• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T Xperia Play 4G vs Unlocked Xperia Play R800a

rui-no-onna

Android Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2011
I'm trying to decide between buying the Xperia Play 4G or an unlocked Xperia Play R800a. Aside from the carrier lock (not a big issue since I plan on using AT&T), are there any differences between the two? Or are they pretty much exactly the same hardware aside from the carrier lock?

In particular, does the unlocked Xperia Play R800a support HSPA+ on AT&T? If the R800a doesn't support HSPA+, does it at least support UMTS 900/2100? Thanks!

From the Amazon description page:
Networks: GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900. UMTS/HSPA 800/850/1900/2100
So I think your network question answer is yes, though I'm not too knowledgeable about mobile networks to answer that correctly.

Other differences that I'd guess are:
-AT&T version is blue, R800a is black.
-AT&T version probably comes with more bloatware
-R800a may not come with the media dock.

Once again I'm not positive. Hopefully people with one or the other can confirm these.

Upvote 0
It's definitely worth noting that the unlocked version will have access to updates (maybe ICS soon?) much sooner. AT&T version still does not have 2.3.4 .

Does AT&T or SE plan on releasing the 2.3.4 update to us 4G R800at users? If the phone is unlocked does the Companion software update the android version? I like the features that 2.3.4 has, especially the 720p video recording but my phone insists it is up to date. Fail if you ask me, on the part of SE or ATT...

Upvote 0
No, I think only AT&T and perhaps Sony know. I guess you could try asking Sony or AT&T. Apparently an update was recently certified. According to this page:
Welcome to PTCRB

Update 3.0.1.B.0.285 is apparently an AT&T Xperia Play update and was certified on 12/2/11. So hopefully we are close to an update. I don't know for certain that this even means that it is the 2.3.4 update but I would assume so as the 2.3.3 firmware that came with the XP4g is 3.0.1.B.0.270.

That is according to the page:
4.0.2.D.0.4 firmware certified for Xperia arc and Xperia neo; 3.0.1.B.0.285 certified for Xperia PLAY [Update] | Xperia Blog

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones