• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any new phone rumors for Sprint?

My pure speculation based on confirmed info and rumors, this is my prediction for upcoming phones and releases:

4/22 - Galaxy Nexus and LG Viper
5/13 - Galaxy Note (I don't know if it will be on this particular date, but that's past the 14 day return/exchange period...I recently was reminded that Sprint changed it from 30 days to 14 days).
6/3 - LTEvo
6/24 - Motorola offering or maybe new offering from another manufacturer?
7/15 - Samsung GS III (aka E4GT 2)
8/5 - ???

Here's the question though. I wonder what "other" LTE devices Sprint will have that will be released this year. TS had pointed out in a Photon thread that Sprint announced they'll release 15 LTE capable devices.
Sprint won't be releasing any more new WiMAX devices | PhoneDog

So far, there's the Galaxy Nexus, LG Viper, upcoming Tri-network hotspot, and LTEvo. That's 4 confirmed devices, but that leaves 11 still to be released.

Just basing on history from last year's 4g Devices, maybe these:
Photon 2 (or whatever Motorola offers), E4GT 2, HTC EVO View 2, HTC EVO Shift 2, Samsung Conquer 2, HTC EVO Design 2, Dell Netbook, Lenovo Netbook

That leaves 3 more possible LTE 4G devices released this year. Sprint bringing something new to the table or just more LTE 4G capable hotspots?

Upvote 0
My pure speculation based on confirmed info and rumors, this is my prediction for upcoming phones and releases:

4/22 - Galaxy Nexus and LG Viper
5/13 - Galaxy Note (I don't know if it will be on this particular date, but that's past the 14 day return/exchange period...I recently was reminded that Sprint changed it from 30 days to 14 days).
6/3 - LTEvo
6/24 - Motorola offering or maybe new offering from another manufacturer?
7/15 - Samsung GS III (aka E4GT 2)
8/5 - ???

Here's the question though. I wonder what "other" LTE devices Sprint will have that will be released this year. TS had pointed out in a Photon thread that Sprint announced they'll release 15 LTE capable devices.
Sprint won't be releasing any more new WiMAX devices | PhoneDog

So far, there's the Galaxy Nexus, LG Viper, upcoming Tri-network hotspot, and LTEvo. That's 4 confirmed devices, but that leaves 11 still to be released.

Just basing on history from last year's 4g Devices, maybe these:
Photon 2 (or whatever Motorola offers), E4GT 2, HTC EVO View 2, HTC EVO Shift 2, Samsung Conquer 2, HTC EVO Design 2, Dell Netbook, Lenovo Netbook

That leaves 3 more possible LTE 4G devices released this year. Sprint bringing something new to the table or just more LTE 4G capable hotspots?

I'm really hoping for a shift 2, with the specs of the evo LTE.

Upvote 0
I am crossing everything I possibly can for the Note!

hahaha...you and TS, Td. I like the concept of the Note, but I'm still giving them another year before Samsung can gain back my faith in improving their mobile support. Still a little too big for my tastes, but the concept behind it is great.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
hahaha...you and TS, Td. I like the concept of the Note, but I'm still giving them another year before Samsung can gain back my faith in improving their mobile support. Still a little too big for my tastes, but the concept behind it is great.

I have played with both the Galaxy Nexus and the Note. The Note I believe is simply too big. I have at least average size hands, but the Note is like a mini tablet. The Nexus though is a good size. I guess the New Evo would be perfect also. So it's down to the Nexus against the new Evo. I really want a Google experience device but that new screen on the One X and Evo is universally praised. Nexus is coming soon, and the Evo is much later. Too many choices. Wish I was an iPhone fan. :)

Upvote 0
Ok granted this might be the wrong place for this question, but a quick search of the form did not produce an answer....

As I have mentioned before, I have an HTC EVO with WiMax 4G.

So my questions are...

First, when Sprint finishes rolling out LTE, will they disconnect WiMax (thus rendering my phone 3G only) ?
I have already noticed the 4G service in my area getting more spotty.

Second, if Sprint does discontinue WiMax, do you think that they might offer an early upgrade to users like me that have about a year until I am eligible for an upgrade ?
I mean, I WiMax is shut down, and my data service gets crappy, I would consider even a somewhat discounted upgrade.

Let me know what you all think...

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
As I understand it from the Sprint employees that I have had privy to speak with, WiMax isn't going anywhere for at least 2 more years. However, it's also not getting improved either. The WiMax 4G will be around for the last year of your contract, then you can upgrade to the LTE and never look back. :)

Thanks for the response!

Thanks for the article link! Good info!

Upvote 0
Drex, that's not a bad prediction of release dates. However, I would say that the real high end phones like the EVO LTE and the GS3 always drop on Fridays. As far as the GS3 dropping at July, I really hope that happens.

Aren't Fridays usually the "early" release though? I always thought that was based on the Gold premiere release vs. Silver. I could've been completely mixed up, as I had always been able to take advantage of the early release (if I wanted), since I was a Gold premiere, but maybe I got mis-informed about the Friday releases.

Upvote 0
Aren't Fridays usually the "early" release though? I always thought that was based on the Gold premiere release vs. Silver. I could've been completely mixed up, as I had always been able to take advantage of the early release (if I wanted), since I was a Gold premiere, but maybe I got mis-informed about the Friday releases.

No, the flaship phones are usually released on Fridays. I remember working when the Evo 4G was released on Friday. It was available to everyone.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Seeing as the nexus comes out this Sunday, will they do an early release on Friday ? The Sprint stores near me are closed Sundays so it would be nice to get the phone Friday.

Unless they have stated that customers can get it early I'm gonna say no. April 22nd is the street date, they aren't allowed to sell it before the street date unless Sprint has said that are particular customers can get it earlier. Best bet is to call your store and see what they say.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty hooked on the EVO LTE... But I'd take a long look if a Photon 2 came out.

I'm really anxious because more new verizon and att motorola phones have been leaking lately. I'd be very disappointed if Sprint decided to scale back. Considering the Photon got very little exposure, it had to have done way better than anticipated.

Nontheless, I'm not ruling out anything until all the devices have been released.

Reactions: simcha
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones