• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Auto-Key Factory Recovery Patcher--- Testers Wanted

No you cant unbrick with it.
Only creates a patched recovery that needs to be flashed before a brick happens.

Take a look at this:

ab-updates-state-machine.png

Obviously our brick device is in that orange position recover mode. Is this the very commands you used in your thread? Coz I think the commands here in this link:

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/ab_updates.html

will unbrick our device if you look and analyze at the flowchart above and know what commands to use to bypass that orange position where we are at aka brick.

Upvote 0
@asianrocker, I'm pretty sure the link you included is just for (very) new devices like the Pixel which support multiple sets of boot partitions (i.e., a current one and a known-good "fall back" one) that create a fault-tolerant means of installing OTAs.
I kind of disagree. we have qualcom chips right? Some dude in the interwebz said this chips are unbrickable. And that flowchart is proof. If I know how to compile android language I would have tried this by now.

This already tells you what to do:

OEMs and SoC vendors who wish to implement the feature must add the following support to their bootloaders:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
IF your/the device supports the multiple partitions (i.e., for the slot A and slot B areas) AND the O/S has the support built/baked-in to the Android OS (Nougat v7.x) using the info from the page you linked to, then yes, it's got more of a capability to "unbrick"--actually, recover from a failed boot or OTA installation.

That all must be present currently in your device.

The only devices that I know about that do this are the two Pixel devices.

Are you speaking or asking about the Alcatel One Touch Fierce 2 (that this thread is about) and does it meet these criteria?

edit: also, it's not a given that all 7.x (and above) devices will have or set-aside enough space to support the dual slots and multiple partitions needed to implement the A/B OTA scheme.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know and I am talking about Fierce of course. But most likely will throw this garbage phone anyway. Currently getting rid of things we don't use anymore.

I would like to unbrick this. And only big country seem to care to do something about it. And the only one who knows what he's doing. And I think I am just gonna give up.

Are you aware of allwinner tablet? Which is my visual land tablet. Someone on the forum for my tablet said visual land is unbrickable coz it has a lot of boot options, FEL mode- whatever that is, from SD, from ADB, and then I think I link it here some dude had a blog that qualcom chips are unbrickable too.

I don't compile android so just thought of linking it here in hopes someone who knows what they're doing will take a look at it.

So I don't know if the unbrickability depends on chip or the software. IN both the cases I said looks like it depends on the chip. Not the software.

Upvote 0
Well this is a pretty exciting moment for me.
I have spent many hours writing some serious shell scripts.

First of all let me tell you a little bit about Auto-Key. What is it?

Auto-key is a program built using shell scripts with the original intention of patching a stock recovery to allow everyone to flash zip files through the stock recovery.

In the case of the One Touch Fierce 2 and many others I am sure there is no TWRP or CWM for the device yet.
And as well no way to flash a backup of the phone when things go wrong leaving us with an unusable device.
It's not bricked but we cant repair system files because we can only flash a update that is signed by the manufacturer.

Well my friends sadly enough for manufacturers those days are over.

Here is how it works.

First the program pulls the /system folder off the phone.
Next it grabs the OTACERTS.ZIP or RELEASEKEY.X509.PEM from the system folder.
This allows us to determine what public exponent was used by the manufacturer.

Then Auto-key will make you your own set of private and public keys. This is a complete set of keys that could be used to compile a custom rom like cyanogenmod or aosp.

Next after auto-key determines the stock offset value it creates the elusive /res/keys file.
The keys file is dumped using you private keyset.

Then we unpack the recovery image and replace the /res/keys file in the ramdisk with our new one.

Once that is done and any other modifications you want to make to the ramdisk are completed the ramdisk gets re-packed.

After all that its just a matter of copying the recovery.img to the sd card and then using DD to write it to the recovery partition.

Sign any zip you want to flash with the new recovery, and yes it will work in fastboot if your device supports fastboot,

Anyway itll flash the file.....You wont get signature failed.

Please note you must sign the zip with the -w option, Signapk.jar alone is not good enough.

Now i need a few more days to finish things up so im not including the flashing or repacking functions today.

This way there is zero risk of anyone doing any kind of damage. If you are a developer you could easily do the repack and dd and sign the zip with -w if you want.

Right now i need to know what all dependencies are going to be required to run my program. And make sure that everything functions well on other systems.

Currently it is designed for a linux system. I am running Ubuntu and I have a full development enviornment installed. I will try to get this going in cygwin for windows so some testing there could be helpful as well.

All the scripts are open and free to modify as you wish. Just share your ideas.

Im going to start testing this tommorow on a fres ubuntu install and then on windows.

The program will tell you what to do when you start running it. Pretty much follow the menus in order.
When you go to a sub menu complete all the options before you return to the previous menu. Then execute the next function on the menu.

Like i said there is currently no function included that could hurt any device. So take it for a spin. I want some feedback and ideas and see what we run into before i spend a week refining it all.

Thanks Have fun and enjoy.

PS you have to unzip the file in your home directory.

So the folder Auto-key will be in your home directory.

type ./autokey.sh to start it from the auto-key folder.

Minimum requirements are
ADB
JAVA
OPENSSL

This runs in the terminal only.

Hi,

I have Car multimedia - Flyaudio 8023.
There is stock recovery, and i'm trying to change the zip file that should be flashed with addintional changes done on it.
When i'm flashing the zip, it say cannot validate the signature.
I dont own the signature - manufacturer has it.
Is there any way to sign the file without breaking stock recovery verification?

Upvote 0
Welcome to AF, @Sagi :).

Does you device have an unlockable bootloader or otherwise can replace / update the stock recovery?

Bigcountry's method described here takes advantage of the fact that he's able to replace the stock recovery with one that he modded/tweaked (and I'm guessing that required root access, as well--that detail escapes me at the moment).

Upvote 0
Welcome to AF, @Sagi :).

Does you device have an unlockable bootloader or otherwise can replace / update the stock recovery?

Bigcountry's method described here takes advantage of the fact that he's able to replace the stock recovery with one that he modded/tweaked (and I'm guessing that required root access, as well--that detail escapes me at the moment).

Hi,

I really dont know if the bootloader is unlocked.
Also i dont know if it can be replaced with custom one.
This why i asked hear.
I have root on the device. so i can do everything in the system.

I would like to get option flash my own customized update.zip in the stock recovery.
3 things that i would like to understand:
1. Is there a way to sign the update.zip file so it will pass the stock recover verification process?
2. Is there way to pull the key from the system and use it for sign the zip file?
3. what i need to do to get modded recovery and if i have a root access can i flash it straight from the system?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Let me answer your question this way: from what I understand, Bigcounty modified the stock recovery on the Fierce to accept his signing keys. Any .zip files flashed would also have to be signed using his keys (i.e., what the new, tweaked recovery expects). The key/caveat here is that he was able to update/replace the stock recovery with his customized one (i.e., identical to stock except for the signing keys portions).

So, if you can do that (the above), then YES, there's a way...

...otherwise, NO, you can't (without an unlocked bootloader) get the stock recovery (or bootloader) to flash anything that's not signed with the manufacturer's keys.

Upvote 0
How i can verify if i can do that?

Ah, that's the rub and a big question/ask: I'm not at all familiar with your device, so it would be very difficult (and a little irresponsible) of me to try to suggest things without having previously done so myself.

I think I'd have a good, deep read through of the threads that Bigcountry has posted as a start for getting a gist of the signing-related efforts. As for the replacing/updating of your recovery, you'll need to find/research resources that have details about your device and whether (and how) or not the recovery partition actually can be updated.

Your question(s) are not really simple in that one could post a short list of steps, after all...:).

Upvote 0
Hi, Sir I need help about such topic. I have a Infinix Hot S 3, qualcomm snapdragon.
State of the device;
1. Bootloader is locked and it seems it cannot be unlocked.
2. I rooted the device

I need help on porting the twrp for the device, I start some porting but the device cannot boot. When I unpack and repack the stock recovery and flash without changing any file it refuse to boot. I did my investigation and I think the stock recovery must be signed after unpack with the stock keys before the boot can recognize. So please can you held me to use your auto key to sign the twrp recovery.img after porting. Or do you have any idea about the solution regardless the locked bootloader. Thank you in advance. Hope this thread is still active.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones