• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Atrix Camera vs Inspire Camera

mehsdomi

So I am going to get the Atrix but the thing that worries me is that it is such a next gen phone but only has a 5mp camera and the Inspire has a 8mp camera.

Anyone else feel the the same way?

So I am going to get the Atrix but the thing that worries me is that it is such a next gen phone but only has a 5mp camera and the Inspire has a 8mp camera.

Anyone else feel the the same way?

You can easily print 11" x 14" photos with a 5MP camera. That's a much larger than any photo I've ever printed. 5MP is fine, ESPECIALLY for a phone.

It all depends on the optical sensors and settings. For instance there are some 8 MP cameras that get schooled by the iPhones 5mp. If the software and lens combo is good it will be fine either way

I want to start seeing backside-illuminated CMOS on more phones. As far as I know the Arc and the iphone 4 are the only ones doing that today. The resolution war is silly, we need better ISO quality, not bigger (noisy) pictures.

The Atrix's should be fine as the Droid was fine as well, the Inspires should be Decent but HTC isnt know for making the best cameras on their phones, all in all they should be fine, though they are no Nokia or Sony Ericsson.

I'm also really curious as to the change from 8MP to 5MP on the Atrix 4G. Perhaps Motorola learned that 8MP is really too much in such a tiny sensor and hurts the camera quality? I was afraid that there was going to be another megapixel war in smartphones as there was with digital cameras but as Apple proved easily... it's not about megapixels at all. I'm really curious as to see how improved the Atrix camera is to the Droid X's camera. In terms of Android phones, I believe that the X has the best camera out there in terms of both stills and HD recording put together. Motorola did a fine job with the X and hopefully... they'll continue to progress.

Something that I also really hope for is that Motorola continues with the "bokeh effect" on closeups, but also have an option to sharpen the entire image.

I'm also really curious as to the change from 8MP to 5MP on the Atrix 4G. Perhaps Motorola learned that 8MP is really too much in such a tiny sensor and hurts the camera quality? I was afraid that there was going to be another megapixel war in smartphones as there was with digital cameras but as Apple proved easily... it's not about megapixels at all. I'm really curious as to see how improved the Atrix camera is to the Droid X's camera. In terms of Android phones, I believe that the X has the best camera out there in terms of both stills and HD recording put together. Motorola did a fine job with the X and hopefully... they'll continue to progress.

Yeah, the iPhone 4 camera is excellent. It's like a good mid to to mid-upper grade P&S.

My Captivate isn't terrible, but is pretty much only good where there's plenty of light - the lack of an LED flash was _almost_ a deal breaker for me. On a 1-10 if the iP4 is the reference 10, mine is probably a 6-7 (assuming lighted shots, otherwise it's a 3-4).

I've seen some outstanding pics from some Sony phones as well, but that makes some sense as they make some very good cameras (P&S and DSLR).

I'm usually with the wife and she almost always has her iP4, but I'd LIKE a more flexible phone camera. One of my purchasing factors for the Atrix is an LED flash and what seems to be a consensus that modern Moto phones have pretty solid cameras.

I'm also really curious as to the change from 8MP to 5MP on the Atrix 4G. Perhaps Motorola learned that 8MP is really too much in such a tiny sensor and hurts the camera quality?

I don't think so. Motorola also announced the Droid Bionic, which does have an 8MP camera.

I don't think so. Motorola also announced the Droid Bionic, which does have an 8MP camera.

Hmm... I am really puzzled then. Well... I hope the Atrix has a solid camera that is at least on the lines of the Droid X's minimum. It would suck for it to be worse.

Hmm... I am really puzzled then. Well... I hope the Atrix has a solid camera that is at least on the lines of the Droid X's minimum. It would suck for it to be worse.

Verizon has kind set the precedence for their high[er] end consumer phones being 4.3", having an 8MP camera with the Droid X. I'm thinking they didn't want to have too many variants through the product line - so this way, they offer a new Droid that matches the screen size and camera spec, but adds LTE, better CPU/GPU and display resolution.

Probably easier for them to deal with at the sales channel, otherwise, you get the "Well, this is the new phone, yes, the MP are lower, but it's better..." that confuses the civilians :D

Same kind of goes for AT&T, who now has a new 4" phone to match their Captivate, etc.

...?

^ Ahhh possibly that makes sense. It would be better for marketing also for Verizon to say 8MP instead of 5MP.

Coming from an iphone 3gs with a 600mhz processor, 256 of ram and a 3.0 megapixel camera..im going to feel like i have gone from a pinto to a cadilliac CTS-V regardless.

I hear you, I'm going to be jumping from a Iphone 3g and I cant wait to leave it behind. 400mhz and 128mb of ram is a pos now a days.

If the camera is important to you, there is one phone on the market that is head and shoulders above the rest: Nokia N8. It doesn't have a backside-illuminated sensor, but it is bigger than most point and shoots + xenon flash, and good post processing software. Just look at these: Mobile Phone camera example photos - Esato

Yeah, from what I've seen online, the N8 takes some outstanding pictures, but it's just not compelling othewise (i.e., OS, features, etc.). When either of our camera phones isn't good enough for our chosen models/OS, I'll just pack a "real" camera :)

I'm going to use my same [semi-lame] car metaphor *again* :D

It's like buying an Accord over a GT3, because the Accord has a better radio.

I think the Moto will have a better camera than the HTC.. we will have to wait and see.

@DT
On the UI side, i can agree with you to a certain extent.. really symbian 3 UI isn't as bad as most tech blogs would have you believe. As far as the features I can't agree at all. HDMI out, built in fm transmitter, USB OTG, and 5 bands of 3G radio, are features very few phones have in a small package like that, if any. Not even mentioning the multimedia capabilities.. i mean you can use your wii joystick to control the thing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_yQvkcllGM

It's like buying an Accord over a GT3, because the Accord has a better radio.

If you spend 4 hours a day in bumper-to-bumper traffic with nothing to keep you sane but the radio, the Accord might be a better buy :D

The Atrix looks like a great device, but it ain't perfect. In some areas (like the camera) it's going to get smoked by "lesser" devices. If those features are really important to someone, then going with the lesser device is not as foolish as some posters would have us to believe.

My big problem with converged devices like smartphones is that I really struggle with the trade-offs. Horsepower, camera, PIM apps, connectivity, accessories, carrier restrictions, reliability, battery life, audio quality ... it's a huge balancing act and whatever you chose, you're going to give up something. Some of us are here trying to figure out exactly what the Atrix compromises will be. Don't hate us because we're looking for weaknesses. We've been around the block enough times to know that Atrix will have its share and knowing them up front can save a lot of frustration down the road.

If you spend 4 hours a day in bumper-to-bumper traffic with nothing to keep you sane but the radio, the Accord might be a better buy :D

The Atrix looks like a great device, but it ain't perfect. In some areas (like the camera) it's going to get smoked by "lesser" devices. If those features are really important to someone, then going with the lesser device is not as foolish as some posters would have us to believe.

My big problem with converged devices like smartphones is that I really struggle with the trade-offs. Horsepower, camera, PIM apps, connectivity, accessories, carrier restrictions, reliability, battery life, audio quality ... it's a huge balancing act and whatever you chose, you're going to give up something. Some of us are here trying to figure out exactly what the Atrix compromises will be. Don't hate us because we're looking for weaknesses. We've been around the block enough times to know that Atrix will have its share and knowing them up front can save a lot of frustration down the road.

Very well said. This is why I have been so torn. Although im still leaning inspire the atrix is still tempting

What if I'm buying the car for weekend track duty :D

Obviously it's all in your perspective. :)

I wouldn't prioritize the camera over the OS/Apps/Flexibility, especially when just about all phone cameras are a bit of a compromise anyway.

Not to mention, I *really* like Android, so unless the feature was completely absent from my device (and something I highly desired) or horrifically implemented (vs. so-so to pretty decent), then I'm into Android for the long haul :)

Back
Top Bottom