• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T buying Tmobile?

No that's not enough. Simple mobile and metro pcs are on gsm plus as long as there is options for cellular service that has no bearing. For them to deny the buyout the government would have to show that tmobile had an effect on The overall market

Except they lease their spectrum from AT&T. If AT&T buys out T-Mobile, it will have a monopoly on every available GSM spectrum. The question is whether or not the government will be looking at just the GSM side of things or at the mobile market entirely.

Upvote 0
From wikipedia:
MetroPCS uses CDMA technology to offer service in addition to its 4G network using LTE technology.

Coverage and cell service may improve but AT&T has a bad history with handsets:
disabling HSUPA
delaying updates
delaying handset releases (X10)
Bing
not subsidizing N1
blocking side loading
blocking wifi hotspot
bloatware

and this is just on Android handsets. It's like they took all that pent up frustration at not being able to tamper with the iPhone and took it out on Android.

Upvote 0
Supposedly At&t will be giving phones to T-mobile users when they turn on the switch. The question is, does this affect to all subscribers or only those using a T-Mobile branded phone?

Anyways, At&t is making a pretty big gamble on this deal if they are denied the buyout. So for some reason, I have a feeling this will be accepted, but who knows. I hope it doesn't happen and if it does, I can still use my NS partially on the network (if the merger happens and they turn the switch on before my contract is up) and use it as a backup if I go to another country with a GSM network.

Upvote 0
Supposedly At&t will be giving phones to T-mobile users when they turn on the switch. The question is, does this affect to all subscribers or only those using a T-Mobile branded phone?

Anyways, At&t is making a pretty big gamble on this deal if they are denied the buyout. So for some reason, I have a feeling this will be accepted, but who knows. I hope it doesn't happen and if it does, I can still use my NS partially on the network (if the merger happens and they turn the switch on before my contract is up) and use it as a backup if I go to another country with a GSM network.

Also, which phones will AT&T be giving T-Mobile subscribers? I've been through the experience before with AT&T, and they pretty much forced me either to trade in my HTC Hero for a shitty messaging phone, or leave. Obviously I chose to leave.

Upvote 0
Are they gonna call themselves AT&T-Mobile??? lol My father was just telling me about AT&T buying out T-Mobile, and they will become the largest Network out there. Verizon is currently leading the race. I had AT&T from 2001-2009 and had the iPhone 3 for the whole year of 2009. I had the unlimited internet plan. My 2-yr contract came to an end and decided to downgrade to a cheap pre-paid phone. Now that I've saved up some moolah I had been looking at service again the last month and discovered I shouldn't have ditched AT&T after my contract because now they are limiting the internet usage to 4GB for $30 I believe. I decided to go with T-Mobile because they were the only ones with Unlimited Internet. But my cousin who had the iPhone 3 with AT&T who has been a customer for several years now, upgraded to the iPhone 4 and still maintains the Unlimited Internet. He got the grandfather clause. SO I'm thinking I'm glad I got my T-Mobile with Unlimited Internet just in time! And I along with other T-Mobile users with it should be included in the clause.

Upvote 0
Are they gonna call themselves AT&T-Mobile??? lol My father was just telling me about AT&T buying out T-Mobile, and they will become the largest Network out there. Verizon is currently leading the race. I had AT&T from 2001-2009 and had the iPhone 3 for the whole year of 2009. I had the unlimited internet plan. My 2-yr contract came to an end and decided to downgrade to a cheap pre-paid phone. Now that I've saved up some moolah I had been looking at service again the last month and discovered I shouldn't have ditched AT&T after my contract because now they are limiting the internet usage to 4GB for $30 I believe. I decided to go with T-Mobile because they were the only ones with Unlimited Internet. But my cousin who had the iPhone 3 with AT&T who has been a customer for several years now, upgraded to the iPhone 4 and still maintains the Unlimited Internet. He got the grandfather clause. SO I'm thinking I'm glad I got my T-Mobile with Unlimited Internet just in time! And I along with other T-Mobile users with it should be included in the clause.

It's not unlikely that AT&T will require you to sign up with a new 2-year contract within their pricing scheme in order for you to trade in your T-Mobile phone for a free AT&T phone, meaning you'll have to switch to their $25/mo 2GB data plan. If that's the case, us T-Mobile users will be pretty well screwed, long term as well as short term.

Upvote 0
Does anyone actually think AT&T will trade a Nexus S for a pure Google AT&T phone? Yeah.... very very doubtful. They will give us a branded crap phone with no tethering, no updates and shit service. Who wants a Captivate????
With one less good competitor for subscribers AT&T will see us as sheep to be slaughtered. Seeing as we will already have a contract AT&T will bone us for sure. This is their business model and their business history. Make no mistake.
The other bad news is T-Mobile and AT&T already share their towers. This is a fact. There will be no better service for T-Mobile customers when AT&T takes over. The only difference will be the subpar customer service AT&T is famous for and less choices for us.
All the cell service in the world don't mean crap when your phone sucks and the monopoly you're stuck with treats you like an ATM.
The best phone I've ever owned will soon be rendered useless thanks to AT&T. The company that treats like a king... Rodney King!!!

Upvote 0
Reactions: Simba501
Upvote 0
Your G2X will have AT&T bands already! Once rooted or when they officially switch your all good!

It looks like T-Mobile is future proofing their new phones to run on AT&T – Android and Me

That's exactly why I want to get it. I don't want them to screw me over. I absolutely love my Nexus S. But since it won't work for at&t I feel like that would be a good choice. Plus a tegra 2 phone with stock android is going to be awesome. I just hope that I can get $400-500 for it now instead of the tiny amount i will get for it in a year.

Upvote 0
That's exactly why I want to get it. I don't want them to screw me over. I absolutely love my Nexus S. But since it won't work for at&t I feel like that would be a good choice. Plus a tegra 2 phone with stock android is going to be awesome. I just hope that I can get $400-500 for it now instead of the tiny amount i will get for it in a year.

I'm leaning this way and I'm on ATT lol just pure vanilla with dual core sounds awesome

Upvote 0
by the time that all happens the new nexus will be out with proper bands already for a while

Saying that there will be a new Nexus out with the proper bands is no excuse. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be forced to buy ANOTHER phone just to get one that has 3G again. I don't care how many phones come out between now and then with the proper bands. I bought my Nexus S and they're making it worthless.

What I'm most worried about is that the Nexus S isn't an official T-Mobile phone, so even if AT&T does "upgrade" T-Mobile customers to new devices, there's a very real possibility that the Nexus S won't be an eligible device for upgrade. And if they do let Nexus users upgrade, what do you suppose the odds are we'll get to choose from a new Nexus phone? Have you seen AT&T's Android offerings? It's nothing worth while, all nurfed beyond belief.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones