• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Avoid Sprint at all Costs!! Worst Experience Ever re:Note 2

BillJr106

So Sprints 14 Day Satisfaction Guarantee aka 14 Day Exchange Policy is quite a tricky little SOB. I exchanged a DEFECTIVE Samsung Galaxy Note 2 under the 14 day policy on the 14th day. I was told by the Sprint rep on the phone to go to a store and simply swap it out rather than have them send me a new one online where I bought it. However I received another device with different problems. An so began the worst experience of my life with Sprint.

First I was told they would send me another one, which was shot down immediately under the excuse that I swapped it in the store and Sprint.com is no longer responsible. Of course I found out shortly after that the store is also not responsible since I bought it online originally. Well I later called up to clear up the situation. I was transferred to a rep, and after they reviewed my account I was transferred to TEP Asurion?!! Wait a minute, I dont have insurance, I would never make a bad purchase like that. So I hang up and call back, and thats when I find out Sprint added insurance to my line on their own, for my protection. Gee, thanks but no thanks. I call back and have it removed and begin over again with my situation, and the lady says they will send me a new device since I am within 5 days of owning the phone, and sends me to Sprint Orders over the phone. The Order employee gets on the line, I explain Im just being transferred to get my replacement device. He says I cant get a device because I am out of the 14 day policy. After talking to him I am given to a manager, they tell me I can get a new device at a store, and here is the address and they will give you a new one. I go to the store the next day. The store says we are not a corporate store, you have to go online or call Sprint. I am aggravated, and I call back. Again I am transferred to a rep, then a manager, then to Sprint Orders, where I am told they cannot give me a new device. I explain again that they replaced my device with a defective device, and that I just want a new one, or at this point a refund, whichever is easier. After an hour of arguing with the gentleman he tells me I am stuck with the device I just paid $750 for despite it not working properly. I said I have had enough, so please send me to retentions as I plan to cancel my service immediately. I am transferred to retentions and I proceed to cancel my primary line and have the other 3 prepped for transfer to Verizon. Additionally I would simply file a small claims case which costs only $20 for me to do, and because they have stores in my state I can file it here and they must appear. Finally before completing the act, the rep asks why I am doing this. I explain the situation for what seems like the 20th time ( unknowingly this will not be the last time I explain it ). She apologizes deeply, checks with her manager, and tells me how sorry she is non stop and offers me a new device or a refund. I told her I will gladly take the new device. That is after all, all I wanted. A working Galaxy Note 2. After verifying my mailing address, and confirming my order, she passes me to her manager to ensure that I have been taken care of. I say of course. This all takes place over 2 hours as I sat outside the store that would not help me. I head home, eat dinner and grab some needed rest.

The next day, I feel great about finally having been able to get rid of this dud of a device. I notice a voicemail, and I check it. Oh its the Sprint rep from last night who verified my order. She now says they can not send it, and I need to get it in the store. She calls me back later, and starts calling stores to arrange for me to pick up a new device. I am on hold for 15 minutes, and she hangs up on me. I never hear from her again. I call back and get a new person, and I begin explaining yet again what happened, and this time a rep named Kenny assures me that she did take care of my account, as it shows that I am not in the 14 day exchange policy again, and I should just head to the store and they will swap it out. I head to yet another store this time finally feeling better that this is going to be all over. I hand my device to the employee, explain the story briefly, show him a few of the defects that are easier to demonstrate, and await my device. The first employee is already preparing to swap my device, when another one comes over and asks to see what he is doing. He says I cant get a new device. I ask him to please read the lengthy notes on my account as the previous employee did. He says I cant give you a new device, regardless of what they said on the phone, that he does not have the STOCK for that type of exchange, only for sales. I am furious, and he calls the Sprint back office and puts me on the phone after talking with them. They again tell me I cant get a new device since I am out of the 14 day period. I explain for the 100th time that I was leaving Sprint and retentions had offered the new device to keep my service. They dont care, because that was later rejected the next day by some manager. I tell the rep on the line I guess I will just go back to dropping my lines and filing a lawsuit as that was my previous intentions. He asks me to hold. I talk to the store clerk and he is appalled at their behaviour. 15 minutes later he comes back and transfers me to his manager, she will assist me. She asks me to hold while she reads all of the notes on my account. I am on hold for no less than an additional 20 minutes, on a phone in a Sprint store. Suddently someone finally answers the line. Its a new rep, asking me how he can assist me. He doesnt even know who I am. I once again START ALL OVER, and even the Sprint employee cant believe how they are treating me and he informs me to not give up because it is ridiculous what they are doing. After another 30 minutes, and ANOTHER manager, I am told they will send me a replacement device and since they dont have refurbished devices they will have to send me a new device, but want to charge me $35. I am more than happy to pay $35 at this point. I am later told it is backordered because their warehouse is empty ( something doesnt sound right to me at this point but I continue ). I give my address etc and confirm once again I am getting a brand new device. The next Monday ( this last took place on a Saturday ) I receive confirmation that I missed first pickup of the delivery. Wow! That was fast, so much for backorder!! Excited I check my email and get the tracking number via text message from Sprint. I see that it says they sent me an Advanced Replacement Phone. I dont like the sound of that. I send a message to find out if this is a new phone. Tuesday the device comes, and this time the UPS delivery man leaves everything on the porch, so I am unable to refuse delivery. I open the box, and confirm my fears later with the email from Sprint. This is a device someone returned to the store, and it is guaranteed to only "be in good physical condition". Terrific, a refurb. I try it out and can immediately see it is sluggish. I film it compared to my device ( my device runs good, but has flaws with the S Pen, WIFI, and massive battery drain that even the original device didnt have ) so I can document how crappy this device is. I cannot believe what I have gone through up until now, and I know I will be fighting to get the 15$ they have charged for TEP and the $35 charged for this replacement removed in addition to my lawsuit that I will file Friday or Monday depending on the holidays.

The moral of the story? Take a full refund within the 14 day policy. Take your refund and buy the device from Best Buy using price matching. Their insurance covers everything, and they hand you a new device right out of the box right in the store. Sprint has lost all of my loyalty and I have every intention of leaving them once I settle on a plan with Verizon. I will even be getting the same phones I have now with a few exceptions that they cant provide. On top of all that, dont forget to factor in the reduced coverage I have had for the last few months since Hurricane Sandy hit and they cant seem to fix the towers fast enough, and you will see why I have given up on them....

Sincerely,
William Sheridan aka Ex Sprint Loyalist...

Man, I was getting pissed reading it. I've been in situations like that before, I'll be it, not so extreme. I've only had one experience with sprint many years ago and it to was awful. Been with big red for more than a decade. They aren't perfect, but they get most of it right most of the time. Now if they can just send me my note 2 already.

Great write up and hope your Verizon experience is better.

Wow! Your situation is very upsetting. How dare they? Sprint has morons for employees for real.... I hope you sue them and win.

Seriously sorry you went thru all that. Sprint has taken this 14 day policy and misconstrued it to all hell. I'm speaking from experience so I know exactly what you went thru.

I had gotten the iPhone 4S then exchanged it the next day for the Epic 4G Touch. That night when I got home and started using the phone I noticed there were serious camera issues which COULD be replicated in the store by every employee who touched it and these idiots would not replace the phone telling me I had "already exchanged once."

I snapped. Started by asking if everyone was incompetent. They didn't have enough sense to realize the camera being defective qualified for a new phone. I honestly believe the box had been dropped when they went in the back too get it but I can't prove that. To make matters worse, 3 of them had the nerve to whip out their phones to show me "they didn't have any problems."

I went outside the store. Called Sprint. Walked back in and handed the idiot manager my phone. I'm not sure all that was said during that call but the manager of the store all of a sudden became Mr. Nice and gave me a brand new phone.

I recommend this site to anyone with an issue like yours. Go to planetfeedback.com and fill out the form. It's all self explanatory. Once you hit submit you should hear from someone from Sprint with CEO rights within 48 hrs. You spent too much money AND time for them to treat you like this.

Two years ago I was extremely satisfied how their customer service was handled. But I've had bad experiences with the last two of the three times I went to a Sprint store. The last time was actually quite pleasant, that's because I came in and say I'd like to buy the Note 2. I was in and out in 10 minutes.

I was insulted the second to the last time I visited. I was at their Note 2 display and tinkering with the display, I was so excited that I planned to buy the phone already. When I was looking for a customer rep so I can buy the phone, I saw 3 who were free over at the podium talking to each other, so I asked for one of their attention, immediately I sense that I was bothering their little chat with their faces and their reluctance to move and eyeballing each other on who will serve me. Finally one of them figured to do their job and assist me, before the purchase I asked about the charging pins that I read about in this forum. And he whipped out his Galaxy Nexus and pointed out like this one? I said yeah, he then tells me that it's not a feature of all GN2. I said but I read it online, his facial expression was either saying I'm stupid and I don't know anything or his just annoyed that I pulled him off his nice little chat with his buddies. I was so disappointed with his service that I held off on buying and just left. I vowed to wait for the phone in best buy and buy it there where they're happy to assist me with any of the questions I have and not like I was wasting their time.

Two weeks later Best Buy still doesn't have the phone in stock, and I couldn't wait anymore. So I went to the Sprint Store again and made my intentions clear. I'm not here to waste their precious time, and said "I'd like to buy the Note 2" not "I'd like to see the Note 2". This time I had a better experience. Was in and out in 10 minutes.

Sprint should seriously train their store staff better. If not for the phones availability, I was considering to transfer to AT&T or buy it at Best Buy, too bad neither had the phone in stock.

That situation stinks, but to be honest all the carriers are the same. I had a very similar incident with Verizon over the S3.

Sprint has done me the worst of all though....I returned an item to them in their pre-paid box and they claimed I returned an empty box and wanted to charge me full retail. After nearly a 6 month fight, their internal investigation revealed the receiving department lost the device I returned and wasn't honest. That is when I rejoined Verizon, lol.

Same issue with Dell and my laptop. Broke within 14 days, sent new broke one, then sent repair tech, still broke, 4 laptops later since all had issues with a flickering screen, I was stuck with it since I had it past 14 days! No refund, multiple manager, 30 people on the phone for days lying. Yada, yada, yada. Finally got a different model. Feel you pain! Bad deal.

I was all ready to read your story and tell you you were overreacting or being too picky, but honestly if your story is true, I can't believe you we're treated that badly. You shouldn't have any trouble with the lawsuit. Better call Saul.

definitely sounds like a very frustrating situation complicated more by confirmed low inventory levels and tons of misinformation. ....mostly misinformation

what was the defect on the phones?

I can definitely take the time to clarify the tons of misinformation you were given if ot helps any. just let me know!

I was all ready to read your story and tell you you were overreacting or being too picky, but honestly if your story is true, I can't believe you we're treated that badly. You shouldn't have any trouble with the lawsuit. Better call Saul.

I assure you the story is true... I even left out some of the lesser phone calls in, so this is actually an "abridged" version... its just been a nightmare... its still on going, and im still getting calls to settle the issue, mostly asking me to remove my complaints and consider the situation having been taken care of...

I just cant believe all the nonsense, and in the end it seems I am indeed stuck with the phone and will be filing a small claims suit. Im sure the phone may be in high demand, but when stores tell me that they dont have inventory to "exchange" but only for "sales", well they never finished my sale, so that is just bullshit... Anyway, all true, and I wish I was being picky, it was just a nightmare... and I cant even waste time on it anymore...

The defect on the first phone was a software issue. The phone hung when installing a Samsung App from the App store, and afterwards developed an issue where it would crash an hang, almost as if there a was something that was changed or corrupted during installation that hard resets couldnt fix. Otherwise the phone was perfect, and was the best of the few phones Ive had. The second phone had some issues with the SPen button not working properly when turning off Air View, as well as WIFI that wouldnt turn off despite disabling Sprint Optimizer, and even turning off WIFI only for it to turn itself back on. Also, not sure if it is related, but the phone NEVER goes to sleep. The first phone once I turned the screen off, I could turn it back on seconds later, and it would turn WIFI back on every time, since it disabled it as soon as the phone went black. The others never turned it off, and you coul dsee that ( when going to Battery in settings ) the phone never went to sleep, waking up every few seconds. This caused about 3% drain or so an hour. The first phone made it through an 8 hour night with about 2-3% loss.

Was the store a corporate sprint store or a retailer?

regardless of which it is my opinion they were wrong to turn him away.

as far as being stuck with a non working/defective device....this is hardly the case. Samsung offers a warranty on the device. Yes, what you went through was wrong in my opinion but don't use this as an excuse not to hold the manufqcturer responsible for the product defects.

Unfortunately at this point policy at Sprint will interfere with resolution in store. I am not going to get into the policy misquotes etc that you received but merely point out there are two simple ways to fix this at this point

1. pay the $35 repair fee at a corporate store for the phone to be evaluated and action to be taken
----consider the insurance btw....with it there would be no $35 fee without it options are limited

2. contact Samsung about the device warranty.

I also suggest calling customer care even retentions. at the least (if I read correctly) you were charged $35 within the 14 days? you may be able to get that back.

Best show ever

Back
Top Bottom