• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help AppSheet (new add-on for Google Sheets) - type in google username/password from within the app

electricpete

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2012
There are several new add-in apps that tie into google docs and sheets as discussed here.

The one I'm interested in is AppSheet, which I think might give a better interface for inputting spreadsheet data into google sheets.

When I try to use the app, it asks me to authorize access to my Google sheets by inputting my google name and password. The password screens LOOK like they come from google, but this smells fishy to me. Launching an app and entering username and password from within the app seems just like following an email link and entering a username/password....it's to easy for the email sender or app developer) to spoof the legitimate login screen and read my username / password.

I realize the app needs (limited) access to my google account, but there's got to be a better way than putting my google username/password at risk.

What do you think:
  • Is this the standard approach for all of the new add-in apps?
  • Is there any way to authorize limited account access without entering google username/password FROM WITHIN THE APP?
  • ...if not, thouldn't there be?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160729-131236.png
    Screenshot_20160729-131236.png
    352.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20160729-131227.png
    Screenshot_20160729-131227.png
    395.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones