• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any good data usage widget for the Bionic?

wildkitten

Android Enthusiast
Now that Verizon has gone and completely made the My Verizon widget useless because they removed the auto update functionality, is there any good data use widgets that the community can reccomend that works well, and reasonably accurately, with the Bionic?

Now that Verizon has gone and completely made the My Verizon widget useless because they removed the auto update functionality, is there any good data use widgets that the community can reccomend that works well, and reasonably accurately, with the Bionic?

Yea there is one that comes with the phone

Yea there is one that comes with the phone

That's the My Verizon widget that Verizon just rendered useless. The update today makes it so it no longer updates data usage automatically, you have to actually open the app. That's why I'm looking for a new one.

I'll look into finding one if you want

I'm hoping someone has actual experience with an alternative app/widget. These have all sorts of permissions to them I want to make sure I get a reputable one that people have had a positive experience with. I know there are a few on the Play Market, but if someone from the community has used one personally and knows that it's reliable and fairly accurate, it's that opinion I am looking for.

That's the My Verizon widget that Verizon just rendered useless. The update today makes it so it no longer updates data usage automatically, you have to actually open the app. That's why I'm looking for a new one.

I'm hoping someone has actual experience with an alternative app/widget. These have all sorts of permissions to them I want to make sure I get a reputable one that people have had a positive experience with. I know there are a few on the Play Market, but if someone from the community has used one personally and knows that it's reliable and fairly accurate, it's that opinion I am looking for.

The ICS leaks have a built in Data monitoring system, including setting the dates that your monthly data rolls over, setting a data warning cap, and more.

As for an app that works on GB, I never used one since my D1 days, but 3G Watchdog - Google Play Store is what I used back then.

You will probably be better off just trying free ones from the play store with lots of downloads and stars until you find one you like, you may also get more users of apps like this respond by posting your question in the apps section of the forum here. Android Applications - Android Forums
Yes, I saw a few of them, but of course all the permissions they require, which seems understandable for what it does, just makes me nervous unless someone has tried them. I will try that forum.

The ICS leaks have a built in Data monitoring system, including setting the dates that your monthly data rolls over, setting a data warning cap, and more.

As for an app that works on GB, I never used one since my D1 days, but 3G Watchdog - Google Play Store is what I used back then.
Do you think the final OTA ICS will have that built in as well? And I'm assuming it's an Android one, not a Verizon one?

I just can't believe Verizon would do something so dumb. Well, then again, I guess I can. They are probably counting on people going over because of it meaning they can charge them so much extra.

Yes, it will, b/c the AOSP-built ICS already had them in them.
And that isn't a Verizon widget correct?

BTW, downloaded the 3G Watchdog, really like it so far. Will compare it to My Verizon for a few days to see if it's being accurate, but I really love the options and the detailed reports.

If the 3G Watchdog doesn't seem accurate I will give that a try, but so far so good. The 3G Watchdog does the wifi as well, not on the widget but in the app, but at the same time there is no cap for wifi use. Was also able to set the start date as well as how much data I had already used for the month in the 3G Watchdog.

And that isn't a Verizon widget correct?

BTW, downloaded the 3G Watchdog, really like it so far. Will compare it to My Verizon for a few days to see if it's being accurate, but I really love the options and the detailed reports.

It's nto a widget at all. It's a part of System Setttings.

See screen shots:

ICS Data Usage 01.jpg

ICS Data Usage 02.jpg

ICS Data Usage 03.jpg

ICS Data Usage 04.jpg

ICS Data Usage 05.jpg

ICS Data Usage 06.jpg

Well, I will say the more screenshots of ICS I see, the more I like it.

But I was really hoping for a built in widget. The 3G watchdog seems to run a few megabytes high. In other words, it's showing I have used about 190MB so far this month when I have used like 178MB. Of course I don't mind it being a little incorrect that way. Much better than showing to little data usage.

Yeah, and it performs even better than it looks - which is why I jumped on the leaks.

I just went searching, since I do not monitor data usage anymore, but I confirmed there is no stock data widget at all.

Back
Top Bottom