• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody else mystified by Mac owners using Android phones?

Edit: After re-reading your response again, I'm not really sure what you mean by "Besides that second point, the same holds true with Windows". If you mean that Windows has erratic behaviors, I wholeheartedly agree with that. If you're implying that Windows can be left on for weeks at a time while installing and uninstalling whatever you want, I would say that is entirely inaccurate and misleading... unless you're installing / uninstalling Microsoft-created software and not using your Windows system very much in between. Anytime you go installing/uninstalling 3rd party software on a Windows OS you're asking for major problems.

I was saying that it's entirely possible to leave a Windows machine on for a few weeks at a time and that it's more open than a Mac. I leave my Windows machine on all the time; I never shut it down. I just put it into Hibernate so it doesn't use power when I'm at school or sleeping. And you really can't argue the fact that it's more open than OS X; the only reason OS X works so "as-expected" is because pretty much everything is a first-party Apple program.

The iPhone OS was optimized completely for the iPhone while the Droid phone was optimized for the Android OS. That's the difference between Apple and non-Apple products. When you have complete control over the entire system from start to finish, your users sacrifice openness for the knowledge that everything was tuned to work with each other. That's a sacrifice many users are willing to make, but I'm not one of them.

I own a Macbook and I'd never give up my Droid for an iPhone. I almost switched from my old Windows Mobile phone to an iPhone when my plan was up with Verizon, but when I saw the announcement for the Droid I knew what phone I was going to get.

just got my i5 MBP. it will replace my 10 year old (still fully functioning) G4 tower. i use xp all day at work, i prefer to use os x at home.

I was saying that it's entirely possible to leave a Windows machine on for a few weeks at a time and that it's more open than a Mac. I leave my Windows machine on all the time; I never shut it down. I just put it into Hibernate so it doesn't use power when I'm at school or sleeping. And you really can't argue the fact that it's more open than OS X; the only reason OS X works so "as-expected" is because pretty much everything is a first-party Apple program.

Ding ding ding. Apple users who insist that Windows restarts every five minutes and crashes every fifteens simply don't really understand computers or... well, much of anything actually.

Have 3 MacBook pros, 5 iPods, 1 iPad, 2 iPhones, 1 Moto Droid. I am a software developer and need all these computers (most dual boot to Windows so I can do Oracle development in Windows)

Love my Droid, and really like the iPhones also, but as a geek I am very comfortable with the Droid. Really like OS X as the foundation is Free BSD which I love.

I use Mac, Windows (7 and XP), and Ubuntu on a regular basis, usually all in one day. At a certain point it really just becomes like a using the same computer just with a different theme. Theres some things I like about windows, well in 7 anyway, but I prefer to use macs or ubuntu. I think phones are the same way. Most smart phones now all have browsers, apps (winmo's a bit lacking), etc. What it really comes down to is what you feel the most comfortable using. I'd choose a android phone over the iPhone any day because of the customibilty it has, but for people like my brother who are computer illiterate I recommend an iPhone because its so ridiculous simple. Not that I'm saying android isn't incredibly simple to use, its just iPhone is so stripped of customization thats its really standard and simple, so much so that a lower primate could use it with ease.

I'm probably 45/45 between Mac and Linux, with a little Windows thrown in at work. Sitting at my desk here at work I'm typing on an Hp laptop running Ubuntu 10.04, to my left I have a dual 3Ghz quad core Mac Pro with 16Gb of ram, running 10.5 server, to my right is my Macbook Pro running 10.5 and windows Xp. I've had in the last two years, an iPhone, a WinMo phone and now the Droid. They all have their pro's and con's. Is one "better" than the other? Not really. The iPhone has probably one of the best music playing experiences of any of the phones I've ever had. WinMo still integrates into a corp office environment of any of them. Android is still newish, but I really like having a phone that's running a mostly open operating system. So far since the Droids release I've not been impressed with the updating system. Don't know if that's Google, Motorola, or Verizon though. I do know I'm not impressed with Verizon's network, the other two phones were on At&t, and I had a much faster internet connection on them, and no dead spots. Sitting at work, my Droid gets no signal, even though the map says I should. Nice thing is we're moving the office, and I get full signal throughout that building.

I have an iMac 27 i7, iPad 64gb, iPod Touch, MBP Pro 15 i7 Hi-res anti-glare and a Droid. I love the Droid but might jump back to the iPhone when it comes out in June.

I was referring to erratic behavior in general, using today's boot loop as an example. I do agree with you though, Linux is more stable than Windows.

Edit: After re-reading your response again, I'm not really sure what you mean by "Besides that second point, the same holds true with Windows". If you mean that Windows has erratic behaviors, I wholeheartedly agree with that. If you're implying that Windows can be left on for weeks at a time while installing and uninstalling whatever you want, I would say that is entirely inaccurate and misleading... unless you're installing / uninstalling Microsoft-created software and not using your Windows system very much in between. Anytime you go installing/uninstalling 3rd party software on a Windows OS you're asking for major problems.

I support mostly Windows boxes on a daily basis (been doing it for at least 15 years) which often involves installing, uninstalling and troubleshooting a myriad of different software and only occasionally does legitimate 3rd party software cause them to be behave erratically and usually when it does, it's a known bug or incompatibility in the software. And considering the amount of software that's out there for Windows, that's quite acceptable.

Usually the more serious issues with Windows are user related, involving either the wrong drivers, poor browsing habits or improper security measures.

I'll put my Win 7 box up against any Mac any day of the week. Even my work PC (win xp) is on for several weeks to a month at a time without a hiccup and I use it to not only to test different software, but hardware as well so it's filled to the brim with different drivers, software and utilities. The only time it turns off is when there's an overnight power outage.

As for Macs, well I've seen my fair share of crashes, incompatibilities and bugs , some of which stumped even Apple. I've had simple Apple updates break Hp drivers or cause other unrelated issues in OSX that was pretty impossible to troubleshoot without calling Apple. And hardware issues?? Tons of them. I don't buy for one minute, the myth that Apple hardware is 'better'. The truth is, it usually comes from the same place most other hardware comes from, China or Taiwan. The only difference is, it's prettied up to sell at a higher price.

I'm thinking about buying a HTC Incredible or Droid. What is the best way to transfer music and photos/video between my iMac and phone? I currently own an Env and was never able to get the pictures and video I took off the phone since it only came with software for Windows.

The iPhone OS was optimized completely for the iPhone while the Droid phone was optimized for the Android OS. That's the difference between Apple and non-Apple products. When you have complete control over the entire system from start to finish, your users sacrifice openness for the knowledge that everything was tuned to work with each other. That's a sacrifice many users are willing to make, but I'm not one of them.

Okay, well that makes sense. And I agree with your rationale. I for one, finally got tired of the problems that non-Microsoft programs were causing with Windows... always some incompatibility that would bring about some weird behaviors... and ultimately would cause system errors that seemed to snowball. I don't care about openness - I just want my computer to work damn near flawlessly all the time regardless of what it is I'm doing, and Apple does that for me.

I'm thinking about buying a HTC Incredible or Droid. What is the best way to transfer music and photos/video between my iMac and phone? I currently own an Env and was never able to get the pictures and video I took off the phone since it only came with software for Windows.

You can just mount the phone's sdcard. It will come up as a drive, then you can just drag and drop. Or you can try Doubletwist.

I am a proud Macbook Pro 13.3 owner. I wouldnt trade it for any windows machine, but I do like windows 7, I am not a fanboy, I keep my options open. I HATE the iphone though. I think I will stick with Android for a while, it just keeps getting better and better, love open source. Also I dont like steve jobs to much either, but just on the iphone side of things, apple makes great computers, they should just stick to that.

I have an iPad, an iMac, a custom built Win 7 HTPC, a MSI Wind Netbook (boots Win7, OS X, Ubuntu) and a Droid.

The iMac is my primary machine. I love OS X. It's powerful, customizable, and the development community pumps out some really great stuff. I switched to Mac in college when Apple made the switch to Intel. I wanted a single machine that could boot Win and Mac. Since then, I found the true power of the underlying unix system of OS X. That said if 10.7 moved to an app store model, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

The Win7 HTPC is in my living room. Chose Win 7 because Media Center is the best in class, and I can watch Hulu and whatever else. Had an AppleTV and that thing is garbage. It's basically just a iTunes Store box.

iPad is just for casual surfing and gaming on the couch. It's great for what it does. I'd much rather use that than my netbook.

The Droid is my serious powerhouse mobile device. It's great to know that where ever I am, I have all that power in my pocked. I had an iPhone and couldn't deal with the limitations, and was sick of playing the jailbreak game. I OWN my phone, don't tell me what I can and can't do with it. Plus AT&T is terrible and doesn't even have 3G around here. I love that I can tether my work laptop or my iPad to it. You couldn't give me an iPhone, even if it was on Verizon.

The netbook is just for consulting, making sure I have whatever OS I need at the minute. Something quick to throw in my backpack if I need to go to a job. It's meh... but it serves its purpose.

So really, I choose the best tool to fit my need. I don't care who makes it. I can argue the value of Windows over Mac any day, and the other way around. Really confuses die hard Mac fanbois when they find out I use an iMac.

Pretty much. There isn't a single current-gen Mac desktop with a decent GPU even. ATI 4670 512 MB? Really, Apple? This is why nobody wants to develop games for your overpriced pieces of shit.

Not true. Steam is in beta testing for mac. That will allow thousands of new 3d games on mac. (modern warfare, battlefield, grand theft auto, left for dead.. etc)

Ding ding ding. Apple users who insist that Windows restarts every five minutes and crashes every fifteens simply don't really understand computers or... well, much of anything actually.

I have built a multitude of PC's and am writing this from my PC. However, I prefer to have a macbook for a laptop. It will more then likely last longer, it is built better, has great battery life, and is great for school. I also run windows in bootcamp on it when I need to use windows.

Everyone seems to think you have to like one or the other. And since this
is an ANDROID forum, i'm assuming most of use prefer ANDROID to the iPhone. Thats my case. Windows PC, Android Phone, Apple Laptop

Back
Top Bottom