• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else changing their mind about buying?

Its all down to personal taste. Thats the beauty of Android, choice.

I can recommend the Nexus all I like, at the end I dont care what people buy.

It seems there is a decent draw back to each phone so you just have to decide which draw back is a deal breaker, which isn't, and go with that phone.

i.e. Rezound was originally appealing because I'm a bit of an audiophile.. only to find out Beats Audio is not Soundcard Hardware/Software that enhances overall quality, but actually just an EQ player that adjusts bass/settings. I didn't realize it until the audiophiles/professionals did extensive testing in October on the Sensation XE Beats Audio.

You can get a $5 app (PowerAmp) that does the same thing and put it on any phone. So really where is there any appeal here to pay extra for "Beats Audio"? Sure you get the expensive ear buds (overpriced Monster), but I already have Klipsch S4s which are already top of the line ear buds with deep bass.

If we take a step back from all these charts and consider the fundamental value of what Beats Audio achieves, then we have to come down squarely on the side of the skeptics. No matter how much effort we put into testing this thing, the fact remains that these 'sound profiles' are just EQ settings. You can achieve exactly the same effect using PowerAMP, which costs $5 and allows you create your own EQs. PowerAMP can tailor and save your EQs to suit current headphones and even to the track you're listening to, in order to get the sound just right. The app can also apply the EQ to lossless music, which cannot be played by the XE's stock player and therefore cannot be listened to with Beats Audio enabled. Listening to the Black Eyed Peas in Apple Lossless format, with our own PowerAMP EQ and the YourBeats headphones, provided a great experience -- and it was achieved while Beats Audio was switched off and irrelevant.

The Beats Audio software isn't complete marketing vapor, but it's still inherently gimmicky and adds nothing in the XE's favor: you could achieve a better result on the original Sensation simply by downloading a third-party music player that lets you play with the EQ settings yourself.

Fantastic analysis if you are wondering what Beats Audio really is.

HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio review -- Engadget

I'm on T-Mobile now and I was giving serious thought to switching to Verizon, but now I think I'll just wait till T-Mobile gets the Nexus or maybe buy one from Canada.

Says the person using an OG Droid that has been antiquated for quite some time now.

But I didn't make the claim my OG Droid was the shizz now did I?

As well, my 2 years was just up, so I am ready to buy.

Wow - truly HORRIBLE analogy and using a comment I did not originally make.

Wow. Ok. Getting back on the original topic and question posted by this thread, no, i haven't changed my mind. The nexus is a top of the line, high end device RIGHT NOW. Some people find all plastic to feel cheap but I've read multiple places that the metal frame makes the nexus feel rigid. I have a DX with an 8MP camera. It's garbage. Best example i can give on the camera debate. Way too much noise in the photos and the sensor is horrible in even moderately low lighting.

I'll still be buying this device when there are phones with better hardware AND have ICS available on Verizon. I want updates and i don't want a manufacturer skin. I don't want a locked bootloader. If a better phone with those features comes to Verizon before i upgrade, I'll probably get it. But i don't see that happening.

It's been said to death but it's all personal preference. My friend wants a fast car that looks sporty. I want a roomy car with good gas mileage. Does that make one better than the other?

Edit: not saying the nexus IS at the top of line in specs, but it's right there with anything else out NOW.

Thanks.. a cogent comment that does not sway from the topic and gets back on track.

So, I do agree, so much comes to personal preference. But really, in the end, I think I decided to slow down, see through all of the hype and pandemonium of this release - kind of like the failed Bionic and weak Thunderbolt - and really ask.. what does this phone REALLY bring to the table now that I am off contract and can upgrade? And in the end, when I really investigate it, I just don't think it is all that people are hoping, praying, expecting, believing or acting like it is. As I said, in the end, it is just average phone hardware with a new OS and I wondered if anyone else, as time went on and they really researched it, they started to come to the same conclusion I was after getting past the hype and desire to just get a new phone.

But it seems not and it seems people get really pizzy when your willing to dissent against the popular vote and present pretty solid reasons for changing your mind and being open about the fact it just may not be all that.

I don't know about YOU folks, but:

I have an OG Droid that - after 2 years - has done her time but she is desperately ready to retire. And there are some good replacements out there. In my opinion, though, Nexus just beats them out... for ME.

Will I wait? Sure. Will it have "issues"? I fully expect it to. And I'm STILL gonna get it.

But you see, I also have the luxury of 2 more upgrades available on my family plan, so I can upgrade AGAIN and pass Nexus down at my leisure as newer phones come out.

If you PERSONALLY think you can afford to wait until CES 2012 in January and see what the summer phones will bring, do that. If you can pay full retail for Nexus and save your upgrade, do that. I can't afford to wait that long with this Droid.

This all comes down to a matter of personal need, situation and preference. No amount of debate can change one person's circumstances into another. If you desire the Nexus, enjoy the wait with me.

If not, there are plenty of phones now and in the future for you.

My 0.02 :)

I'll still be buying this device when there are phones with better hardware AND have ICS available on Verizon. I want updates and i don't want a manufacturer skin. I don't want a locked bootloader. If a better phone with those features comes to Verizon before i upgrade, I'll probably get it. But i don't see that happening.

It's been said to death but it's all personal preference. My friend wants a fast car that looks sporty. I want a roomy car with good gas mileage. Does that make one better than the other?

Edit: not saying the nexus IS at the top of line in specs, but it's right there with anything else out NOW.

It managed to earn top browser benchmark scores even edging out iPhone4S in recent anandtech testing. Antutu and CL-bench are neck and neck with SGS2 only, but better than others. Pretty darn good for phone not top of the line if you ask me:)

Specs are no different. Delay makes no difference. So now.. hasn't changed my mind of waiting until the GNex comes out, evaluating my options, and upgrading.

I'm off the nexus boat. I think it was this forum more than Verizon not announcing. The constant back and forth with release dates just did me in. Plus, i'm not entirely impressed with the device. Mainly the 4.65" screen (for the time being) is a psuedo-4.65 screen.

I just bought the rezound battery for my TB. I already get decent battery with my stock TB so if this gives me a couple more hours of standby...awesome.

I'll wait for the next gen tech next year.

I'm very strongly considering a switch to AT&T to get a Galaxy S2. The fact that the S2 benchmarks as high as the Nexus while running an older version of Android is pretty impressive. There really is no better Android chipset than the Exynos and the S2 is arguably the best Android phone in the world. The ATT version is almost identical to the international version, and there are already devs working on ICS and MIUI ports for it, so there probably isn't a phone that will get ICS faster other than the Nexus phones.

With that said, even though the S2 has a gorgeous screen, it does have an 800x480 resolution that will start to look pretty long in the tooth compared to 720p screens that are starting to come out. I think I'll be able to live with it though.

The thing that's really pushing me very close to making the switch is that right now Amazon has the S2 for 1 penny for new signups! I'd probably also save a little on my plan vs. what I'm paying with Verizon.

The Nexus looks like a nice phone, but the delays and potential for bugs, along with the fact that it's not a huge step spec-wise is making me look at other options and I don't think there's a better phone than the GS2 on the market. I'm also not a fan of the on-screen navigation keys and prefer the capacitive buttons on the buttom. They seem less intrusive. Just my 2 cents (incidentally what I'd be paying for a GS2 for me and my wife!)

It managed to earn top browser benchmark scores even edging out iPhone4S in recent anandtech testing. Antutu and CL-bench are neck and neck with SGS2 only, but better than others. Pretty darn good for phone not top of the line if you ask me:)

Benchmarks are hard to go by. I didn't say it was at the top of the line because i view phones in "tiers". I think the GN is in this top tier, with phones like the RAZR, rezound, sgs2, etc. To say that it's not isn't appreciating the technology put into it.

I have all but talked myself out of a GNex. When it was announced I was sooooooo stoked, but as the days pass I become less and less interested. What really tipped the scales was the fly by change from 32 to 16 GB internal storage. If that is true I think I may just wait till the next round of phones to come out as the Rezound and Razr don't do much for me.

Other phones will likely get ICS in 4 to 6 months, not 4 to 6 weeks. It took Gingerbread at least 6 months before it started coming on top of the line phones. ICS is even a more dramatic change and will take a while before manufacturers adapt it for the phones.

While you have to deal with a hardware delay with the Galaxy Nexus, you don't have to worry about software delays ever again.

What really tipped the scales was the fly by change from 32 to 16 GB internal storage. If that is true I think I may just wait till the next round of phones to come out as the Rezound and Razr don't do much for me.

There is no reasonable reason to believe that's the case, and every reason to believe it's not, so take a deep breath, evaluate the phone when it comes out, and if you like it, buy it - if not, hey, there's always something great around the corner.

bwa ha ha... "other manufacturers", as if Google is any different? Look at this debauchery on the release? Is it Nov 8,11,17,21,25 or December? Is it 16gb or 32? Is it the same thickness as all the other killer photos and their marketing pieces show, no it is much fatter but that is kicked under the rug in small fine print.

Man, your giving them way more credit than they deserve. Google IS one of those "Other phone manufacturers" your just drinking the kool aid. Lots of speculation on your part, and the masses part, about how all of those things you point out will really work. Hell, need I remind you of the joke of a fiasco the first directly sold from Google Nexus was.. a flop, a marketing and customer service nightmare and they stopped selling them that way. It is okay to question, criticize and rethink decisions before just blindly pushing forward because the forums and media have us all clamoring for something that in the end, when you really think about it, is not even cutting edge in any way.

Last I remember, Google is not a manufacturer. The reason for the delay you are talking about is not Google's fault, it's Verizon's. Am I drinking the Kool Aid? No. I just expect google to push updates faster than Moto and HTC.

I still believe I'm going to buy this phone . I'm loving my Rezound , it really is an amazing phone, best phone camera I've used and the screen is gorgeous but Sense just is not for me . I really want Vanilla ICS (I know the Rezound will get this as well) also I want the bigger screen . There is definetly some draw backs to the Gnex but nothing major

yes I've reconsidered, and will most likely be skipping the Galaxy Nexus. The Razr should keep me happy until some new devices hit in Feb/Mar 2012

every story out of Verizon "insiders" is 32gb. People here and other forums are the ones that started this rumor that Verizon is getting the 16gb. Like most speculated release dates, there is no evidence to back it up. What we know for sure is that Verizon said they are releasing it later this year. They decide when that is. Nobody is forcing people to wait for this phone and Verizon can't delay that which has no date.

If you like a phone that's out right now, then get it. If not, then wait for something better. But personally, this is a phone worth waiting for.

Benchmarks are hard to go by. I didn't say it was at the top of the line because i view phones in "tiers". I think the GN is in this top tier, with phones like the RAZR, rezound, sgs2, etc. To say that it's not isn't appreciating the technology put into it.

I didn't mean to refute what you said literally. Just a little sarcastic my response to some folks thinking Nexus is not top of the line phone. It is clearly top of the line phone now, though not as ground breaking as quad core phones next year.

Honestly, after reading this entire thread- you guys should truly consider sitting down and cooling off a bit. This is the internet- lets not start getting flustered emotions and getting angry at words posted on your computer screen. Besides if you.don't want it, then dont get it- who gives a shit? Were all entitled to our own opinions..

every story out of Verizon "insiders" is 32gb. People here and other forums are the ones that started this rumor that Verizon is getting the 16gb. Like most speculated release dates, there is no evidence to back it up.

What I see is this..... Galaxy Nexus

When this was updated to show the LTE specs (for Verizon) it was changed to 16 GB only. Yes, I am hoping it is a mistake, but it has now been listed that way since last week, so looking more and more like it is true.

EDIT.....They just changed the specs back to 32 Yipee!! Looking better now.

I am probably staying with the Nexus not for ICS, but yes because of the Nexus name. Easily unlockable bootloader and pure google. Just like the A855 when it came out, in fact, the A855's bootloader was already unlocked, per se.

Irrational arguments aside, I think this is a very interesting question. I have been eagerly awaiting the Nexus as a replacement for my OG Droid, but delays have been frustrating, and now supposed issues are making me a bit concerned about using my one upgrade and locking into a 2 year commitment. The main concern with my Droid is lack of RAM, and no 4G, so I am thinking about maybe just buying a used Charge, or something like that, for $200 or so, and waiting until Spring/Summer to see how the Nexus behaves, or what else comes out in the meantime.

Look guys, all I am saying is that sometimes, the more and more I read around here and other forums on the web is people just regurgitating what they read. Jumping on the bandwagon and accepting what they are told as truth or as something they should believe in and put value into - mob & mass mentality. Putting out these vague comments and 1 liners and repeating stats or something else they read someone else say and buying into it without stopping to add it all up and ask what does it REALLY add up to? Very common these days and very common in this tech world.

The masses are believing this is the current holy grail phone. Why? Because some guys with big post numbers around here say so? Because the marketing machine is building the release of this phone into a fever pitch? Because the media and all tech forums and blogs are endlessly chatting on about it? Because the endless masses here just say "I want it", "take my money already", "PLEASE give me this phone"? Because many of us are at the end of our Droid's life and 2 year contract and so we just want?

Couldn't agree more, I think Lock-N-Load makes some good points. Obviously not points that everyone likes or agrees with, but good things to consider. To answer the original question about changing my mind on buying... I'm certainly on the fence at this point. My concern is mainly with the size though, so I'm waiting until I can take a look at it in stores to see if I can handle it or not. Also just going to wait after it's widely released to see how it fares with the general public (bugs, pros, cons, etc...)

Back
Top Bottom