• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else changing their mind about buying?

Here's my question, if you can root pretty much any device to make it "like" Google experience. Then what exactly is the "real" advantage other than getting faster updates?

A true Google experience device will not have an encrypted bootloader, therefore we will be able to install pure custom recovery(s) and custom overclocking kernels.

Here's my question, if you can root pretty much any device to make it "like" Google experience. Then what exactly is the "real" advantage other than getting faster updates?

Mostly that it's not natively supported, which means that it's not going to be quite as stable and/or functional as the Nexus device that the software is tailored to run on. I'll bet some people will dispute me on this, but I'm just speaking from my experience from ROMing on my OG Droid. Though I was getting 2.2 and 2.3 within a couple weeks of the Nexus One/S, it was always less stable/functional than the stock ROM that was officially pushed by Moto, no matter how much I OC'd or what memory tweaks I tried or what kernels I used. There was always something small that was broken too (like the camera for me - since I've rooted it basically, the camera is almost unusable due to lock ups and audio not syncing with video).

So with a Nexus device and it being natively supported by Google/Samsung themselves, you get a bit better QA than any dev community can provide and you don't have to be constantly chasing bug fixes. Everything just works as it should.

I think I'm keeping my OG droid incredible until I see a quad core phone. I was excited about the nexus, but they totally botched the US release and I don't even want the phone now. Screw Verizon. They suck and they don't deserve to handle high quality devices.

actually horsepower isnt the big deal for most cars, torque also plays a huge difference in launching (if your drag racing that is)

horsepower is great, but you need torque to help make that horsepower every bit of power that it is.

im not a car enthusiast by any means, but i have seen some high horsepower cars get beat by lower, all because of torque, and mainly the driver, but thats a discussion for another forum :p

That's sort of what I was driving at (no pun intended). I was basically playing off the same way people approach these synthetic benchmarks, like it means everything, when it does not.

Mostly that it's not natively supported, which means that it's not going to be quite as stable and/or functional as the Nexus device that the software is tailored to run on. I'll bet some people will dispute me on this, but I'm just speaking from my experience from ROMing on my OG Droid. Though I was getting 2.2 and 2.3 within a couple weeks of the Nexus One/S, it was always less stable/functional than the stock ROM that was officially pushed by Moto, no matter how much I OC'd or what memory tweaks I tried or what kernels I used. There was always something small that was broken too (like the camera for me - since I've rooted it basically, the camera is almost unusable due to lock ups and audio not syncing with video).

So with a Nexus device and it being natively supported by Google/Samsung themselves, you get a bit better QA than any dev community can provide and you don't have to be constantly chasing bug fixes. Everything just works as it should.
I can see your point and I can agree with you, but, also depends on the phone. Even though the Droid had 2.3 OC to 1GHZ, it ran nowhear near as smooth as my Dinc did with Sense on top. However, the Dinc did have more Ram as so did the latter of Moto phones after the Droid. Phones nowadays have crazy power that im sure with the right modding it can run smooth or close to an OEM Nexus. My Dinc rooted ran a lot better than it did in stock form because it had the power and ram to handle the new changes to the OS.

I think I'm keeping my OG droid incredible until I see a quad core phone. I was excited about the nexus, but they totally botched the US release and I don't even want the phone now. Screw Verizon. They suck and they don't deserve to handle high quality devices.
From everything coming out, looks like they did it for a reason. I remember the Dinc was hold back aswell for battery issues and VOILA! it became a great phone with HORRIBLE battery. I respect their support, after coming from a BB, im glad they are doing this. My Dinc ran GREAT and so did my Wife's old ERIS. The Thunderbolt and Bionic IMO should have never been released, Verizon was delaying them for a reason.

That's sort of what I was driving at (no pun intended). I was basically playing off the same way people approach these synthetic benchmarks, like it means everything, when it does not.

gotcha :) and yes i know, everyone should know benchmarks are not 100% accurate, they can be close, but are in no way shape or form 100% accurate

The Razr has a brighter more colorful screen, the Rezounds is finer detail but I don't know..just not 'there'. Hard to describe it.

In all honesty...none of these screen are 'there' yet. Its all about what you like the most. I like the sharpness of the Rezound...but at the same time I see why so many ppl like Amoled screens. I didnt know what I was missing until I got the RAZR. I was a die hard LCD fan last year...now I couldnt tell you which screen I prefer. All I know is Pentile isnt as bad as some ppl make it. On the RAZR anyway.

I like my RAZR screen, but I can see the imperfections in it.

One simple and obvious difference is that the phone is designed by Google to show off what the latest Android is capable of. What this means is it has all the hardware to allow the phone to utilize the functions on ICS.

Also, everyone seems to neglect how the phone is designed ergonomically. This is one of the most important factor to make it sit nicely in the hand despite its huge (relatively speaking) form factor.

Phonedog just did their unboxing of the Galaxy Nexus. Aaron mentions that it was lagging. I have heard this somewhere else also. He has tweeted his battery life and it does not look so hot either.

I thought the GPU acceleration was going to improve the smoothness.

Heck, I test drove the Razr and had NO noticeable, lag. So yes, my enthusiasm is not what it once was.

The GNex is the fastest phone right now, simple as that. Test prove this. Combine that with instant updates straight from google (OG Droid users, remember how long it took to update to 2.2??!) You can always wait another 2 months for something better to come out, thats both the great thing and worst part about technology.

The bottom line is, you CANNOT beat this phone for awhile. Yes, some other phones are slimmer, have a bigger camera, etc. but the GNex is specifically designed to run android 4.0 flawlessly. On top of that, it has one of the nicest and biggest screens on the market at 4.65" of awesome. I dont care if my phone is plastic. I thought the OG Droid had a great build quality and felt amazing, but we all experienced how crappy it ended up being. As long as it kicks my (2nd) dead Droid out of my pocket, I will be one happy guy.

I'm on the fence on this. I was sure I was getting it but now, I'm thinking twice about it. For a phone to come out this late, I expected it to run circles around all other phones, but it's just a slightly beefed up SGII. I'm gonna wait and see what other people are saying and what else is coming out, before deciding.

The more I read, the more confused I get. I was completely sold on the gnex, but now I'm not sure. Maybe someone can help me decide. I want a phone with the following:

1. Bright, beautiful, big screen
2. Excellent camera, meaning quick to focus and shoot sharp, clear photos. Don't care about 8 vs 5 megapixels as long as camera is responsive and photos are good.
3. Best possible reception. I have a weekend house in WV and verizon doesn't have any service, however my daughters dumb phone can make calls and texts on the extended network coverage. None of my android phones work, except on wifi that is.
4. Working GPS

4g is non-issue since its not available where I live or work in VA, and certainly is not available in WV.

Don't care about custom roms, using phone for music.

Loved the idea of no bloat, pure android experience (gnex) but want best phone reception (razr?), and best camera (rezound?)

I've had positive experience with HTC (had an eris, inc and inc 2) and mixed with moto (liked my X, but hated droid 2 and 3)

Should I wait to get a 4g phone until there is 4g in my area, and just keep my inc2 for now.... But I really want a new phone with a bigger screen, or should I just get an iPhone 4s for screen and camera quality, suffer with the tiny screen and wait for 4g to come to my area?

As much as I love android, I will not be buying one ever again. It's time for me to move to iPhone sorry to say it. The galaxy nexus is great,but phones should not be released with problems, which is why I will get the iPhone 5 next year. Iphones are always fixed with a timely fashion if they do have problems, androids are sometimes never fixed at all, I have learned this with my HTC thunderbolt

As much as I love android, I will not be buying one ever again. It's time for me to move to iPhone sorry to say it. The galaxy nexus is great,but phones should not be released with problems, which is why I will get the iPhone 5 next year. Iphones are always fixed with a timely fashion if they do have problems, androids are sometimes never fixed at all, I have learned this with my HTC thunderbolt

We all know that the iphone has been released with problems. The Iphone 4 had the antenna issue and the iphone 4s had the battery issue, and yes they released a timely update. Yes, the GNex had a volume issue but the phone is actually not even out in the US yet and google has identified the software issue and will be releasing a fix.

That said, I don't blame you for going with the iphone. Sometimes I wonder why I stick with android and if I'm just being a stubborn fanboy. Even if you do decide to get the GNex, therefore getting a bloatware free phone and more direct support and updates from google, the android market will always be fragmented, there's no getting around that. I'm going to stick with android for now and may reconsider when the iphone 5 comes out. It just needs to have a bigger screen and LTE for me to seriously consider it.

The more I read, the more confused I get. I was completely sold on the gnex, but now I'm not sure. Maybe someone can help me decide.

Just get the GNex and call it a day. You won't be disappointed. Personally, when it comes to android, I would never recommend anything but a nexus phone to anyone, especially if you aren't into rooting and whatnot.

Phonedog just did their unboxing of the Galaxy Nexus. Aaron mentions that it was lagging. I have heard this somewhere else also. He has tweeted his battery life and it does not look so hot either.
In that unboxing, the guy had a live wallpaper running. That may have played a part. Battery life will not be that great on any LTE phone.

Verizon does these types of things all the time. Remember when the AT&T galaxy s was released in July, and verizon was the last to release their galaxy s version a few months later? The reason why they did that was to not overlap with the droid x, and give the droid x it's moment to shine (and sell) before releasing the samsung fascinate galaxy s.

The same thing is happening now. Verizon doesn't want to release two top of the line, competing phones at the same time. They're giving the Droid RAZR some time to sell, and then they will release the GNex.

I thought the GPU acceleration was going to improve the smoothness.

Heck, I test drove the Razr and had NO noticeable, lag. So yes, my enthusiasm is not what it once was.

He had live wall paper running and also did pinch to zoom on browser before downloading phonedog site is completed. He typically does that. That's when he noticed slight lag and complained on it. To me it's doesn't look any worse than Razr, Rezound and a little faster actually. Once downloading was completed, it was very smooth.

Someone mentioned it looks like slightly beefed up SGSII hardware wise. That is probably true and it says a lot to me when SGSII is still the top performer in android. Also it's supposed to get first ICS update, fix every time Google rolls it out.

As someone who had the iPhone for three years before switching a few months ago, there's NO way I go back to 3.5 inch screen, non LTE 3G only and no flash. Yes, I know, adobe is doing away with mobile flash after ICS release but until all websites are HTML5 compliant, I want to enjoy the full web experience for now.

My wanting the G Nex is to get a complete and pure android experience just the way Google designed it. I don't root or ROM. I didn't jailbreak my iPhone either. Lets be clear that with over 200 million android phones activated, the vast majority do not want, care to, or know how to root, ROM and all those like things. That's mostly geek stuff. They just want a normal but great smartphone experience.

As someone who had the iPhone for three years before switching a few months ago, there's NO way I go back to 3.5 inch screen, non LTE 3G only and no flash. Yes, I know, adobe is doing away with mobile flash after ICS release but until all websites are HTML5 compliant, I want to enjoy the full web experience for now.

My wanting the G Nex is to get a complete and pure android experience just the way Google designed it. I don't root or ROM. I didn't jailbreak my iPhone either. Lets be clear that with over 200 million android phones activated, the vast majority do not want, care to, or know how to root, ROM and all those like things. That's mostly geek stuff. They just want a normal but great smartphone experience.

If the iPhone 5 has lte and a 4 in screen( which it most likely will) I will be leaving android , its the only reason why I don't have an iPhone

I was waiting for the real Google phone...and bailed. Money was the reason, and a realistic view of what I can expect to get out of a phone. I have been living with a HTC Eris since Feb 2010...<shrug>...and it works. Not great by any means...but given that...anything I get will be far, far better that the old Eris.

Being able to pick up a Rezound for $50 (Costco deal) and a spare extended battery for $30 (Verizon sale), left me with no choice. I doubt the Nexus will see anything approaching that level of 'discount'. Maybe because it's that good...but more likely because by the time it comes out, the market pressure will have slacked and prices will stabilize again.

Only read the first page of this thread but I gotta say, this thread of so full of lulz. If you don't think the phone is for you, then cool, don't get it. We really don't care if you don't want it and you should be happy with what you got! You don't have to start bashing it in arguments with those of us who do want the phone, though.

Or does posting things like this make you feel like a big boy on the internet?

HTC Ville leaked today with 1.5ghz S4 snapdragon seems to be significant step up from current phones hardware wise. S4 chip will bring both graphic power and battery life boost with 28nm SoC LTE. If HTC doesn't mess up with ICS, Sense integration, it would be very appealing to me. I guess Samsung will use both quad exynos and s4 snapdragon in SGS3 line of phones. I wonder what would be Moto's choice on processor in first half of next year. OMAP5 won't come in phones until Q3 and 1.2ghz OMAP4430 seems to be their main horse now.

HTC Ville leaked today with 1.5ghz S4 snapdragon seems to be significant step up from current phones hardware wise. S4 chip will bring both graphic power and battery life boost with 28nm SoC LTE. If HTC doesn't mess up with ICS, Sense integration, it would be very appealing to me. I guess Samsung will use both quad exynos and s4 snapdragon in SGS3 line of phones. I wonder what would be Moto's choice on processor in first half of next year. OMAP5 won't come in phones until Q3 and 1.2ghz OMAP4430 seems to be their main horse now.

Locked bootloader? Forget that. I used to be an HTC fan.

Back
Top Bottom