• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Battery and 2init ??

Bowslayer

Aug 27, 2010
Are all the 2Init Roms going to drain my battey like CM7? Im really liking the customization options and speed especially with BWC. However I guess I maybe down-played the many complaints I read about this battery issue.
Im probably looking to head back to Apex which isnt as "fun" as CM7. However with Hunting season around the corner Ill be spending many hours in the woods and do NOT need my battery dying so quickly in case of an emergency. (This is still a Phone, right?)

Are all the 2Init Roms going to drain my battey like CM7? Im really liking the customization options and speed especially with BWC. However I guess I maybe down-played the many complaints I read about this battery issue.
Im probably looking to head back to Apex which isnt as "fun" as CM7. However with Hunting season around the corner Ill be spending many hours in the woods and do NOT need my battery dying so quickly in case of an emergency. (This is still a Phone, right?)

What version are you on? there was a battery fix applied to the newest build of CM7 as well as the current build of MIUI. I am running MIUI and my battery is pretty darn good.

Upvote 0
ive been using miui on the X since it came out which is also 2nd init i believe, and my battery life isnt great but i cant complain either. I always have bluetooth GPS and wifi on not to mention my phone set to 1.25ghz, and after a day of use (starts 11am, around an our of streaming google music to my car via bluetooth daily, an hour or so of games, around 100 or so texts+emails,and some web surfing) im still at around 20% before i throw it on the charger at 2am'ish

Upvote 0
What version are you on? there was a battery fix applied to the newest build of CM7 as well as the current build of MIUI. I am running MIUI and my battery is pretty darn good.

Where did you get this info? I would like to see it for myself. Someone said earlier there was a change made to power_profile.xml, but I've compared it to the power_profile.xml in OMGB and Liquid GB, and there seems to be no change, the files are identical.

Upvote 0
I know that RevNumber's unofficial CM7 nightlies have the battery fix in them but I didn't hear about the code being implemented into the official nightlies. Also Mobile Sensei is supposed to be letting us all in on his battery fix soon.

Do you know what nightly it was that first included the fix? I compared the power_profile.xml to RevNumbers nightly CM4DX Nightly Build 2011-08-15 and the files seem to be identical, meaning no fix, unless the change was made somewhere else...

Upvote 0
Do you know what nightly it was that first included the fix? I compared the power_profile.xml to RevNumbers nightly CM4DX Nightly Build 2011-08-15 and the files seem to be identical, meaning no fix, unless the change was made somewhere else...

I think it was #61 but I'm not completely sure. I've been running Liquid but have been checking out threads where a battery fix has been discussed. Seems like it might be working. Don't know if you've seen this thread over at Rootzwiki but it's pretty interesting:

CM7 based ROMs not sleeping?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I think it was #61 but I'm not completely sure. I've been running Liquid but have been checking out threads where a battery fix has been discussed. Seems like it might be working. Don't know if you've seen this thread over at Rootzwiki but it's pretty interesting:

CM7 based ROMs not sleeping?

I compared them and if you are running Liquid GB 2.6 it already has that mod. All it was was changing a value for cpu idle settings "2" to "4".

Reactions: jaydubbs
Upvote 0
Im on Build #51 also. I wouldn't exactly call it a theory if I have personally realized a major difference between CM7 and ApeX.
Incidentally thats why I asked the question about other 2ndinit Roms.

Only difference I realized was that apex is super slow compared to xmas, and for me, had worse battery life. Weird, huh?

Reactions: Bowslayer
Upvote 0
Only difference I realized was that apex is super slow compared to xmas, and for me, had worse battery life. Weird, huh?

Id say so. Apex is always smooth and fast for me. Very stable also. I always seem to go back to it. If it was as customizable as some of these others I would have no reason to ever try anything else.

Upvote 0
I think the biggest problem is the FroYo kernel. I remember even going from Apex on FroYo to stock Gingerbread with the new kernel they put out had superior battery life.

The good news is I know Framework was close to having the 2nd-init done on the Gingerbread kernel but was having issues. Last night he said he gave what he had done to Cvpcs and it should now be done soon.

I think once we get on the most recent kernel we should see better battery life. I am still getting around 16 hours per charge on my phone, which works for me, but was not as good as Gingerbread, but is not far off what I was seeing on FroYo.

Upvote 0
To me, it seems like the problem is related to the radio. When I'm at school, the battery drain isn't too bad. But it is substantially higher while on 3g than it was with GB. At my house where I get bad service, the battery drain is a lot higher when I have my data on compared to using it with the gingerbread kernel.Off topic, but I thought that the kernel that they booted on was irreverent. Why are they bothering to put it on the kernel that came with gingerbread, no need to sbf to froyo to install it seems like the only advantage but idk what I'm talking about.

Upvote 0
I personally can tell a big difference in the 2nd init roms and battery life. I tried cm7 and wasn't crazy about it but loved miui minus the battery life and browser lag my phone seems to have with it. It's almost like miui has the same data drop that gb has. At least that's my personal experience. It sucks but currently I'm back on froyo running darkslide. That seems to be where I get the most out of battery life and usually no problems with data connection. Gonna wait a little bit and try miui again in an update or two and see if the build performs any better with my phone.

Upvote 0
battery drain is going to be on any 2init rom, your battery is basically acting like that of a samsung right now, its not entirely bad, if you can get a full day on your battery then your ok.
if your constantly using it and having the display on then yeah its going to be drained.

everyone knew that this was going to be an issue, the continue to want better battery life, you might as well sbf back to froyo and take the rooted gb ota, all those roms have great battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones