• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ask me anything about the Motorola DROID MAXX!

hi here! i just grabbed a maxx and its running on t mobile. the weird thing is that it always sends and receives calls, but when i turn the phone on i can only text for about five minutes then i start getting "message not sent" immediately. ive messed with the apn a little but why would it work and stop under the same settings? ive even run the diagnostic and erase the cache. same issues. any help would be greatly appreciated because i loove this phone. ~thanks

hi here! i just grabbed a maxx and its running on t mobile. the weird thing is that it always sends and receives calls, but when i turn the phone on i can only text for about five minutes then i start getting "message not sent" immediately. ive messed with the apn a little but why would it work and stop under the same settings? ive even run the diagnostic and erase the cache. same issues. any help would be greatly appreciated because i loove this phone. ~thanks

Yes, this is a known issue with the Maxx on T-Mobile but only when you're connected to LTE data. If you connect to HSPA or HSPA+ it supposedly works fine.

See DROID MAXX working perfectly on T-Mobile | Motorola Droid Ultra | XDA Forums (ignore the title) for a lot more info about this.

It's my guess that using the app LTE On/Off for Thunderbolt should allow you to set the phone so that LTE is off, but I'm not sure which setting you would use - it might be "GSM auto (PRL)". Just be aware that the Maxx resets that setting each time it restarts, so you have to make that change each time.

Good luck, I hope that it works out for you. The Maxx is a great phone.

thanks so much for the quick response!

so ive tried lte on/of and havent had much luck. ive chosen every option with gsm available but the data logo in the status bar disappears and comes back 4Glte. if i close the app and return to it the selection has be switched back to its original (LTE CDMA..) hope im not an idiot but i dont see any save button so... And it doesn't send messages with data off..

i did check out the link it was similar to what you told me but im having a problem getting it to move from LTE to HSPA or HSPA+

if i remember correctly, after my first few restarts (post cache wiping) i was getting a data symbol of (an H wih arrows or a + next to it) and i was able to send/recieve sms mms. really wish i knew how to get it and make it stay
now when i restart or cache wipe i just get 4Glte right away. running 4.4.4 unrooted btw if it matters

I can recieve messages hit and miss on the LTE but cant text back, so i dunno im bummin over here. i know you got a life so thanks for any more info or suggestions

Got It! just took a while to find the proper configuration between the mobile network settings and "phone info" settings. thanks again!

Did my Gmail app disappear from the list of apps in Settings? I am looking for it turns terminate it since I have messages stuck in my Outbox.

Did my Gmail app disappear from the list of apps in Settings? I am looking for it turns terminate it since I have messages stuck in my Outbox.

Find the Gmail app in the app drawer, and tap and drag it like you wanted to place it on a home screen. You'll see a drag target at the top that says "App info". That brings you to the same place that settings / apps / gmail would.

Having issues with standard text app crashing. Constantly freezes home screen and glitch appears. I know nothing about technology. Have used a straight talk phone/service up until this point. I switched my default message app to "hangouts", and "messaging failed" alert still appears. Its a brand new freaking phone, and I just got a two year contract with Verizon. I just installed the system update today while on WiFi to try and solve the issue. Didn't work. All my contacts are on standard text app, and now I have no contacts on the hangouts app. How do import those contacts to the hangouts app? Funny how I told the Verizon rep I mainly use the phone for texting and he recommended this phone...

signed,
Very frustrated new Verizon/Droid customer.

Having issues with standard text app crashing. Constantly freezes home screen and glitch appears. I know nothing about technology. Have used a straight talk phone/service up until this point. I switched my default message app to "hangouts", and "messaging failed" alert still appears. Its a brand new freaking phone, and I just got a two year contract with Verizon. I just installed the system update today while on WiFi to try and solve the issue. Didn't work. All my contacts are on standard text app, and now I have no contacts on the hangouts app. How do import those contacts to the hangouts app? Funny how I told the Verizon rep I mainly use the phone for texting and he recommended this phone...

Welcome to Android Forums. Hopefully we can get you straightened out.

First, the Hangouts app when you make it the default texting app should be showing all of your SMS conversations. There is nothing to import - both the stock Messaging app (which is not a good app, in my opinion) and Hangouts are just clients to the SMS database, so whichever app is the default messaging app will show the same conversations.

When did you get the phone? Or, better - how long have you used it?

One thing that may work better is to install a third party texting app. As much as I don't like the stock Messaging app, and I do like Hangouts more, I still have issues with Hangouts, too. With Hangouts ou should be able to see your contacts in the leftmost tab at the top of the screen, or you can just start a messages and it will prompt you to type a recipient (either the number or a contact name should do.)

A good third party messaging app, in my opinion, is an app called Textra. You can search for it in the Play Store. It may be worth trying out to see if it works better for you.

At worst case, if you still get errors, and you haven't had the phone for very long, it might be time to do a factory data reset and start from scratch. However, that's the last thing to try, I think. What I might do is to go into whichever messaging app you are using right now and delete all of the messages that are there - maybe there is a corrupted message that is causing these errors? If that still doesn't fix it, it may be that there is something wrong with your Verizon account that will take a call to technical support to fix. Since you say that your account is new, maybe your account wasn't provisioned properly or something.

Anyway, I hope one of these things helps. Don't do a factory data reset without posting back here first - you could lose important data that you may not want to lose.

As per my official DROID MAXX review on Phandroid.com, anyone curious about anything in regards to the DROID MAXX can ask here, and their question shall be answered. Don't be shy!
How do I view pictures from my gallery on my Vizio TV via the Hdmi cable?

Davidel57

As per my official DROID MAXX review on Phandroid.com, anyone curious about anything in regards to the DROID MAXX can ask here, and their question shall be answered. Don't be shy!
How do i send a group text on a droid maxx? I did very easily on my old droid. i created the group with back up assistant. but I can't text the group. the group texting box is checked.

I have a droid maxx and have enjoyed it for the most part until the other day I was trying to plan a vacation while on the phone. No keyboard will come up in any internet apps, search apps and I can't send a text message while on the phone for the same reason. Any ideas?! This is extremely frustrating! This never used to be a problem... Maybe there was a recent update that made this fall? I tried troubleshooting a bit but came up empty handed. I also tried installing another keyboard but was unable to disable the Google keyboard to use the other one. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a droid maxx and have enjoyed it for the most part until the other day I was trying to plan a vacation while on the phone. No keyboard will come up in any internet apps, search apps and I can't send a text message while on the phone for the same reason. Any ideas?! This is extremely frustrating! This never used to be a problem... Maybe there was a recent update that made this fall? I tried troubleshooting a bit but came up empty handed. I also tried installing another keyboard but was unable to disable the Google keyboard to use the other one. Any help would be much appreciated.

Settings / Language & keyboard and make sure that the keyboard you installed is checked. However, if the keyboard won't show it won't give you a choice to choose another one. (There is usually a notification on the pull down that let's you change keyboards, but only if you have another one checked.)

Also, settings / apps. Scroll down to find Google Keyboard and tap it. Let it refresh and then tap the button "clear data". Then restart the phone.

See if the keyboard now works. If not, go back to settings / apps, Google keyboard and tap the button "uninstall updates". See if that helps.

I dropped my Maxx and the LCD is not working...it's on, but screen is black. I cannot plug into PC, nothing is recognized as being plugged in. How can I recover photos and other files without a screen?

If it was mine I would take it to the repair location and ask if they could repair it without touching what was stored in memory. You might get lucky.

If I couldn't trust the repair facility with my data I could try the repair myself or simply walk away.

... Thom

I dropped my Maxx and the LCD is not working...it's on, but screen is black. I cannot plug into PC, nothing is recognized as being plugged in. How can I recover photos and other files without a screen?

This is a reminder to all regarding the importance of photo backups too your google account or dropbox.

It's nice your backup your contacts also.

Rules of thumb ...
  • Register your phone with a recovery service as the FIRST thing you do out of the box ...
    • Android Device Manager
    • Cerberus
  • Never put anything on your phone you would not like to be in the hands of your worst enemy.
  • Never put anything on your phone you have not made a copy of in some other environment (memory stick, workstation, laptop, cloud, ...).
... Thom

I also encrypt my phone. If I lose it, or it's stolen, I don't want to have somebody else get any of my data. Also, even a factory reset phone can have data recovered if the storage is not encrypted. An encrypted phone will have just psuedo-random noise.

I've been getting Phantom soft key pushes which close me out of whatever I'm trying to do. I've factory reset a few times to no avail. Is this a common problem?

Back
Top Bottom