fish. I sold my aquarium and moved on. There is such a relaxing and fascinating nature about watching fish in an aquarium but there is much more to it then than that. I admire and respect anyone that has the patience and knowledge to keep a conducive environment for fish!
to be honest, small is not always the way to go. small environments are less stable then larger ones. the more volume of water you have the slower the water conditions can change. it is definitely more expensive that's for sure. to bad you moved on as they keep my brain occupied and they for sure have helped reduce my stress.

I found a 25 Gallon fish tank to keep my Red Eared Slider in .He grew up in a 10 gallon tank. He's a foot long now about 17 years old

I do have room for a terrarium in my hallway but I'd have to buy a new table, filter and lid.

+ Water is heavy.

to be honest, small is not always the way to go. small environments are less stable then larger ones.

If memory serves me, I purchased a 85 gallon hex or octagonal tank and stand. It was quite attractive to me but near impossible to reach to the bottom to clean. Not a good excuse but over time I failed to keep the environment clean for my fish. Even to the point that my home smelled of fish. :( I love pets and have had a wide variety over the years. They all are rewarding in some fashion. However, I lacked the discipline for keeping fish.

If memory serves me, I purchased a 85 gallon hex or octagonal tank and stand. It was quite attractive to me but near impossible to reach to the bottom to clean. Not a good excuse but over time I failed to keep the environment clean for my fish. Even to the point that my home smelled of fish. :( I love pets and have had a wide variety over the years. They all are rewarding in some fashion. However, I lacked the discipline for keeping fish.
yeah discipline.....i hear that. on most days its a hobby. on other days it feels like a chore to be done. but to me aquarium keeping is kind of like gardening.

OT: No room for turtles in this thread. They start so small but grow like almost forever.
yes people do not realize how big red eared sliders can get. its why i wish that most pet stores either do not sell them or train their staff better. there are a ton of fish and reptiles that should never be sold.

I used to have one many, many moons ago.
Over the years I've been toying around with the idea of getting another one but don't have room to put one.
I suppose if I really had to scratch that itch, I'd find room :D
This is exactly me. I keep looking around for a place to put one then remember I didn't really like cleaning the one I had then remember how much I really liked having a fish tank.

OMG you guys are hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!

gonna be doing some DIY today on my reef tank. I might post some pictures if amybody is interested.

edit: who gets to decide what the best answer is? shouldn't i be the one? its my thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I have a pond that used to have koi before the local heron population turned it into their free sushi bar. Does that count?
Same. Put a pond in the yard (old house) after the two 'fair' fish took over the 55 gallon I had. They grew and bred and had others added for fun until that day the heron cleaned it all out :( Those two original fish were about 8 years old, stupid bird.

I have a pond that used to have koi before the local heron population turned it into their free sushi bar. Does that count?

On a related note, and continuing the aquatic theme, there was controversy recently as BBC's Blue Planet programme released a batch of baby turtles on a beach, with disastrous consequences

"We are responsible for safeguarding their futures". Yeah for the next 5 seconds!! :D
Imagine the reaction to this -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47775122

Whatever post gets the most votes for best answer.
ahhhh i see. i was on my phone and did not see that option. i'm now on my pc and get what you are saying.

as for ponds go.........it really does not make you an aquarist. you have to have an aquarium to be an aquarist.

but i guess for the sake of this thread that's fine by me.

i am planning at some point to turn my swimming pool into a pond. it has some leaking issues some place in the plumbing work. we just do not know where the leak is.....so the swimming pool has been drained.

i have to think on whether i want to fill it or not.

Back
Top Bottom