• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else changing their mind about buying?

Lock-N-Load

Android Expert
Feb 8, 2010
WestSiiiide
The delays and some of the UK reviews starting to come out and the final Verizon LTE specs have given me enough time to reconsider buying the Nexus.

Really, other than shipping with ICS and an NFC chip, this phone is really no better than anything else. It is no thinner, not faster, no more memory, not expandable. There are phones that are thinner, faster (or equal), with more expandable memory and will be getting ICS 4-6 weeks after the Nexus launches anyway. Yes, I know part of it is the "pure" Google experience, but root can generally give me that anyway with the removal of bloatware, changing launchers or just loading a pure ICS version ROM (that devs like Pete make). The Nexus is really all about ICS and nothing about the phones hardware; the design, style, hardware is noting at all on the edge whereas at least the RAZR is breaking some new ground in footprint. And ICS will be coming to all future phones and many recently released top end phones anyway.

So I started to really wonder, is it just because I am ready to move on from my OG Droid that I am inpatient and ready to pounce, or is this phone really worth it? I have really started to think the latter. I know you can't put off buying a phone or any electronics forever as that is analysis paralysis and at some point you have to jump, but with some of the most recent Tegra 3 chip news - like the dramatically better power management (thanks to the the 5th companion core chip and DIDIM

The entire point of a Nexus phone is that updates come straight from Google and that it's unlocked and easy to modify with a fully published source.

If the hardware doesn't do it for you (and, given the many complaints you've levied against it, it clearly does not) - and the updates/open nature of the phone is not what you're after - then you definitely shouldn't buy it.

The updates/open nature of the phone are why I was interested. All it needs is competitive hardware, in my view, because that by itself is a huge draw. It doesn't need to tick every box on the latest-and-greatest hardware spec, it just needs to be highly competitive in the phone market and I'm good with that. It is highly competitive, so there we go - this is my phone. Oh, and I think NFC is important.

I don't care that ICS is coming to other phones shortly. I'm not even buying this because it's the first phone with ICS. I'm buying it because it's a Google device and that appeals to me.

Upvote 0
Other phone manufacturers "Say" they will have ICS in the beginning of '12. Do you actually believe them? It is just a ploy to get you to buy their products. Also, even if they had ICS and their crappy blur or sense skins ready by then, what about future updates to fix or modify ICS. They will take their time on those updates too......

Glad Verizon is finally getting a vanilla Android phone.

All that said, No, I am not changing my mind. I am hoping for 32GB, but even if it is 16GB I will still buy it.

Upvote 0
The entire point of a Nexus phone is that updates come straight from Google and that it's unlocked and easy to modify with a fully published source.

If the hardware doesn't do it for you (and, given the many complaints you've levied against it, it clearly does not) - and the updates/open nature of the phone is not what you're after - then you definitely shouldn't buy it.

The updates/open nature of the phone are why I was interested. All it needs is competitive hardware, in my view, because that by itself is a huge draw. It doesn't need to tick every box on the latest-and-greatest hardware spec, it just needs to be highly competitive in the phone market and I'm good with that. It is highly competitive, so there we go - this is my phone. Oh, and I think NFC is important.

I don't care that ICS is coming to other phones shortly. I'm not even buying this because it's the first phone with ICS. I'm buying it because it's a Google device and that appeals to me.

"because it's a Google device" - but what does that "really" mean? So what, you "might" get updates a little faster? Updates to the very software you don't claim to care too much about that it comes with?

"open nature of the phone" and really, what does this mean? With my Moto Droid, I have done everything and gotten everything one can do and get - and more - than any "pure" Nexus phone... so in the end, what does that really equate to? Hell, once rooted, I will often have updates and patches and improvements before Google pushes anything out. So, really, it is kind of a trite comment as I don't think it really means that much in the actual end.

I agree NFC is important, but all of what 1 or 2 phones will have it? Ha, not much use there now - you won;t really be able to Beam with anyone soon and if so, how much would you really use it. Not only that, the technology to accept payments and what not is now just coming on line so no real use for it now, it will be a year. So NFC will become common in the future, having it "now" really makes no difference as you really won't be able to use it functions anytime soon. But even there it is odd, one of the few phones to have an NFC chip but yet pretty average hardware.

Hardware 100% does matter to me and should matter to many. It is a huge part of a phone and the evolution forward. Not just the software as the software can only run as good as the hardware behind it.

And BTW, that 5mp camera that is suppose to have amazing shutter speed and panoramic mode? I used a RAZR this weekend that allowed just as fast - instant -- shutter speeds across many photos AND has the same panoramic feature all in an 8mp camera. Just saying... Google has us believing that 5mp camera is great in some way, and yet it is old and has already been done.

I won't apologize for having counter opinions and being critical of something if I start to see it may not be all that the masses are hyping it to be as really, in the end, the vague notions you have on how it is "better" don't equate to to much real world use.

Upvote 0
Other phone manufacturers "Say" they will have ICS in the beginning of '12. Do you actually believe them? It is just a ploy to get you to buy their products. Also, even if they had ICS and their crappy blur or sense skins ready by then, what about future updates to fix or modify ICS. They will take their time on those updates too......

bwa ha ha... "other manufacturers", as if Google is any different? Look at this debauchery on the release? Is it Nov 8,11,17,21,25 or December? Is it 16gb or 32? Is it the same thickness as all the other killer photos and their marketing pieces show, no it is much fatter but that is kicked under the rug in small fine print.

Man, your giving them way more credit than they deserve. Google IS one of those "Other phone manufacturers" your just drinking the kool aid. Lots of speculation on your part, and the masses part, about how all of those things you point out will really work. Hell, need I remind you of the joke of a fiasco the first directly sold from Google Nexus was.. a flop, a marketing and customer service nightmare and they stopped selling them that way. It is okay to question, criticize and rethink decisions before just blindly pushing forward because the forums and media have us all clamoring for something that in the end, when you really think about it, is not even cutting edge in any way.

Upvote 0
"because it's a Google device" - but what does that "really" mean? So what, you "might" get updates a little faster? Updates to the very software you don't claim to care too much about that it comes with?

I didn't say I didn't care about the software. What I said was, I didn't care that this phone was the first.

Also, it's not "might." Do you know what the Nexus devices are? They DO get updates a LOT faster, and they ALWAYS get updates instead of the manufacturers hemming and hawing and releasing when they feel like it.

"open nature of the phone" and really, what does this mean? With my Moto Droid, I have done everything and gotten everything one can do and get - and more - than any "pure" Nexus phone... so in the end, what does that really equate to?

Actually, your Moto Droid is a good example. It had an unlocked bootloader and a vanilla build. It was an eminently hackable phone, which is becoming fewer and further between. The RAZR has a locked bootloader, and the Rezound has S-On as well. So, my other two choices for phones are NOT as open as even your Droid was. It equates to a lot.

Hell, once rooted, I will often have updates and patches and improvements before Google pushes anything out. So, really, it is kind of a trite comment as I don't think it really means that much in the actual end.

I'm glad you don't think it means much, but it means a lot to me. My Droid X has a locked bootloader and the consequence of that is that I will never have a new kernel or be able to have a real custom recovery. It's all hacks and workarounds. Don't insult my comment by calling it "trite" when you clearly don't even understand what I'm referring to.

I agree NFC is important, but all of what 1 or 2 phones will have it? Ha, not much use there now - you won;t really be able to Beam with anyone soon and if so, how much would you really use it. Not only that, the technology to accept payments and what not is now just coming on line so no real use for it now, it will be a year.

Fine, your opinion and I have mine.

Google has us believing that 5mp camera is great in some way, and yet it is old and has already been done.

Fine. Buy into the megapixel wars. Great, lovely. You're wrong - period. Whether the Nexus camera is better or worse than others on the market is irrelevant to its megapixel count, and dismissing it because one number isn't as big as another is simply incorrect. There is no argument to be had there - a quality 5mp camera at these sensor sizes is every bit as good as an 8mp camera, and has the complete possibility of being better.

Dismissing it because of the megapixel count it doing so out of ignorance.

I won't apologize for having counter opinions and being critical of something if I start to see it may not be all that the masses are hyping it to be as really, in the end, the vague notions you have on how it is "better" don't equate to to much real world use.

WTF? Stop being so melodramatic. I didn't ask you to apologize for your opinions - I explicitly said that I fully thought you should buy another phone if this one doesn't do it for you. I only pointed out a major selling point for this point - and said that if that selling point wasn't why you wanted it, and if you didn't like other features, then you should probably shop elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Excellent posts by Binary as always. While I will not be getting the Nexus its because its made by Samsung. I have a long history with Samsung products and won't get into that here but if the Nexus was made by any of the other big three I would get it for sure. The main reason to get a Nexus is for the software, fastest updates, and open nature of the platform. The hardware is really a second consideration for most people.

Also remember that when posting and asking for opinions that you are going to get what you ask for. If someones opinion differs from yours that doesn't mean you should be disrespectful and resort to name calling. If you don't truly want other opinions that differ from yours then you shouldn't post.

Upvote 0
I fully concur with Bianary Visions. I'm not buying the phone just for the hardware (though it's certainly among the best of the year). The most enticing part of having a Nexus Device is the guaranteed updates and support directly from Google throughout its life cycle; which is inherently longer than most other devices due to this support.

Most manufacturers/carriers take a minimum of 4-5 months to to get official updates after the Nexus has them. By that time, the Nexus has already been updated again with a minor (x.x.1 increment) update too to fix/add more functionality to the phone. You can argue that you can always root the phone and update the phone yourself through custom ROMs, but you're usually getting a half-baked OS that way with considerably more bugs than a device that natively supports it (like the Nexus). I know this is true from the past 1.5 years of putting ROMs on my Droid.

Reactions: steevo1
Upvote 0
I didn't say I didn't care about the software. What I said was, I didn't care that this phone was the first.

Also, it's not "might." Do you know what the Nexus devices are? They DO get updates a LOT faster, and they ALWAYS get updates instead of the manufacturers hemming and hawing and releasing when they feel like it.

Actually, your Moto Droid is a good example. It had an unlocked bootloader and a vanilla build. It was an eminently hackable phone, which is becoming fewer and further between. The RAZR has a locked bootloader, and the Rezound has S-On as well. So, my other two choices for phones are NOT as open as even your Droid was. It equates to a lot.

I'm glad you don't think it means much, but it means a lot to me. My Droid X has a locked bootloader and the consequence of that is that I will never have a new kernel or be able to have a real custom recovery. It's all hacks and workarounds. Don't insult my comment by calling it "trite" when you clearly don't even understand what I'm referring to.

Fine, your opinion and I have mine.

Fine. Buy into the megapixel wars. Great, lovely. You're wrong - period. Whether the Nexus camera is better or worse than others on the market is irrelevant to its megapixel count, and dismissing it because one number isn't as big as another is simply incorrect. There is no argument to be had there - a quality 5mp camera at these sensor sizes is every bit as good as an 8mp camera, and has the complete possibility of being better.

Dismissing it because of the megapixel count it doing so out of ignorance.

WTF? Stop being so melodramatic. I didn't ask you to apologize for your opinions - I explicitly said that I fully thought you should buy another phone if this one doesn't do it for you. I only pointed out a major selling point for this point - and said that if that selling point wasn't why you wanted it, and if you didn't like other features, then you should probably shop elsewhere.

The guy who says to me "given the many complaints you've levied against it" is telling me to not be so "melodramatic"? Nice, that's rich. Are you following me? As I have no idea who you are or your past comments as (1) I don't care (2) this is a new conversation so keep it germane.

Anyway, how is the MP of the camera not an issue? Samsung is trying to tell us that they need to use years and years old camera MP size technology to accomplish the functions in the camera they tout. Which is 100% wrong as the RAZR has an 8mp camera that does the exact same stuff. If you think it is "literally" about 5 versus 8, your not getting the point. What that DOES point out is the use of old technology. To use your logic, let's go to 2mp and get a wicked fast setup, no? Why 5? Why are you cool with that? Because they sold you on it and you accepted it. The simple fact is that that is old hardware, an outdated choice, and is 1 example of it not being cutting edge. So yes, you can use that trite argument about the "MP wars" - something that a guy like you always does to defend an inferior camera choice - but it does matter. Just like faster processors, bigger battery life or more RAM or more storage space matters.. the camera MP does matter and matters to many people. But in your logic, it does not. Even some of the top tech pundits on the web question that choice. In the day when people are turning to their phones for photos more than a stand alone camera, so much so that ICS has the ability to go right into the camera when the phone comes on, you accept 5mp size from 2005?

Upvote 0
Besides the tiring waiting-game, Galaxy Nexus is actually a great device.

How so? In what way? Hardware? no. Software? Maybe for 3-6 weeks until everyone gets ICS. The company behind it? debatable.

There is nothing more teeth grinding than a vague empty comment like this with no substance.

I may not agree with binary visions, but at least he supports his position.

Upvote 0
Also remember that when posting and asking for opinions that you are going to get what you ask for. If someones opinion differs from yours that doesn't mean you should be disrespectful and resort to name calling. If you don't truly want other opinions that differ from yours then you shouldn't post.

I get a "WTF" and get called "melodramatic" and your telling me this? Please, point out where I called anyone names?

I want opinions and I want them supported and do not care if they are contrary to mine, but let's not waste time and posts with petty stuff like this that does not further the topic. We are not in high school and we don't need principles.

Reactions: JustinHEMI
Upvote 0
The guy who says to me "given the many complaints you've levied against it" is telling me to not be so "melodramatic"? Nice, that's rich. Are you following me? As I have no idea who you are or your past comments as (1) I don't care (2) this is a new conversation so keep it germane.

Anyway, how is the MP of the camera not an issue? Samsung is trying to tell us that they need to use years and years old camera MP size technology to accomplish the functions in the camera they tout. Which is 100% wrong as the RAZR has an 8mp camera that does the exact same stuff. If you think it is "literally" about 5 versus 8, your not getting the point. What that DOES point out is the use of old technology. To use your logic, let's go to 2mp and get a wicked fast setup, no? Why 5? Why are you cool with that? Because they sold you on it and you accepted it. The simple fact is that that is old hardware, an outdated choice, and is 1 example of it not being cutting edge. So yes, you can use that trite argument about the "MP wars" - something that a guy like you always does to defend an inferior camera choice - but it does matter. Just like faster processors, bigger battery life or more RAM or more storage space matters.. the camera MP does matter and matters to many people. But in your logic, it does not. Even some of the top tech pundits on the web question that choice. In the day when people are turning to their phones for photos more than a stand alone camera, so much so that ICS has the ability to go right into the camera when the phone comes on, you accept 5mp size from 2005?

I post on this forum very little, but am going to be on here very much when I get the Nexus. Getting to the point, the Nexus is going to be extremely powerful device. The phone drips luxury, goodness, and high-end technology that will be sufficient for a very long time. I understand how someone might think a 5mp camera is inferior to an 8mp one, though like Binary said, megapixels have absolutely nothing to do with camera quality. Having a decent camera on a phone is something that I want as well, but let's get real here. Every single day you will be using the phone, not the camera. I highly doubt you will be snapping 100+ pictures a day, and if you do, you need to purchase an actual camera. Let's not forget this is a phone and not a camera. The camera on the Galaxy Nexus will be more than sufficient for those times when you'd like to capture something.

P.S. I will not be responding to this thread again, so take this for what it's worth.

Upvote 0
Okay, just a couple points to address and then I'm done because you clearly are reacting with hostility.

I don't see why that's melodramatic. Have you or have you not posted multiple past threads and posts indicating dissatisfaction with various parts of the phone?

In regards to me following you, let me let you in on a little secret that most people here know: this is a public forum. I know, right? People can read your posts. All kinds of people. Even people you don't know. And some of those people might even remember what you've posted in the past few weeks - just like I might remember what I had for breakfast or what a customer said to me.

<camera stuff>

It's fine, I understand. You don't understand the tech at work here and without a lot of camera theory and such, you won't understand it from my brief posts. However, you're incorrect, and your argument is flawed. Maybe a comparison would help:

So you're shopping for a car, right? And you want the car that gets to the finish line of a race the fastest. Well, horsepower is a good rating, right? It's a nice number that you can use to comparison shop. So horsepower is like megapixels.

Only horsepower isn't the only metric or consideration. What about the vehicle weight? What about the efficiency (horsepower at the wheels instead of in the engine)? What about handling? All of these things don't make nice big numbers for customers to look at, but they are equally important. A car might be faster or handle better or be newer technology even though it's 50hp less than some other car.

For cameras, the NUMBER of photosites (megapixels) isn't the only thing that's important. Bigger photosites are much better for image quality and low noise - so packing more pixels in often degrades image quality and increases noise. Also, the lenses can only resolve so much - you could pack a 500mp sensor in there, and it's not going to resolve any more detail. Sensors themselves vary HUGELY, so if a very high quality sensor is only available at 5mp, that may be a better bet than a lower quality sensor at 8mp, or 10mp.

There's nothing else to say here, really. This is a case where you're wrong because you don't know the technology - and that's totally fine. Not everyone can know all technologies. I'm sure there's tons of stuff you know that I don't. But it doesn't make you right in this case.

I'm not saying the Nexus camera is great. I haven't tested it myself. But if it's not great, it's not because it's "old technology."

I get a "WTF" and get called "melodramatic" and your telling me this? Please, point out where I called anyone names?

Actually, my issue is that you called my opinion "trite" and then got all defensive about "not apologizing for your opinions" and said my thoughts were "vague notions." I said WTF because nobody insulted you, and nobody asked for you to apologize for your opinions. I posted something contrary and you flew off the handle about it.

So... that's it. I'm done. You're not happy with my responses, but I invite you to re-read my initial response and see that it was NOT aggressively targeted at you, and that your defensive response was not justified.

Upvote 0
I just saw AC review of GSM nexus and they seem to be pretty impressed overall though they think camera could be a little better. The 3G signal reception of Nexus seems strong where HSPA is weak and spotty in other phones. Battery life is a little better than GS2. Build quality feel in hand is good. Browser benchmark is faster than any smart-phone including iPhone4S according to anandtech. Flash for ICS will be addressed by Adobe soon by end of year, the volume bug is limited to GSM 2G radio and even that will be fixed soon.

That pretty much refutes anyone's argument knocking Nexus just because it's made by Samsung. It's currently best performing android phone browsing and UI wise. I don't care much about Tegra3 device coming Q1 next year. Samsung is preparing quad core Exynos chip for SGSIII in summer that will easily kill tegra3 performance. Until then Nexus is just fine even hardware wise.

Upvote 0
Personally, I think the Galaxy Nexus is an excellent phone. I dont have time for rooting and updating Roms, I also havent liked Sense or Samsung's skin (recently owned an SGS2 and Sensation) so the Nexus is a great choice for me. The hardware in my opinion is great, the Nexus S didnt rause the bar when it came out, but its still a good phone today. People can get bogged down in specs - Tegra 3 blah blah blah, Android probably wont utilize quad core for another year anyway.

On top of that and mentioned by others too:

The plastic casing feels and looks great. I went for an HTC Sensation because I wanted a premium feel and the Nexus doesnt disappoint.

The battery life is great.

Browsing is fast on this device.

The screen is excellent, high res, large and beautiful.

The radio works well, getting a solid signal where my Sensation struggled.

Its the best phone ive ever owned and thats a few!

Upvote 0
I post on this forum very little, but am going to be on here very much when I get the Nexus. Getting to the point, the Nexus is going to be extremely powerful device. The phone drips luxury, goodness, and high-end technology that will be sufficient for a very long time. I understand how someone might think a 5mp camera is inferior to an 8mp one, though like Binary said, megapixels have absolutely nothing to do with camera quality. Having a decent camera on a phone is something that I want as well, but let's get real here. Every single day you will be using the phone, not the camera. I highly doubt you will be snapping 100+ pictures a day, and if you do, you need to purchase an actual camera. Let's not forget this is a phone and not a camera. The camera on the Galaxy Nexus will be more than sufficient for those times when you'd like to capture something.

P.S. I will not be responding to this thread again, so take this for what it's worth.

I couldn't disagree more.

luxury, goodness, and high-end technology?? Not even close.

It is 100% plastic phone. Aluminum, kevlar, composites are are luxury. There is nothing about this phone that is luxury. Nearly all reviews I have watched and read bag on this phone for feeling cheap and NOT using actual luxury materials.

high-end technology? please, the chip is already old news. Tegra 3 is high-end technology. The LTE radio chip they use is old, the one in the RAZR is high-end technology. The camera... well, I covered that. DDR3 memory in 2012, that is high-end technology. This phone is current mundane standard technology. Nothing new nor nothing advanced.

You can come and drop your 1 bomb and leave, that's fine. But this is a prime example of what concerns me with this phone is so much hype has got this reader thinking this phone is "luxury, goodness, and high-end technology".

Upvote 0
Look guys, all I am saying is that sometimes, the more and more I read around here and other forums on the web is people just regurgitating what they read. Jumping on the bandwagon and accepting what they are told as truth or as something they should believe in and put value into - mob & mass mentality. Putting out these vague comments and 1 liners and repeating stats or something else they read someone else say and buying into it without stopping to add it all up and ask what does it REALLY add up to? Very common these days and very common in this tech world.

The masses are believing this is the current holy grail phone. Why? Because some guys with big post numbers around here say so? Because the marketing machine is building the release of this phone into a fever pitch? Because the media and all tech forums and blogs are endlessly chatting on about it? Because the endless masses here just say "I want it", "take my money already", "PLEASE give me this phone"? Because many of us are at the end of our Droid's life and 2 year contract and so we just want?

But really, if you sit and think about it, for the end of 2011 and all the advancements we have made in phone technology, there is nothing unique about this phone to warrant this fervor. This is not like the Asus Prime tablet that is the first Tegra 3 chipped tablet that is reported to be the thinnest tablet yet - 2 big strides in technology that are impressive and indicators of steps forward and not standing still - it is current to marginal hardware with the latest OS many phones will have, and so people are simply banking on 1 real angle? Quicker releases of updates? That's it? That's all and that's worth the price of admission? I don't think so. Any of those updates you can get before they are ever release and before Samsung and Google ever release them via simple forums like XDA. So, that fact nearly negates all of the value some are putting on why this phone is so valuable.

BUT.. now imagine a Tegra 3 phone.. Sure, it is faster and zipper which is great as we want phones to move as fast as our thumbs can flip. But the real true value comes in the companion core and DIDIM as both work to reduce display power consumption and improve power management and multi tasking = potential 40% battery improvements they say. Things you USE EVERY DAY every second you use that phone. Then imagine, the newer LTE chip that the RAZR uses which is a lot smaller than the bulky one shoved into the Nexus causing it to gain more in bulk and thickness than the nice UK counterparts. Then imagine the value of DDR3 onboard memory versus DDR2. THESE are the ways of the future, these are in use, these are right around the corner for a phone, these WILL affect the everyday minute by minute use of your phone and the experience. But getting updates first is that big of a draw? Even though you can, 99% of the time, get them early on XDA or elsewhere?

Reactions: ad2435 and benne13
Upvote 0

It is 100% plastic phone. Aluminum, kevlar, composites are are luxury. There is nothing about this phone that is luxury. Nearly all reviews I have watched and read bag on this phone for feeling cheap and NOT using actual luxury materials.

high-end technology? please, the chip is already old news. Tegra 3 is high-end technology. The LTE radio chip they use is old, the one in the RAZR is high-end technology. The camera... well, I covered that. DDR3 memory in 2012, that is high-end technology. This phone is current mundane standard technology. Nothing new nor nothing advanced.

You can come and drop your 1 bomb and leave, that's fine. But this is a prime example of what concerns me with this phone is so much hype has got this reader thinking this phone is "luxury, goodness, and high-end technology".

Says the person using an OG Droid that has been antiquated for quite some time now.

Upvote 0

Why not mention HD SAMOLED screen that no other phone has yet? It seems to get rave reviews. It's got clarity like Rezound and color, contrast of Razr, best of both. LTE radio chip is older than the one in Razr? Any source or proof? AC just reported Nexus has excellent signal reception. Where is other phone using OMAP 4460? Sure, Tegra3 and DD3 are coming, but they are not here yet. Even Tegra3 will be soon outclassed by quad core Exynos in SGSIII.

Looks like you made up your mind against it even before trying it out. Then there is no point of posting here.

Reactions: jroc and steevo1
Upvote 0

I understand where you're coming from. But this isn't worth getting emotional about. Every phone is going to have trade-offs and there's always going to be bigger/better phones coming around the corner. If you continue to wait for them, then you're going to die with your first smart phone, lol.

If you're smart, then you'll upgrade now (to whatever $600+ phone you want) and enjoy the massive upgrade from your OG Droid. Then, when the Quad cores come around next year (I wouldn't expect them until Spring at the earliest), you can sell your current phone toward one of those for a relatively small upgrade fee (the difference between what you make selling your current phone and the price of the new phone). When the next big thing comes out, repeat the process. I know a lot of people that do this. I'm not one of them though because I'm not much of a spec-whore and am more concerned with functionality than an app opening up 37ms faster. In that respect, I think any phone out this month will be fine for the next 20 months.

Also, Google isn't a phone manufacturer. They aren't responsible whatsoever about when Verizon launches the phone or what specs are released prior to its launch. The carrier has 100% control over that since it's going to be on their network and they're the ones subsidizing it. So whatever rant you're making about that should not be directed at Google.

See my original post pertaining to getting updates through unofficial means (i.e. XDA or other Devs).

Upvote 0
I advise everyone to take a deep breath and think before they post, as in the time it's taken me to read this thread people have begun to stray into the realms of personal attacks.

Disagreement is fine, if it's done politely. It's to be expected in topics that invite opinion. However attacking those offering differing opinions is definitely not fine, and won't be tolerated.

Upvote 0
I had been with Verizon for almost 5 years. This little pissing contest of bloat vs non, Razr vs GNex, really just pushed me. I like Samsung and Google as a brand more than I like Verizon.

I went to AT&T and snagged an SGSII this morning. Couldn't wait any longer. I haven't looked back. This thing is super sexy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones