• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bad kernel flash + broken power button

maarrrrr

Lurker
Dec 2, 2012
So as the title suggests, I flashed a bad kernel and I can't go into recovery because my power button is broken. First, about the power button. It seems to be stuck on "on" so when I pull the battery and put it back, the phone turns on. I can go to the bootloader by only holding volume up but when I get there, buttons won't work, even volume. This is probably because of the power button being held "on". Also, I have opened my phone up and there seems to be no dirt lodged in the button. Next, the kernel. I flashed a kernel that I was sure was compatible. After the Google screen, all I get is an endless black screen. Now, I think it boots to OS because after I wait awhile and tap on the area of Jelly Beans unlock, the phone vibrates. No screen though. Help, please! Thank you!
ROM was Strawberry and flashed kernel was Thalamus 4.1.2 if it helps.

First and foremost, my biggest suggestion is to try cleaning the power button. I know you mentioned it appeared to have no dirt. I have an Infuse that had the same issue. The power button was as if it were constantly pushed. I took apart the phone down to the board. Even the button directly on the board could be pushed and clicked. However, I used a Q-Tip to let a few drops of rubbing alcohol soak the button and this fixed the issue.

Another option to look into is a USB jig that replicates power button functionality. They are fairly cheap and available on ebay.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones