• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Any chance this OC Module will work with our phone?

sawbones999

Mar 18, 2012
[MOD] 1.8GHz+ overclock module for HTC DROID… | Droid Incredible 4G LTE | XDA Forum

1.8ghz oc module for Droid Incredible 4G (Also MSM8690 and pretty sure also kernel ver. 3.0.8), implemented via init.d script.

Does our kernel accept this type of module? (Either stock or Matrix?) I'd love to see this work. I will test, but asking for opinions first. Also, maybe if this particular module won't work one can be created following this tutorial? [Guide] How to port kernel modules | EVO 4G LTE | XDA Forum

If this won't work, could someone please compile the 1.8ghz or 2.1ghz code which is posted in the matrix kernel and post an installable zip? If there is a script to compile and only a few minor changes need to be made to compile it, I can give it a shot if someone could point me in the right direction.

The Droid Incredible 4G people have been running this 1.8ghz mod since 2012, and I don't really see why our phone shouldn't be able to do the same since it's the same proc (and the Droid Incredible 4G comes stock underclocked to 1.2GHZ).

Thanks all and cheers!
-SB

[MOD] 1.8GHz+ overclock module for HTC DROID… | Droid Incredible 4G LTE | XDA Forum

1.8ghz oc module for Droid Incredible 4G (Also MSM8690 and pretty sure also kernel ver. 3.0.8), implemented via init.d script.

Does our kernel accept this type of module? (Either stock or Matrix?) I'd love to see this work. I will test, but asking for opinions first. Also, maybe if this particular module won't work one can be created following this tutorial? [Guide] How to port kernel modules | EVO 4G LTE | XDA Forum

If this won't work, could someone please compile the 1.8ghz or 2.1ghz code which is posted in the matrix kernel and post an installable zip? If there is a script to compile and only a few minor changes need to be made to compile it, I can give it a shot if someone could point me in the right direction.

The Droid Incredible 4G people have been running this 1.8ghz mod since 2012, and I don't really see why our phone shouldn't be able to do the same since it's the same proc (and the Droid Incredible 4G comes stock underclocked to 1.2GHZ).

Thanks all and cheers!
-SB
Zte sorta did this officially. Its in the kernel source, just not used. I'm sure someone around can compile it

Upvote 0
Ok, so, I first tried to insmod the krait_oc.ko and got an error. I did dmesg as described in the how-to to find the error and it was indeed the module layout.

I copied the lcd.ko to my computer and opened both files in a hex editor and made the 4 hex values that preceded the asci value for module_layout match. Saved, adb push to phone and then insmod krait_oc.ko and it loaded!

What's more is I opened Android Tuner and there was indeed now a max CPU freq of 1.8ghz! This looks promising! I selected this value and updated....then the system locked up.

Taking a look at the init.d script OCScript.sh I saw that there were some values passed to the module. Specifically "insmod krait_oc.ko pll_l_val=67 vdd_uv=1300000".

This made the system lock up as well.

I did not use the thermald.conf file from the Droid Incredible 4g bc it looked a lot different from ours. I am right now using adb to pull our thermald.conf for comparison.

I was going to copy this to the /system/etc/init.d folder, but just found out we don't have one in DSF .7? I thought init.d was included.

I made a zip of what I have so far (including the working module). Keep in mind this thermald.conf is for the droid incredible 4g.

Cheers,
-SB

Attachments

• krait_oc.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
So I thought maybe some modifications to the thermald.conf would matter, so not really knowing what I'm doing I tried to copy in some of the differences from the Droid Incredible 4G thermald.conf

What I came up with is attached.

Still, if I insmod ./krait_oc.ko
It loads.

When I check Android Tuner there is now a 1.8Ghz choice for max cpu freq. As soon as I select this, the system locks up.

Same thing happens if I run insmod ./krait_oc.ko pll_l_val=67 vdd_uv=1300000 (From their script) except then it hangs immediately.

So whatever changes I made to the thermald.conf were apparently not enough, or possibly this module needs to be recompiled for our device specifically.

If anyone has any ideas, i'm game!
Cheers and goodnight,
-SB

Attachments

• thermald.zip
    447 bytes · Views: 86
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones