• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else..

Never worked at one, as a ute I attended many. We had three here a long time ago then we went without one/any till they finally built another one. Have not been there, supposed to have the recliner seats and super sound and all !

I served as an usher for large venue events while in high school. It was back in the day where even rock concerts had assigned seating. The pay didn't amount to anything but free concerts worked for me. It wasn't a theater job but quite similar. Ignorant vest, flashlight, and all. :)

my sister worked for AMC when she was in highschool. i remember her always coming home after work smelling like popcorn. i always craved popcorn when she came home....lol
My oldest daughter worked at a local pizza place while in high school. Same sort of deal. Nightly she came home smelling like pizza. Not that we were hungry at that time of night, but instantly you wanted a couple of slices. :)

When the theatres started shutting down, years ago, my buddy bought up a bunch of the amplifiers that were commonly used.

Turns out that Peavey modeled a whole series of amplifiers off one specific model that was robust and powerful.

Typically, a theater would use them in a configuration which makes them only put out 240 or 400 watts each side in stereo, or 400-800 watts mono (like for sub-woofers).

But, hook it up in 4 ohm configuration in mono- and this beast puts out 1200 watts RMS.

So then we had to build speakers that could deal with that.

He runs one amp per speaker, and each speaker can handle 1400 watts RMS.

The cool thing is that we custom combined all the components- speakers, crossovers, cabinets- so you can't just order or go buy these speakers.
Even the manufacturer of the parts does not make a complete speaker using all these pieces.

Last edited:
When the theatres started shutting down, years ago, my buddy bought up a bunch of the amplifiers that were commonly used.

Turns out that Peavey modeled a whole series of amplifiers off one specific model that was robust and powerful.

Typically, a theater would use them in a configuration which makes them only put out 240 or 400 watts each side in stereo, or 400-800 watts mono (like for sub-woofers).

But, hook it up in 4 ohm configuration in mono- and this beast puts out 1200 watts RMS.

So then we had to build speakers that could deal with that.

He runs one amp per speaker, and each speaker can handle 1400 watts RMS.

The cool thing is that we custom combined all the components- speakers, crossovers, cabinets- so you can't just order or go buy these speakers.
Even the manufacturer of the parts does not make a complete speaker using all these pieces.
that sounds awfully loud.....LOL

that sounds awfully loud.....LOL

Exactly.
You know how when you go to a bar where a band is playing, and the sound is blocked by people standing in front of the speakers?

We laugh, because as we fire it up, and the volume is brought up when the show starts, there are people moving out from in front of the cabinets.

Like Moses parting the sea.

The speakers we installed actually warn of 'intestinal disturbance'.
That means that they can make you.. well, ever see the 'brown note' episode of South Park?

I have a home theater system using Studio Grade speakers, my rears are KEF Lucas Film THX certified, the fronts and middle are Monitors, (made in England), all have lifetime full guarantees on them, and the xtraloud machine can really rock it ! (yes, those are two Pioneer Elite Series 300 watt powered subwoofers)

I got pics of the rears somewhere just gotta find um.

tv (2).jpg

Last edited:
"Young Frankenstein" had a completely different audience. Mel Brooks is a frickin' genius at comedy and story telling.

There was a feeling of community in the Boston theater scene. Movie folks knew the stage show staff and vice-versa. I think it was the hotdog stand that tied us together. Cheapest meal in town.

I am old enough to remember when theaters were something special, and when you went, the audience felt like they had all shared an experience together.

Star Wars, for instance.
The crowd stood, cheered, and clapped at the end.

Watership Down had a huge reation as well.

Movies were better, people behaved better, and the experience was worth the cost.

Now we pay more- so that some inconsiderates can yell into their phones and at each other, throw Milk Duds and other assorted candy at people, bring tons of food from outside, make a huge mess to leave for staff to clean up (who will do a half-assed job at best)- all while trying to watch some second (or third) rate rehash of a movie that once was good, or if it is new then it is some superhero trash that will be forgotten in 6 months when yet another one of the same comes out.

Really, I cannot think of a worse place to try to watch a movie, than a movie theatre.

As a ute staying at grandma's, I would be allowed to walk downtown,(dirt roads until you got to downtown where the streets were paved), and go to the movie theater.

Admittance price back then was 25 cents !

Unless a cat finds an advantageous benefit to your game, it won't play.

I am old enough to remember when theaters were something special, and when you went, the audience felt like they had all shared an experience together.

Star Wars, for instance.
The crowd stood, cheered, and clapped at the end.

Watership Down had a huge reation as well.

Movies were better, people behaved better, and the experience was worth the cost.

Now we pay more- so that some inconsiderates can yell into their phones and at each other, throw Milk Duds and other assorted candy at people, bring tons of food from outside, make a huge mess to leave for staff to clean up (who will do a half-assed job at best)- all while trying to watch some second (or third) rate rehash of a movie that once was good, or if it is new then it is some superhero trash that will be forgotten in 6 months when yet another one of the same comes out.

Really, I cannot think of a worse place to try to watch a movie, than a movie theatre.

Services usually got better after the 4th screening. I can't remember anyone cleaning a floor though?

One of the 3 we had turned into a XXX theater, I had a buddy who ran the projection camera there, he said that the floors were not the only thing needing cleaning after a showing ....

Back
Top Bottom